07020 Forums  

Go Back   07020 Forums > Of Interest > Environmental issues > Veterans Field

Veterans Field Veterans Field contamination and remediation; litigation; and, entities involved

Old 09-18-2011, 10:27 PM

tcm256 is on a distinguished road
Veterans Field closed-what's up?

I saw the message on the Borough's website, but does anybody know anything more about what exactly was found in the soil?

Here's the message from the Borough:

VETERAN’S FIELD CLOSED

UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE AS OF SEPTEMBER 16, 2011

As part of the Borough of Edgewater’s renovation and improvement project at Veterans Field, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, Green Acres Program required soil testing for the entire field prior to proceeding with the next phase of the improvements which included the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway. The environmental report prepared by TERMS Environmental Services revealed a minimal increase in acceptable levels of contaminants:

“several contaminants associated with historic fill in excess of NJDEP residential standard at several surface locations. These results indicate that historic fill utilized across the majority of the site…contains some of the typical contaminants associated with this type of material.”

As a precaution, the Borough has taken steps to ensure the health and safety of its residents and employees who utilize the facility. Until a remedial action plan has been developed, access to the entire facility has been restricted. We apologize for the inconvenience and we will keep you updated on the progress.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:19 AM

MHogan201 is on a distinguished road
Re: Veterans Field closed-what's up?

It is interesting that no one is stating exactly where the contamination is located and what it is.

It is also very telling that the signs at Veteran's Field say merely that the field is temorarily closed.

Guess we can't use that wonderful new exercise equipment. Did get in the Little League Series and the 911 dedication and we even got the ICBE meeting in before they closed the fields (perhaps they were hoping we might have our meeting outside on the fields )

So where is the contamination? What is it? What is the plan for clean-up and how much? Do we have anything in reserve to to pay for it or will we just bond - again! Maybe that's one reason we raised the bonding cap.

Did see someone jogging on the track behind the orange fencing. I am sure they just thought that the fencing was just for work that was going to be done on the fields since there is no warning on the signs on the fences. We could have sent out a phone message on it to the whole town . . . Nah. That would mean the public would actually be told something. What a crazy idea.

Mary Hogan
Old 09-19-2011, 09:21 AM

MHogan201 is on a distinguished road

P.S. Wasn't testing done when the Community Center was built? Was testing done when the tennis courts were moved? What do those reports say?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:34 AM

My concern is that it sounds like it's nothingnew that was found, based on this comment: contaminants associated with historic fill .
So I wonder how long whatever "it" is has been contaminating the park.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:51 AM

Mike is on a distinguished road

I have an OPRA in for the environmental report. Unfortunately, my guess is the "historic fill" is arsenic. Could also be coal tar compounds or asbestos.
Office of the State Comptroller
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Att: Comptroller Tips
All communication will remain confidential!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:47 PM

kate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
my guess is the "historic fill" is arsenic
You are probably right. I believe I have brought this problem to the attention of the Mayor and Council on more than one occasion. I informed them several times of the connection between arsenic and diabetes long before Dr. Oz was "discovered" by Oprah.

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"

Last edited by kate; 09-19-2011 at 03:52 PM..
Old 09-19-2011, 04:57 PM

Angry Re: Veterans Field closed-what's up?

And this is just okay and legal for no Edgewater officials to announce to the residents what is going on with our town?

Just a few nonspecific sentences on the website with--sorry for the inconvenience folks--and some scribbled signs "park is closed"--that's okay?!

Unbelievable!
Old 09-19-2011, 06:22 PM

Newsman is on a distinguished road

Katie, i'm sure you don't rember, but for some reason it always stuck in my head. When the kids were young 5 or 6, they were playing in the gray dirt behind the north diamond and you were pleading with them to stop and get out of "that toxic dirt". We kind of half laughed about it then.
Most of my childhood in Edgewater was spent at the ballfield playing football, baseball and anything else we could. It was our only refuge in town. It is so sad to see that orange tape around the whole park.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:14 PM

Record says it's a mix of PCBs and PAH (coal tar) and uncovered areas will be closed until it can be capped or removed.
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Old 09-19-2011, 09:40 PM

Valory Bardinas is on a distinguished road

How could it be contained in "historic fill." That field and the entire park recently (within a few years, has had improvements including/but not limited to installing field drainage, fill, and leveling. Could the products used have come from a contaminated source. And if so what could that source have been?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Katie, i'm sure you don't remember,
I remember. I can visualize it right now. I wish I knew exactly how toxic it turned out to be.

Quote:
And this is just okay and legal for no Edgewater officials to announce to the residents what is going on with our town?

Just a few nonspecific sentences on the website with--sorry for the inconvenience folks--and some scribbled signs "park is closed"--that's okay?!

Unbelievable!
Tomorrow a sign will be posted on the field.

I got a copy of the report regarding the toxins present in the field tonight at the Council Meeting. After reading it more thoroughly at home I realize that Edgewater is practicing disaster capitalism, first the powers that be screw up a situation and then they hand out jobs to their cronies to fix it, because in a disaster you have no other choice, the public will demand an immediate response. Its perfect.

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"
Old 09-20-2011, 07:49 AM

Sky Warrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate View Post
I remember. I can visualize it right now. I wish I knew exactly how toxic it turned out to be.

Tomorrow a sign will be posted on the field.

I got a copy of the report regarding the toxins present in the field tonight at the Council Meeting. After reading it more thoroughly at home I realize that Edgewater is practicing disaster capitalism, first the powers that be screw up a situation and then they hand out jobs to their cronies to fix it, because in a disaster you have no other choice, the public will demand an immediate response. Its perfect.
Nothing new, Edgewater has been an ATM machine for Bryan and his cronies for years. The Edgewater taxpayers have been being ripped off for decades and most know it, but they continue to allow it to go on, why?

Where is Governor Christie and the Attorney General?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:56 AM

Here's a "fact sheet" the town left on its web site.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 091911 FACT SHEET Veteran Field.pdf (59.2 KB, 206 views)
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Old 09-20-2011, 12:23 PM

I heard from one of my neighbors the ballfield will be closed for one (1) year.

Is this true?

Where are all the concerned parents and what will they do when their children will not be able to play sports or have activities on that field for an entire year.

Does this include the Little League Field and the basketball and tennis courts?

Will the new exercise equipment become obsolete in that year and will we be forced to purchase more equipment?

Will this now give the town the excuse to put AstroTurf down and ruin the park entirely or will it become a new Ferry stop and parking lot?

Old 09-20-2011, 03:01 PM

jime47 is on a distinguished road

Correct me if I am wrong,but isn't the fill under the running track/walkway from the deal made with Shelter Bay? Shelter Bay originally filled in the river illegaly and was caught. Edgewater then allowed them to give it to us.Saved the developer money,I guess its another "Edgewater-Win-Win"