07020 Forums  

Go Back   07020 Forums > Of Interest > Environmental issues > Quanta

Quanta Quanta superfund site discussion. http://quanta.07020.com

Old 02-13-2009, 09:53 AM

Mike is on a distinguished road
Honeywell February 11, 2009 status report

Please see the attached report. I was curious about "Installed 'Please Do Not Feed the Wildlife' placard signs on the fence of the Quanta property on January 26" and am awaiting an answer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Quanta status 2009-02-11.pdf (182.8 KB, 200 views)
Old 02-13-2009, 06:40 PM

Re: Honeywell February 11, 2009 status report

Deer entered the site and they want to discourage them from staying.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:04 PM

Gacala is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Honeywell February 11, 2009 status report

I'm only recently cognizant of this deer thing on the Superfund site, having noticed the family in there one day. That was late July 2010. Since then, I've been asking around. Absolutely everyone I've discussed it with who might know something (ie: local workers), says they were placed there on purpose to be observed. Why is this allowed? Isn't that technically animal abuse?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:24 PM

I'm sure Richard Ho will be by Monday morning to refute this.
Office of the State Comptroller
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Att: Comptroller Tips
All communication will remain confidential!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Unregistered

Angry Re: Honeywell February 11, 2009 status report

Refute what? The experiment accusation or animal abuse? Apparently lots of people who live in close proximity are aware of this. The area is completely fenced in—how else would they get in? Meanwhile—no dog or cat license, you get fined—yet deer can be just strewn around. Personally, I feel for the deer, but now, whoever is responsible may be throwing Lyme disease into an already toxic wasteland, adding to the problems of the local residents.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:26 AM

Richard Ho (US EPA) is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gacala View Post
I'm only recently cognizant of this deer thing on the Superfund site, having noticed the family in there one day. That was late July 2010. Since then, I've been asking around. Absolutely everyone I've discussed it with who might know something (ie: local workers), says they were placed there on purpose to be observed. Why is this allowed? Isn't that technically animal abuse?
What you have heard or been told is not true. The deer were discovered on the site two years ago. We do not know how they got onto the site, but the deer are not being harmed by the contaminants at the site and are not being kept against their will.

When EPA learned of the presence of the deer, we contacted US Fish and Wildlife Service and the NJDEP about deer removal. We learned that the deer are not trapped in the site by the fence as they can jump over 10 feet and they can also swim. They can leave the site at any time. Due to budget cuts, NJDEP no longer removes deer. We also learned that the process of removing the deer, by flushing them or shooting with a tranquilizer, might cause them more harm, and it would not prevent them from coming back. Therefore, we decided that the best course of action is to encourage the deer to leave on their own. As the food source (leaves and brush) becomes depleted they would go elsewhere in search of food. The signs were installed to discourage people from feeding the deer, which only encourages them to stay.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:46 PM

kate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
but the deer are not being harmed by the contaminants at the site
I considered that to be a reckless statement. You have absolutely no proof of that and yet you state is as fact. Track the deer and see what ailments develop in the next decade and may I suggest you start with diabetes that can be caused by arsenic toxicity.

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"
Old 09-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Unregistered

Angry Re: Honeywell February 11, 2009 status report

The different people I talked to all had the same story. They did not know each other to my knowledge, and my discussions were on separate occasions. One maintenance worker said he'd seen the truck come in to take the doe and the fawn away, leaving the buck. Another said one fawn died. So, it seems like a human hand has been involved in introducing the deer to the site. How else would they get there? I've seen deer at the Fort in Fort lee. Seems like an odd stroll from there.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:20 PM

kate is on a distinguished road

http://oaspub.epa.gov/enviro/fii_mas...base_type=TRIS

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"
Old 10-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Unregistered

Kate. The link is very technical and bureaucratic. What am I to take away from that and were you pointing me to FAESY & BESTHOFF INC? Can you be more specific at what I should view?