07020 Forums  

Go Back   07020 Forums > Of Interest > Environmental issues > Veterans Field

Veterans Field Veterans Field contamination and remediation; litigation; and, entities involved

Old 12-29-2011, 02:03 PM

Mike is on a distinguished road
Re: Veterans Field closed-what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaida D. View Post
"In 1922, landfill was dumped in the Hudson River from the contructiion site of Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, which gives Veteran's Field its current dimensions. As of September 16, 2011, Veterans Field was closed due to soil contamination in the fill brought to the site."
That doesn't explain where the PCBs came from. Have heard from longtimers about Sunday morning dumping they implied was mob-related, and which the borough knew about. I also understand that debris from the demolition of the Polo Grounds is under Hudson Harbor; if you go to the riverbank at the north end of the ballfield, you'll see concrete and rebar and whatnot. Not certain where that originated.

Quote:
"A cost estimate for the soil remediation was not available. However, the overall cost of cleanup, plus facility upgrades, is estimated at $8 million to $10 million, project team members said."

I'm no rocket scientist, but if the toal cost of cleanup plus facility upgrades is estimated at $8 million to $10 million, doesn't that mean they should know the cost estimate of the soil remediation alone? Why does it seem like there is always one piece of the puzzle missing?
In Edgewater, ignorance is bliss. One way to achieve a blissful state is to bury costs within a larger project or entity, so that they never see the light of day. For instance, you'll never learn how much the town loses on the ferry, because they don't break out the substantial cost of running the jitney. I suspect you'll never get an accurate answer, because they'll combine the remediation (the "cap") with the improvements; i.e., put in astroturf.

Quote:
There are five hot spots at Veterans Field that need to be excavated. Four are 2.5 feet below the surface and one is 7 feet below the surface. It seems that this work could be completed in less than a week.
They'll have to have the DEP sign off on a workplan, follow it, and get a No Further Action letter. This will take much longer than a week.
Office of the State Comptroller
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Att: Comptroller Tips
All communication will remain confidential!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:28 PM

Valory Bardinas is on a distinguished road

EDGEWATER The most cost-effective way to protect the public from contaminated soil at Veterans Field may be to cover it with clean fill, pave it or place buildings over the exposed areas, an environmental consultant told borough officials this week.

This seems to be the solution to everything in Edgewater. I guess that is what happens when developers control/own elected officials.

Around 2006/2007 the borough decided to apply for green acres grants to restore and redesign Veteran's Park. The borough hired Schoor DePalmer to essentially be the project manager. Their firm had landscape designers, and engineers that redesigned the park and playgrounds. In order to proceed Green Acres/DEP required that the park soil be tested.

That was only a few years ago and no contamination was disclosed. So either Schoor DePalma lied or someone used contaimated soil as fill.

We will seek the truth and demand answers. I am just shocked that none of the parents of the children who have played on those fields and might have been exposed to what is still contaminates of unknown origin are outraged. If it were my children who were on that field I would be breaking down the doors to borough hall demanding answers and accountability!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:01 PM

Zaida D. is on a distinguished road

Edgewater currently has $1,721,240.62 comprised of NJ Green Acres and Bergen County Open Space funds which were awared to the borough. The residents should have the option of knowing if the contaminated soil can be removed, the field capped and new sod installed to make the field safe, usable and fully paid for using those funds, before they agree to adding another $8 million dollars for the new renovations.

There needs to be a discussion of a long range plan for a town which has been neglected by the county and state for too long. The EPA recently decided to cap the superfund site on River Road. Instead of spending $300 million to correct the problem, they are spending $72 Million to do it the cost effective way. Since they are saving $228 Million, wouldn't it be only fair that they take half the savings, or $114 Million and put it in a trust fund for Edgewater. That money could be used to remediate the entire waterfront, complete the walkway, build new parks and Marinas and eliminate all contamination on existing parkland.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
The EPA recently decided to cap the superfund site on River Road. Instead of spending $300 million to correct the problem, they are spending $72 Million to do it the cost effective way. Since they are saving $228 Million, wouldn't it be only fair that they take half the savings, or $114 Million and put it in a trust fund for Edgewater.
The EPA isn't paying anything; Honeywell, the responsible party, is. Superfund law is here. Richard Ho, the Quanta project manager, drops by every so often and can likely elaborate if you need.
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Old 12-31-2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks Mike. I googled "Honeywell contamination" and at first was upset, and then became angry. They have $300 and $400 million contamination settlements like I drink coffee.

I would appeal to Mr. Richard Ho that Honeywell be required to place the entire $300 Million in trust. In addition the EPA or a Judge should impose a 10% penalty ($30 Million) paid directly to the Borough of Edgewater immediately, for the anguish and uncertainty caused to the residents of Edgewater. It' time to set an example. Don't Dump On Edgewater (DDOE).
Old 12-31-2011, 01:01 PM

I think Mike's bliss comment may have hit a nerve.

Article of December 21, 2011:

"A cost estimate for the soil remediation was not available. However, the overall cost of cleanup, plus facility upgrades, is estimated at $8 million to $10 million, project team members said."

Updated article of December 30, 2011"

"The capping and cleanup process, which will include excavation and filling, will cost approximately $8 to $10 million."

The "Bliss Machine" is at work right before your eyes. The reader now believes the cost of the cleanup is $10 million, any mention of facility upgrades is eliminated.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:41 PM

Valory,

I didn't realize Schoor Depalma was the engineering firm on the Field.

nj.com
2/9/09

"Schoor Depalma Co-founder is spared prison on conspiracy charge."

Schoor sobbed in court as he apologized.

"I take full responsibility for my criminal conduct. I was confronted with a choice. I could have said no. I didn't. I am very sorry," he said. "I tried to walk down the right path. I stepped off that path.... I want to fix what I broke and putting me in jail doesn't allow me to do that" he added.

Was this the same guy who did the testing on Veteran's Field in 2006?

I need to buy more blackberry brandy for my coffee.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
"Schoor Depalma Co-founder is spared prison on conspiracy charge."
http://www.07020.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Old 01-03-2012, 12:40 PM

Veterans Field has approximately 1,000 cubic yards of contaminated soil which needs to be removed, a relatively small amount for a remediation project. To remove the contaminated soil, backfill, cap and install sod should cost less than $1 Million. For those who want to spend an additional $2 Million for astroturf, there can be no carnivals, rides, lawn chairs on 4th of July etc., because the astroturf would be ruined. Is now the right time to spend an additional $8 Million on additional upgrades and higher taxes?

When FIFA World Cup comes to the U.S., all stadiums with astroturf must be converted to sod. There is a process to cover the entire stadium field with plywood, add 1 to 2 feet of soil and install sod. After the World Cup, the plywood, soil and sod are removed.

If FIFA prefers sod over astroturf, so should the Edgewater soccer field.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:43 PM

kate is on a distinguished road

Veteran's Park is in fact a park, not a sports complex. Hence the name Veteran's PARK. There are no teams playing there required to complete a hundred and sixty games a year to make playoffs.

The only reason anyone would push astroturf on that field after all the studies done and all the professional stadiums reverting to real grass is that someone needs a contract and someone gets a kick back.

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"
Old 01-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate View Post
The only reason anyone would push astroturf on that field after all the studies done and all the professional stadiums reverting to real grass is that someone needs a contract and someone gets a kick back.
Here's another reason sometimes proffered:

PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Old 01-04-2012, 12:30 PM

The site of the old Yankee Stadium in the Bronx was built on land which was historically lumberyards, coal yards and garbage dumps. The 10 acre site of the stadium was part of Cromwell's Creek (Bronx County Historical Society) which had been formed with historical fill. When the stadium was built in 1922 45,000 cubic yards of dirt had to be removed. Some portion of that fill made its way to Veteran's Field in Edgewater. The engineering company that oversaw the excavation and construction of Yankee Stadium in 1922 is still in business:

Osborn Engineering Company
1300 East North Street Suite 1500
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
P (216)861-2020
F (216)861-3329
www.osborn-eng.com

They recently demolished the old Yankee Stadium and parking garages and found similar contaminants in the soil. Perhaps the Edgewater Historical Society can find more details on the process that took place in 1922. You can always look to the past for answers to the future.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:39 PM

Lasher Lane is on a distinguished road

Besides Yankee Stadium soil, I remember hearing this was the cause of all the thyroid problems/cancer + the shad being contaminated. (2nd + 3rd paras):

http://www.epa.gov/hudson/

Also, just like in the IMAGES OF AMERICA series about the town, the last para. under "History" explains Alcoa's excessively high amounts of PCBs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgewater,_New_Jersey

The town was getting hit from all sides.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:09 PM

Schoor DePalma gave over $2 million in political contributions between 1999 and 2004. A former Edgewater official received a $1,000 political contribution in 2003. In 2006, the Schoor co-founder was indicted an pleaded guiltuy to paying a $15,000 kickback to 2 Ocean Township officials. Following the embarrassment, the firm changed its name to CMX Engineering.

After the Veterans Field project in 2006, Schoor DePalma later received $196,000 for work on the Edgewater Marina, while the marina site construction manager Malcalm Pirnie received $439,000, and the law firm DeCotiis FitzPatrick received $450,000. The RFP sealed bids for the estimated $2 million marina dredging were sent directly to Schoor DePalma.

A former employee of Schoor DePalma in Hopewell Township complained of environmental fraud when he allegedly was forced to cover up water pollution at a plant Schoor DePalma was contracted at. He later sued under the Whistleblower statute when he was retaliated against and terminated. (sound familiar?)

A Franklin Township community group sued Schoor DePalma for professional malpractice. Schoor DePalma hired a developer which it had a relationship, and failed to publicly disclose the relationship. The Township cancelled the agreement asserting environmental reasons.

Schoor DePalma/CMX of Manalapan closed its operations on May 11, 2010. Beatrice, Valory and the ICBE raised red flags about the firm in 2005. You can form your own opinion as to how Veterans Field was tested by Schoor DePalma in 2006, and there was no PCB contamination discovered.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:08 AM

Valory Bardinas is on a distinguished road

you are correct in your assessment of Schoor DePalma, they were deep in the pockets of the corrupt politicans. In fact when I was opposing some zoning issues in Shady Side, (anyone remember the floods fives years ago that destroyed some businesses) Larry Palmer came up to me during a recess of a council meeting and said;
" You keep this up and this is gonna come back and bite you in the ***."
I have been advised that our former mayor, bryan christensian, works for Malcom Pernie. I saw him at the recent reorg hounding Assemblyman Prieto (who was there to swear in our newly elected mayor and council) at the meeting. I guess he staged the whole event with Prieto so he could "drum up" ( I could think of a better word, but I leave it to your imagination)
some business for his employer. It was clear that bryan was still in control and calling the shots for Edgewater.

As for Veteran's Park, just watch the tapes of the Council meeting.

www.edgewaterunited.com