07020 Forums  

Go Back   07020 Forums > Of Interest > Parrots

Parrots Our green feathered friends. parrots.07020.com

Old 02-12-2010, 12:17 AM

BrooklynParrot is on a distinguished road
Disturbing News From Whitestone, Queens

Disturbing News From Whitestone, Queens

The neighborhood of Whitestone, Queens has for many years been the home of many wild Quaker parrots. In the past few days, I have received two disturbing reports from Whitestone residents reporting that all of the parrot nests were removed in the past week or so. In my view, doing a massive nest removal in the dead of winter isn't exactly a humane solution to whatever nuisance the parrots are causing. Best practices established by enlightened utility companies such as New Jersey's PSE&G call for removals to be done in late winter/early Spring, when the cold weather will not kill or cause unnecessary suffering to the wild parrots.

I am endeavoring to find out exactly what happened in Queens in the past few weeks. Apparently learning what happened from official channels has difficult. One of my sources offered the extremely disturbing report that he has "called Con Edison several times to ask who, what, where and why about the birds and their nests and they laugh at me and hang up every time."

Obviously, I hope that this account is not true or was exaggerated. What is clear is that it is vitally important to gather the facts before jumping to any conclusions or notifying the media. So if you have any information about what happened in Queens, who did the removals, and under what authorization these removals were done, please send me e-mail.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-15-2010 at 12:20 AM..