07020 Forums  

Go Back   07020 Forums > Of Interest > Soapbox

Soapbox Things you want to bring to everyone's attention. Please check if it belongs in a more specific area, though.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:07 PM

joeselena is on a distinguished road
Re: Lights out in 84 countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossysooz View Post
well, Jim and I were talking about devotion to recycling and saving energy.....

Hey, you know we are tireless "street shoppers". Always on the lookout, Selena has mostly furnished our own little apt. and those of several other people. Just last week rescured an animal carrying cage in good shape and took it to the pet store in the Trader Joe's shopping center. They were glad to have it.

We carry our own sleeping sacks with us, and normally sleep in those, including pillow covers, whether visiting friends, families, or third world countries. For the former, it's mostly so they don't need to wash sheets. In the latter, it is more for health.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:29 AM

jim is on a distinguished road

The wife in a CSI nut and they always show the light showing 'bodily fluids' all over the beds in hotels and motels, especially the bed spreads. We never go anywhere that isn't family without sheets, towels, pillows and blankets and a can of Lysol. A real pain since all that stuff takes up a lot of packing room. When we went to Mexico last time rather then bring it all, she had to buy new once we got there and then she just left it behind. At least it was cheap stuff.

I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns. You can keep the "change."

Go, Christie, go!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:42 PM
bossysooz

I'm looking more and more filthy and germy compared to the rest of you. Maybe it is good for my immune system.

The thing that really wigs me out are those cheap bedspreads in low end chain hotels that have no natural fabric and seem to be breeding grounds for cooties. I put them in the closet. However, the carpets aren't much better.

I can, however, use a public bathroom, including washing my hands, without laying a hand on anything. Now, my elbow sleeves are dirty, but I don't put my elbows near my mouth or eyes!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:13 AM

AdirondackChair is on a distinguished road

I miss the "street shopping" in NJ. Up here you have to pay for garbage/trash disposal and it's not cheap. No one leaves anything good by the roadside but there are garage sales all the time, even in the winter and during the week.
My ex worked for the banks in NJ cleaning out forclosed on houses. The banks wanted them empty so they could sell them. We got to keep what we wanted or had room for and the rest went into dumpsters. We even got a 1951 Packard once. Then we'd have a big garage sale. Susan, do you still have the Peacock Chairs? My apartment was so full of treasures that when I moved into a 3,500 sq. ft house I filled it up with no problem.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:58 AM
bossysooz

The Peacock chairs are the best! I found another one. It was black so I had to paint it to go with the others. If we ever move out of Edgewater, which I doubt, they are among the few pieces of furniture I would want to take.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:15 AM

kate is on a distinguished road

I have to agree, I'm always thrilled when I find a treasure on the street. AC, I remember those sales they were the best and so was stopping by Mrs. Latowsky's, which was always a regular routine for me on Saturdays, for a visit to the PPP shop. My mom bought two chairs from the old furniture repair shop on Rte. 5, where Pizza on the Edge is, for seventy-five bucks. They were appraised by Sotheby's a couple of years ago and they wound up being worth a whole lot more, kinda like Antiques Roadshow.

Another plus from shopping on the street, combined with hard wood floors and no carpeting, is that for years I just left the front and back doors wide open while my son and all his buddies from the neighborhood and parts unknown, just ran through the house, from the front to the backyard, where we dumped a pile of sand and built a treehouse and never worried about scratches or breaks. And guess what, when you don't worry, it never happens.

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"

Last edited by kate; 04-02-2009 at 09:34 AM..
Old 04-02-2009, 10:38 AM
bossysooz

Ahh. Mrs. Latowsky. I don't know what was more wonderful, buying her great stuff or talking to her. She and Ullrich were in love, and I still think we should have elected her "Authority In Charge of Everything." Even when I disagree with her, I'd be willing to bend to her will. You know her decisions would always be based on common sense and morality.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:33 AM

Mike is on a distinguished road

Earth Hour is 8:30 p.m. tonight. Turn your lights off for an hour. Hopefully, the town will follow suit this year.

http://www.earthhourus.org/
Office of the State Comptroller
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Att: Comptroller Tips
All communication will remain confidential!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:19 AM

Mike is on a distinguished road

GWB lights out? Check.
EW lights blazing? Check.
Council pseudoenvironmentalist MIA? Check.
Office of the State Comptroller
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Att: Comptroller Tips
All communication will remain confidential!
Old 03-28-2010, 03:30 PM

kate is on a distinguished road

She was busy recharging her Prius.

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"