07020 Forums  

Go Back   07020 Forums > Politics > Local Politics > Letters to the editor, editorials, and commentary

Letters to the editor, editorials, and commentary Reprinted letters to the editor, and other commentary

Old 02-11-2012, 01:57 PM

Mike is on a distinguished road
Jordan 2/10/12 letter to EV re: Veterans Field

Council is hurting Veterans Field

TO THE EDITOR:

Even though two weeks before our recent Edgewater Borough work session, I was assured by members of the governing body that final decisions regarding the reconstruction of Veterans Field had not been made, the council sent the "Master Plan" on its way without any estimate of cost and with glaring errors. Oh, this was "approved" five years ago. Any updates?

The "errors" were as follows:

1. Replace the area for lifetime sports activities, the focus of health, recreational and fitness professionals for the last 40 years with a "dog run." Now one-wall paddleball and racquetball (these walls also serve as practice area for hitting tennis, kicking soccer and throwing baseballs and softballs), and the fastest growing sport — beach volleyball — all have professional events. Our folks certainly will not be competing.

Skinny dogs but fat and unskilled citizens.

2. Use natural grass instead of "artificial grass." Although artificial grass can be installed in three weeks while natural grass may take up to 18 months for initial use, can be used much more frequently (usability), sooner with inclement weather (playability), is repaired more quickly and cheaper ("repairability?"), has a total cost that is much cheaper, saves our precious water and is safe.

But your child will not be able to smell the natural grass (that is muddy and covered with goose droppings) and you will not be having a "picnic" on second base.

Fat geese and fatter citizens.

3. Remove trees .The beautiful and priceless old growth trees along River Road and the memorial trees planted with love and respect that provide shade and beauty especially with fall foliage, help control air pollutions and reduce use of air conditioners (outdoor activity is possible). That sends a clear message. Stay next to your air conditioners and keep your children playing computer games. Do not interact with your neighbors.

Again less physical activity and fatter citizenry.

4. Provide no river front activities. The most beautiful and historic riverfront park will only provide river viewing (What a view!) and not river activity.

Well governing body. This is your legacy. How is it shaping up?

David Jordan, Ph.D.
Edgewater

The writer is a borough councilman.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:11 PM

Mike is on a distinguished road
Re: Jordan 2/10/12 letter to EV re: Veterans Field

Good letter, Dave. How's that "'Boca Raton'-like waterfront" working out? Oh, and too bad about the bond rating you mentioned in your previous letter, especially since it will likely drop some more if you keep spending money like water on projects like the ballfield.

Finally, how does it feel to know that despite you being a council member, all decisions of any importance are made before the meeting, your only job is to keep your seat warm (you need not stay awake during meetings) and vote as you're told, and if you raise any objection you'll either be ignored or discarded like yesterday's newspaper?
Office of the State Comptroller
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Att: Comptroller Tips
All communication will remain confidential!
Old 02-11-2012, 03:41 PM

Sky Warrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Council is hurting Veterans Field

TO THE EDITOR:

Even though two weeks before our recent Edgewater Borough work session, I was assured by members of the governing body that final decisions regarding the reconstruction of Veterans Field had not been made, the council sent the "Master Plan" on its way without any estimate of cost and with glaring errors. Oh, this was "approved" five years ago. Any updates?

The "errors" were as follows:

1. Replace the area for lifetime sports activities, the focus of health, recreational and fitness professionals for the last 40 years with a "dog run." Now one-wall paddleball and racquetball (these walls also serve as practice area for hitting tennis, kicking soccer and throwing baseballs and softballs), and the fastest growing sport — beach volleyball — all have professional events. Our folks certainly will not be competing.

Skinny dogs but fat and unskilled citizens.

2. Use natural grass instead of "artificial grass." Although artificial grass can be installed in three weeks while natural grass may take up to 18 months for initial use, can be used much more frequently (usability), sooner with inclement weather (playability), is repaired more quickly and cheaper ("repairability?"), has a total cost that is much cheaper, saves our precious water and is safe.

But your child will not be able to smell the natural grass (that is muddy and covered with goose droppings) and you will not be having a "picnic" on second base.

Fat geese and fatter citizens.

3. Remove trees .The beautiful and priceless old growth trees along River Road and the memorial trees planted with love and respect that provide shade and beauty especially with fall foliage, help control air pollutions and reduce use of air conditioners (outdoor activity is possible). That sends a clear message. Stay next to your air conditioners and keep your children playing computer games. Do not interact with your neighbors.

Again less physical activity and fatter citizenry.

4. Provide no river front activities. The most beautiful and historic riverfront park will only provide river viewing (What a view!) and not river activity.

David Jordan, Ph.D.
Edgewater

The writer is a borough councilman.
UH-OH! Another mouse bolted from “PLANTATION” Edgewater!

So, that’s why the ”BIG RATS” were scurrying in-n-out of Rusty’s (a/k/a Plantation Central) yesterday. Hmm….I thought I heard the "RATS” yelling - “OH NO, the Kool Aid must be weakening, can’t have mice with brains and courage, hurry, double the dose!”

HEY, what is that I smell around town? Could the Plantation be burning and the “free” thinking Edgewater “River Mice” are rising up from the embers against the, "BIG FAT RIVER RATS” that sold them out”?

Stay tuned for the “River RAT” Perp Walk.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:45 PM

Valory Bardinas is on a distinguished road

can't wait to get this tape up. Funniest thing I have witnessed in a long time.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:56 PM

Sky Warrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valory Bardinas View Post
can't wait to get this tape up. Funniest thing I have witnessed in a long time.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 PM

kate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do not interact with your neighbors.
Well, well, well Dr. David Jordon (where exactly did you get that Ph.D.?), when was the last time you interacted with your neighbors. I venture to guess that more than eighty percent of the electorate doesn't have a clue who you are,with all your "coattail wins".

Gee, you know I've never seen you walking in my neighborhood "interacting" with your constituency, checking out how we're doing, and how you could help make our lives better. .

Quote:
Yo! "Smart Guy who listens"*, you're still part of this governing body, but you wouldn't know it if you looked at the attendance records of the Council Meetings. Maybe if you really gave a damn about the Veteran's Park (yes Dave, it is a park) you would have had the decency to fulfill your obligation of being elected to public service. Even during the last meeting, in one of your rare public appearances since not being chosen the heir apparent to the previous Mayor (as everyone will see on tape) you violated your own by-laws and when the meeting was opened up to the public you got up and left the room and lingered in the hallway for over twenty minutes before returning. That's your legacy.

I guess eventually you all find out that when you're no longer of any use to the real power structure (even though they lead you all on with the promise of being Mayor) you're dispensable. Then you all get angry and vindictive and lash out because you can't believe they were using you all along. And guess what they're not even giving you that handball court you wanted as a parting gift.

Well, at least you had the guts to write a letter to the editor and sign your real name. Although, IMHO if I were going to attach a Ph.D. to my name, like you do I think I would try to be a little more cohesive and check my grammar, you know out of respect for the title.

* (its on his business card)

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"

Last edited by kate; 02-12-2012 at 09:00 PM..