07020 Forums  

Go Back   07020 Forums > Of Interest > Upcoming Events

Upcoming Events Non-members, please send event information to webmaster@07020.com

Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 AM

Mike is on a distinguished road
Feb 21 Veterans Field Meeting

Community Information Meeting - Veterans Field

A Community Information meeting regarding the remediation and rehabilitation of Veteran’s Field will be held on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7:00 p.m. at the Edgewater Community Center, 1167 River Road.

Representatives from the office of the Borough Engineer, Neglia Engineering Associates, along with Environmental Consultant, TERMS Environmental Services, will be in attendance to provide a presentation and answer any questions you may have.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VetFieldCommInfoMtg.pdf (38.7 KB, 200 views)
File Type: pdf VetFieldImp.pdf (169.3 KB, 208 views)
Office of the State Comptroller
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Att: Comptroller Tips
All communication will remain confidential!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 AM

MHogan201 is on a distinguished road
Re: Feb 21 Veterans Field Meeting

Mike,

Thanks so much for the information. If it were not for you we would never get any information.

So who got this letter? I have been at all the Mayor and Council meetings asking about Veteran's Field and NOTHING was ever said. (Check out the tapes) Is it just the "in-crowd" that got it? Certainly not the people who attended the Mayor and Council meeting expressing concerns.

Maybe it was to people within 200 feet of the field. Hopefully they notified the parents even though the school authorities said not to discuss it.

I have tried to sign up for the Borough's e-mail which I presume would have notified people about this, but have been told that it is "broken". Well, I guess for some people it is. Maybe the administration hoped that we would go to the council meeting at the other end of town on the 21st and miss this one. You guys are all a piece of work!

Thanks guys for keeping the concerned public in the loop! See you on the 21st with plenty of questions.

Mary Hogan
Old 02-16-2012, 11:50 AM

I only found out myself because someone mentioned it and I then did my occasional perusal of the borough web site. BTW, the Feb. 21 M&C meeting is cancelled; the 3/5 meeting will become a regular session.
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Old 02-16-2012, 12:08 PM

Local Mom is on a distinguished road

You can also find a link to the letter on EVG's homepage: http://www.edgewaterschools.org/cms/...esentation.pdf.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:01 PM

Local Mom,

Now that's interesting considering the teachers/staff were directed not to discuss the contamination.

Can we tell when it was posted on the EVG website?

Mary Hogan
Old 02-16-2012, 02:48 PM

kate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Mom View Post
You can also find a link to the letter on EVG's homepage: http://www.edgewaterschools.org/cms/...esentation.pdf.

Well hopefully the parents will come out and we'll get to interact in person with our neighbors. Which may dispel a lot of gossip, rumor and innuendo.

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"
Old 02-17-2012, 09:28 AM

Hi Mary,

I believe it was posted earlier this week. For those who receive texts and emails via the school's automated system, a message was sent out on 2/15 informing families that this updated information was available on the website. Hope that helps!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:29 AM

I wonder why the Borough thought it was a good idea to have this meeting during a week that the school has off and many parents have made plans or taken a vacation.

And is it just my computer, I can't seem to log onto the EVG website?

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"
Old 02-21-2012, 10:42 AM

Hi Kate,

It's www.edgewaterschools.org (a different address than in years past). It seems to be working fine on my end.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:18 PM

Thanks. I tried it at a different computer later and I connected with problem.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:18 PM

Dani-X is on a distinguished road

While I would have loved to attend this meeting, I just can't make it working full-time with two kids 2 and under. I'd be grateful if someone could post what happened. And I was really looking forward to enrolling my son in the weekend sports camp they've done in past years. What a shame for all of us.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 PM

Following are my notes. It's cumbersome taking them on a smartphone, so if I misreport or omit anything, hopefully someone will chime in.

Representatives from the town (mayor, council members, and administrator), engineer (Neglia), & environmental consultant (TERMS) were present to present information and answer questions. Neither the EPA, which has no jurisdiction, nor the DEP, which does, were either invited or sent a representative.

TERMS did initial sampling at the DEP's request in conjunction with the walkway and found PAH typical of historic fill. The DEP then asked for additional sampling. Test results revealed pervasive, low-level PAH contamination and some PCBs.

The PCBs will be removed through excavation. The PAH contamination is too expensive to remove and the DEP is ok with capping (fill, building). A cap needs to be 2 feet of soil or 1 foot of soil with a membrane to serve as both a barrier and a demarcation between the contaminated and clean soil. The cleanup will use some membrane. There will be no cleanup of groundwater, as the Hudson River flushes it. After cleanup, there will be a deed notice put on the property.

The cleanup contractor will monitor worker exposure & dust at perimeter. They will take measures to keep the dust down, probably by spraying it. Cleanup will begin in the spring and the project should be done by Spring 2013.

The little league field, tennis, and basketball court will be kept. The field will be elevated 4 to 6 feet above its present level and will have drainage, including a retention basin. There will be new parking spaces and the trees and memorials will be kept.

After the presentation, they took questions and comments.

A member of the public was unhappy the EPA was not present.

A few people asked what was found and who was responsible for bringing contamination in. Only 5 or 6 substances tested for are above NJ standards, and none at high levels. Some PAH compounds are carcinagens. They will stay in the ground permanently as they won't degrade. PCBs are more toxic than PAHs and will be removed. TERMS says it is not possible to tell where the contamination came from; a few residents disagreed and want the persons responsible pursued to offset the cost of the project.

A resident asked about trees. The will preserve trees along River Rd. Only three trees will be permanently removed. The memorial trees and pavers will be removed, stored, and reinstalled.

A resident says the dog run is in a bad place, next to 1111. Another resident says it should be at the town marina.

A resident asked about the sequence of events leading to discovery of the contamination. The original plans date to 2005 or so. The DEP mandated the walkway before anything was done. Contamination leads to doing everything (cleanup and improvements) at once.

A resident asked how the borough received a waterfront development permit if the DEP knew the property was contaminated? Neglia said there was no testing for the waterfront permit, and added the DEP required additional testing after the walkway samples taken.

A resident said the DEP should have been at the meeting. They said the contamination is airborne, no specifics on what was found were given at the meeting, and the TERMS expert isn't an environmental engineer.

A resident got letter from town about field. He said the town's answers to the DEP survey response is wrong (it incorrecty said the property is not encumbered by Green Acres). He said soil was removed from Shelter Bay in the mid 1980s and dumped in the ballfield, and he has hundreds of photos of the ensuing mishaps.

A resident complained the entire town should have been invited to the meeting instead of just residents within 200 feet. The borough administrator said it was publicized in the paper. [My comments: I own property at Edgehill, well within 200 feet, and got no notice. No owner I've spoken to either received notice or knew about the meeting. I'm trying to find out if it went to the management agent. The meeting was held in one of the rec center utility rooms, so the town must have known attendance would be relatively light given the population. Public meetings for the ferry and Superfund site were sometimes held in the gym to accommodate everyone.]

A resident asked about artificial turf. He complained the plan gets rid of lifetime sports activities in favor of a dog run.

A resident would like the park reopened now. The response is this is infeasible because work is starting shortly.

A resident asks if the geese are healthy. The response is they have not been tested.

A resident complained that nothing has changed since 2006 except the walkway, which he blamed for various ills. He said the town took Green Acres funding that mandated walkway, leading to the current situation.
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Old 02-26-2012, 03:19 PM

Edgewater Fire Official is on a distinguished road

The resident who has 100 photos of fill being removed from Shelter Bay in the 1980's might be on to something. If you remember, the developers of Shelter Bay were traced back to organized crime and the FBI arrested a few of them including the Mayor at the time.

They filled in illegally (like LeJardin?) and then had to remove some of the fill and POOF, alot of it was used to fill in the ballfield. Where did that fill come from and who approved it for the ballfield?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:56 AM

Sky Warrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewater Fire Official View Post
The resident who has 100 photos of fill being removed from Shelter Bay in the 1980's might be on to something. If you remember, the developers of Shelter Bay were traced back to organized crime and the FBI arrested a few of them including the Mayor at the time.

They filled in illegally (like LeJardin?) and then had to remove some of the fill and POOF, alot of it was used to fill in the ballfield. Where did that fill come from and who approved it for the ballfield?
At the time, with the FBI so involved, how was it possible to transfer the illegal fill from Shelter Bay to the ball field? If it was illegal to dump at Shelter Bay, was it legal to shift the fill to the ball field? If it was not, how did they get away with it, if the Shelter Bay Project was under investigation?

If in fact the supposed contamination comes from “HISTORIC FILL”, why was it not discovered long before this project? Over the years, there have numerous construction projects at Veterans field, yet no contamination found or at least reported, where were the NJDEP and or the EPA?

The inconsistencies at Veterans Field are “Glaring”, yet our elected “Hacks” just choose to ignore obvious and agree to spend another $10 million taxpayer dollars.

These clowns (our elected HACKS) don't even know what day of the week it is, so how do they know it is “HISTORIC FILL”? Why wasn’t contamination discovered previously, where is the accountability? Perhaps, if people begin to be held accountable for their incompetence, we – the taxpayers would not have to continually pay for these financial boondoggles.

It seems too me that in Edgewater the NJDEP and or the EPA are selective in their testing and their selectiveness appears to conveniently, coincide, quite frequently with various project needs. For example, the Superfund area at the southern end of town: How is it that the contamination under the Unilever building was so bad and not suitable for our Borough Hall, but now “PRESTO” the contamination is gone and the NJDEP allows a restaurant and other business to operate in that same building. Another example is 115 River Road, a few years ago the NJDEP was evacuating the Day Care Center from the building and pushing for 115 to be demolished, but “PRESTO” once again the contamination is gone or minimal. Presently, the Day Care Center is still operating in the building and now they are b a restaurant and condo’s have been approved at this very same site.

The NJDEP and or the EPA need to explain their selective flip-flopping, which by the way folks is costing us – the taxpayers millions!

Where is the Governor’s office and the Attorney General or for that matter, the Federal investigators?

Does anyone smell “RATS”?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:44 AM

With regard to the question as to who allowed the Shelter Bay dregging to be put on Veterans' Field, the answer is: the democratic Mayor and Council in power at the time. In reading the newspaper articles, it seems that Republican Councilman Douglas Dorito objected to the dumping since it was never approved at any public meeting. He was dismissed as just being "political" by then Mayor Bryan Christiansen. When he attempted to pass a resolution to stop the dumping, he never got a second from the dem powers at the time.

It seems to me that the old adage rings so true today: You reap what you sow.

I just wanted to say on behalf of myself and my children and all the children who played on the contaminated fields, ate at the contaminated picnic grove and drank from the water fountains on the contaminated land - Thanks, guys for your caring about the Edgewater residents more than your own pocketbooks.

I am sure there is a special place waiting for you in the afterlife.

Mary hogan