Well said, Kate. And 100% accurate!
Old 10-29-2009, 12:57 PM

kate is on a distinguished road
Re: New York Times covers Edgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgis View Post
Well said, Kate. And 100% accurate!
As was your post.

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"
Old 10-29-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KllrDave View Post
WOW. And you people wonder why the rest of us don't want to get more involved in the cesspool that is local Edgewater politics?

He||, after reading the childish back and forth in this thread once it was hijacked I don't even want to be on the same message board as you people.

Oh, BTW Dave, for those of us who retain what we read, your thread entitled

IH Halloween party...my neighbors SUCK!

How should we interpret that, I mean without the benefit of all the history and facts?

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"
Old 10-29-2009, 02:58 PM

KllrDave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate View Post
Oh, BTW Dave, for those of us who retain what we read, your thread entitled

IH Halloween party...my neighbors SUCK!

How should we interpret that, I mean without the benefit of all the history and facts?
So, you see no distinction between my what I wrote about anonymous people and the vicious personal attacks that we saw in this thread?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:06 PM
bossysooz

Hey, it was insinuated (closer to accused) that Jim and I get special tax breaks because we disagreed with people on this board about some pretty mundane stuff. That is hardly "letting off steam."

Inclusive, nice, welcoming, appreciating whatever amount of money or time or interest someone has, are attitudes that work and draw people in. If people don't feel welcome, they won't participate and nothing changes.

If one side always acts horrible at meetings, the other side should do the opposite. You can point out facts without irritating or insulting the public. Right now Edgewater votes Democrat. That won't always be the case, but the alternative has to be certain to be attractive. People are busy. If all we offer is more stress and nastiness, people won't look at the Republicans or Independents, but will drop out and pull the usual lever.

Obama won because people LIKED him. Hillary and McCain had much more background, but people just didn't LIKE them as much. Nice is attractive. Change demands nice.

This all started with a NICE article about Edgewater, and moved to an attack on Alison because of a past situation.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:26 PM

bburgis is on a distinguished road

Nice IS attractive. PHONY is ugly and old.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KllrDave View Post
So, you see no distinction between my what I wrote about anonymous people and the vicious personal attacks that we saw in this thread?
You'll have to be more specific. There are only several people posting using their real first and last names, so for all intents and purposes we are all anonymous to each other, or so I've been told.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:43 PM

mquizical is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgis View Post
Nice IS attractive. PHONY is ugly and old.
Old doesn't have to be either ugly or attractive. Sometimes it's just wisdom in action.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:46 PM

Okay everybody stop.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossysooz View Post
This all started with a NICE article about Edgewater, and moved to an attack on Alison because of a past situation.
That is the crux of the matter. The question remains "why did that happen"? You posted a nice article and pointed out a wonderful act of kindness by one of the people discussed in the article. It's too bad that just celebrating a nice article about Edgewater (for a change) wasn't enough for some people. You tried, though.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Okay everybody stop.
Stop what?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:26 PM
bossysooz

If being old is "phony" all of us who live a while are in trouble. Being ugly, like being dumb, is an accident of birth and should be treated with compassion.

Phoniness, which is really inauthenticity, like narcissism, is generally a result of someone who is so uncomfortable in his or her own skin that they change their behavior, beliefs, prejudices, political parties, names, religions, and even their underwear in a search for identity. Sad. Phonies deserve our pity, not scorn. Mental illness is frequently involved and is also deserving of understanding.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:29 PM

Old and nice works well, too.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:08 PM

KllrDave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You'll have to be more specific. There are only several people posting using their real first and last names, so for all intents and purposes we are all anonymous to each other, or so I've been told.
When I said "anonymous" I was referring to the fact that I have no idea who the people were that I was complaining about; I only knew of their actions.

Now, compare that with what has gone down in this thread; specific attacks/allegations on/against named people.

If someone can't see the difference between those two, then that's not a person that I need to waste my time talking to.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:23 PM
bossysooz

There is also an enormous difference between disagreeing with a person's action and demonizing that person. Every single person in the world has done things they wish they hadn't or that were wrong. To deny their goodness based on those things is deranged. When the bad is consistent and outweighs any good, that is different, but people on this board are very quick to condemn for little, or imagined, reason.

I know some of the people doing the attacking are wonderful and caring people, who work endlessly to contribute to the community and others are ill, but the effect of the hysterical attacks is counterproductive. For example, Selena has strong opinions, yet she is always nice and respectful of others, so people listen and think about what she says. We are back to the theme that nice works.