07020 Forums  

Go Back   07020 Forums > Of Interest > General Discussion

General Discussion Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:58 PM

Valory Bardinas is on a distinguished road
contamination at Octagon site.

Our Board of Adjustment approved the Octagon building for residential use. As we speak this building is being demolished without any real oversight by the DEP. Our Land Use Adminstrator was told by the DEP that no demolition was to take place before a remediation plan was approved.Well to date a plan has NOT been approved, and yet the building is being dismantled. I informed the DEP of these facts but they have turned a blind eye. Just reading the article below will give you some insight to the contamination problem at this site. Imagine our Board of Adjustment members, who were appointed by Mayor Nancy Merse and the majority Democrat councilmembers think it is okay for people to live on top of this contamination. I implored the council to be proactive on this problem before I left the council, but to no avail, the only members concerned beside myself were Councilman Gallagher, and Councilwoman Robbio.
Who is protecting our residents, where is the oversight.

Edgewater Plant Settles Pollutant Case
An Edgewater chemical manufacturer will pay $100,000 after state inspectors found pesticides and other toxic substances in rusted containers and seeping out of open bags, state officials said Thursday.

The negotiated fine comes 18 months after the Department of Environmental Protection found numerous examples of improperly stored chemicals during a routine inspection at Octagon Process Inc.

The company, a manufacturer of airplane de-icing chemicals, is in the process of phasing out operations at its River Road plant and moving to an undetermined location.

During the August 2002 inspection, DEP officials found pesticides, volatile organic compounds, and other toxic substances in containers that were rusted or corroded, or in bags that were opened and exposed. Some laboratory bottles were broken, and inspectors found evidence of spills inside the building.

"Octagon Process created a significant threat to public health and the environment by hanging on to old, expired chemicals that had exceeded their shelf life and were no longer usable," said DEP Commissioner Bradley Campbell in a statement.

After being served with the violations, the company worked with the DEP to remove about 47,000 pounds of hazardous wastes and 55,000 pounds of non-hazardous wastes from the plant and send it to disposal sites. Octagon was deemed back in compliance by October 18, 2002.

Because the violations had posed a potential threat of fire, explosion, or hazardous waste release into the environment, the DEP last year fined the company $175,000. The company decided to enter settlement talks rather than fight the penalty, and the fine was reduced to $100,000.

"We thought settling was the prudent thing to do," said Joe Burgard, the company's vice president for operations.

Burgard explained the bulk of the violations by saying the company had fallen behind in getting rid of its excess inventory and then had the "unfortunate timing of a visit from the DEP."

Octagon, located at the Edgewater plant since 1959, has phased out its manufacture of pesticides, paint strippers, and specialty lubricants over the years and now makes only de-icing products for airplanes and runways. The company plans to relocate sometime next year, once a new location is found, Burgard said.

The planned move follows an exodus of industry from River Road, once a rail and shipping hub of factories but now a row of high-priced condos and apartments. "We're the last eyesore in town," Burgard said.

A developer is proposing to construct two nine-story apartments at the site, after proposals for taller buildings were rejected, said Councilwoman Valory Bardinas. A hearing before the Board of Adjustments is planned for April 7.

By Colleen Diskin
Bergen Record - 3/12/2004
Old 01-08-2007, 01:59 AM

jerseyangel is on a distinguished road
Re: contamination at Octagon site.

scary!!!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:49 AM

Yes, the fact that people who are elected to represent the people of this town, ALL THE PEOPLE, regardless of political affiliation, would allow this to continue. The school where our precious children attend is only two blocks away.
Edgewater deserves better.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:36 AM

kate is on a distinguished road
Question Re: contamination at Octagon site.

I wonder if our newest member of the Board of Adjustment realizes this? I wonder if he realizes he lives on a site where an old leather tanning company used to conduct business without restraint and probably no remediation when developed? Or is he just on the Board because his Mommy is Joan Voss's assistant? These people never stop. This member sat in my house for over an hour during the house and garden tour (which I found a little unusual, but maybe his new bosses sent him on the tour? After an hour you would think they would have mentioned their connection to the community instead of pretending to be brand new to Edgewater). He is the father of a young child, maybe when he realizes how toxic this town is he might think twice about granting variances without remediation, or depending on whether or not something was promised maybe not? Maybe the prominenceof sitting on the Board outweighs the health and safety of his own family and the families of Edgewater? I guess we will just have to wait and see what's important to him?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:45 AM

He is not the only member of the Board of Adjustment living at the old tannery site. Our Volunteer Fire Chief lives there too. Boy they both very close to the Octagon site.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:47 AM

Hey wait, I just realized a member of the Planning Board also lives at the old Tannery site, Emma Kelly.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:51 AM

I wonder why certain people would want to bury this message?
Old 01-08-2007, 11:44 AM
bossysooz

I'm the only one who has posted since your last couple of posts, and I certainly don't want this buried.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:28 PM

jim is on a distinguished road

Me either, dig it up!
Hey, maybe that smelly smell in NYC and parts of NJ is from Edgewater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossysooz View Post
I'm the only one who has posted since your last couple of posts, and I certainly don't want this buried.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:51 PM

My thoughts exactly!