07020 Forums  

Go Back   07020 Forums > Politics > Local Politics > Letters to the editor, editorials, and commentary

Letters to the editor, editorials, and commentary Reprinted letters to the editor, and other commentary

Old 07-14-2009, 01:21 PM

Mike is on a distinguished road
Hogan 7/10/09 letter to EV re: Holtje resolution

Resolution was out of order at meeting

TO THE EDITOR:
I would like to respond to your article dated June 26, 2009, "Resolution Angers 2 Residents."

First, the policy regarding agenda items that was set down by this Democratic administration in January, is that all matters to be discussed at the meeting must be submitted to the Borough Clerk before 1 p.m. on Thursdays so they can be copied and in the hands of the council members in their packets on Fridays. Unless something is an "emergency," it is just put on the next agenda.

This was not done. In fact, as Maureen Holtje was rushing to get this "Resolution" passed, even Mayor Merse had to say to her: “We have to read it first.”

Secondly, now having had some time to research the "Resolution," it turns out the two items it is based on, a letter of former Borough Attorney Robert Regan dated January 31, 2008, and a letter from the Bergen County Board of Elections denying an alternate polling location, are not located in Borough Hall according to the Borough Clerk under my OPRA requests. Therefore, the Mayor and council members actually did not have any of the documents that was the basis for this "Resolution" but voted on it anyway.

It is possible they may have seen them - but not in Borough Hall - perhaps at a political campaign gathering. And the public still does not have access to them.

So what is the purpose of this emergency "Resolution"? Well, I suppose that it was done so that the local Democratic council candidates, Neda Rose and Jim Delaney (who voted "yes") will use it in this year's election. They will have a piece of paper that they can wave and walk through Waterford Towers and say that Valory Bardinas and myself are against the residents. They know because they have an official town document that says so. And if you still have doubts that this "Resolution" isn't totally political, you only have to note that the candidates, Rose and Delaney, put in that Valory and I lost an election.

This has nothing to do with the Resolution but everything to do with a political piece of literature.

As a former Councilwoman and member of the I.C.B.E., I believe that Council meetings should be just that - a venue to discuss and decide the issues that affect all of Edgewater's residents. It should be used a place to do the public's business, not political grandstanding as this "Resolution" is blatantly doing.

As Valory and I continue to attend meetings and express our concerns about the increase in the Borough's taxes and fiscal irresponsibility, this Democratic administration continues to give raises, hire new people and bond. But Neda Rose and Jim Delaney certainly have more than enough time to approve political "Resolutions" that have no relevancy to our tough economic times.

Mary Hogan
Edgewater
The writer is a former councilwoman and a member of the Independent Coalition for a Better Edgewater
Old 07-14-2009, 01:32 PM

Valory Bardinas is on a distinguished road
Re: Hogan 7/10/09 letter to EV re: Holtje resolution

Great letter Mary
Old 08-04-2009, 05:56 PM

kate is on a distinguished road

Hey Jim, forget Hillary. What about these two women, you know the girls who go to bat for you locally, Valory and Mary. You and your tag team buddy, bossy have been conspicuously silent regarding this resolution and only a short while ago you guys went after the ICBE, for not being so nice to an anonymous drive-by provocateur poster. How come you guys didn't go after Holtje and the Council for the stunt they pulled here, how come no lessons on being polite for them? Umm, did somebody get a deal on their taxes?

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"
Old 08-04-2009, 11:41 PM

jim is on a distinguished road

There you go again, twisting things. I never 'went after' the ICBE. I have NEVER said or posted anything anti-ICBE. Nor did I go after Valory and Mary. All I did was point out IN HERE that there was some nastiness going on and I believe YOU were one of the perpetrators I was referring to, not Mary.
And, my Tag Team Buddy who has also been a firm supporter of the ICBE since the begining of time and who just happened to agree with me has been snubbed and degraded in here as well as in real life by YOUR Tag Team for speaking the truth.
Forgive me if I'm not politically correct here, but you all were very 'catty' about the whole thing. Refusing to take constructive criticism and getting nastier with each post turning your ire on Sooz and me instead of Paisan.
As for Holtje, everyone knows she's a creep and your assumption that I, or Sooz got some sort of tax deal from her is retarded and way out in left field crazy. Keep alienating your supporters. Yes, I'm still an ICBE supporter because your pettiness doesn't over ride the Dino's corruption.
PS - Now you've reopened this whole subject. Way to go.

I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns. You can keep the "change."

Go, Christie, go!
Old 08-05-2009, 04:54 AM
bossysooz

Jim, I don't know about you, but Katie's warmth and loving words have warmed my heart, so even though the Democrats completely eliminated my taxes for the last five years and, in fact, have been sending me Katie's share to spend on cosmetics and clothes, and even though I am legally a Pennsylvania resident and vote there, and even though neither of us ever slammed the icbe, and even though I have been treated like a traitor because I dared to point out that perhaps one collects more friends with pleasantness than with bile, I will do whatever Katie wants.

Maybe most people would respond negatively to being treated like crap, but it's motivation for me! What really turned me around is when she insinuated that you and I are hypocrytical hate mongers who have worked out a "deal" with the democrats. We should discuss this at our next bundt meeting in the railroad tunnel. Until then, peace, comrade.

Oh, and to Katie: I just got up and hadn't even read Mary's letter until now. Sorry, I am not on your schedule. I'll talk to my dear, dear friend, Sarkozy about getting France put on Edgewater time, so there is no delay in my reading your posts. Or perhaps I'll just go through Carla. Nico is always so busy with affairs of state. lol.

To Valory and Mary: You are both extremely intelligent hardworking people with the highest level of integrity. Be careful whom you let speak for you.

Last edited by bossysooz; 08-05-2009 at 05:08 AM..
Old 08-05-2009, 05:12 AM
bossysooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate View Post
Hey Jim, forget Hillary. What about these two women, you know the girls who go to bat for you locally, Valory and Mary. You and your tag team buddy, bossy have been conspicuously silent regarding this resolution and only a short while ago you guys went after the ICBE, for not being so nice to an anonymous drive-by provocateur poster. How come you guys didn't go after Holtje and the Council for the stunt they pulled here, how come no lessons on being polite for them? Umm, did somebody get a deal on their taxes?

Gee it doesn't seem like a short time ago. Jim and I have been waiting a long time for the "quotes" where we went after the icbe. We couldn't find them, even though we supposedly wrote them, and asked you to provide them since you are convinced they exist. Also, I believe Valory and Mary are most aptly described as "women" rather than "girls." Wouldn't want to be politically incorrect.

Last edited by bossysooz; 08-05-2009 at 05:27 AM..
Old 08-05-2009, 06:41 PM

The silence is deafening. I guess they want to stop the fodder for Neda and Holtje that Kate initiated.
Oh and you forgot to mention the Boro jobs Neda and Holtje got for all my kids and nieces and nephews. Great pay, low hours, benifits up the wazooo - almost like getting free money from the boro and all I had to do was NOT rag about that article. God Bless America.

Go, Christie, go!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:06 PM

bburgis is on a distinguished road

Silence? Were you waiting for a response? Was someone supposed to say something?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:20 PM

"I guess they want to stop the fodder for Neda and Holtje that Kate initiated"

Who is they Jim?

"And, my Tag Team Buddy who has also been a firm supporter of the ICBE since the begining of time and who just happened to agree with me has been snubbed and degraded in here as well as in real life by YOUR Tag Team for speaking the truth."

This is a very serious statement Jim, please give the facts to support it. I would like to know who snubbed and degraded Murphy. Did Murphy tell you this or did you witness this. Please elaborate on this statement with facts not emotion, or innuendo.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:22 PM

Resolution was out of order at meeting

TO THE EDITOR:
I would like to respond to your article dated June 26, 2009, "Resolution Angers 2 Residents."

First, the policy regarding agenda items that was set down by this Democratic administration in January, is that all matters to be discussed at the meeting must be submitted to the Borough Clerk before 1 p.m. on Thursdays so they can be copied and in the hands of the council members in their packets on Fridays. Unless something is an "emergency," it is just put on the next agenda.

This was not done. In fact, as Maureen Holtje was rushing to get this "Resolution" passed, even Mayor Merse had to say to her: “We have to read it first.”

Secondly, now having had some time to research the "Resolution," it turns out the two items it is based on, a letter of former Borough Attorney Robert Regan dated January 31, 2008, and a letter from the Bergen County Board of Elections denying an alternate polling location, are not located in Borough Hall according to the Borough Clerk under my OPRA requests. Therefore, the Mayor and council members actually did not have any of the documents that was the basis for this "Resolution" but voted on it anyway.

It is possible they may have seen them - but not in Borough Hall - perhaps at a political campaign gathering. And the public still does not have access to them.

So what is the purpose of this emergency "Resolution"? Well, I suppose that it was done so that the local Democratic council candidates, Neda Rose and Jim Delaney (who voted "yes") will use it in this year's election. They will have a piece of paper that they can wave and walk through Waterford Towers and say that Valory Bardinas and myself are against the residents. They know because they have an official town document that says so. And if you still have doubts that this "Resolution" isn't totally political, you only have to note that the candidates, Rose and Delaney, put in that Valory and I lost an election.

This has nothing to do with the Resolution but everything to do with a political piece of literature.

As a former Councilwoman and member of the I.C.B.E., I believe that Council meetings should be just that - a venue to discuss and decide the issues that affect all of Edgewater's residents. It should be used a place to do the public's business, not political grandstanding as this "Resolution" is blatantly doing.

As Valory and I continue to attend meetings and express our concerns about the increase in the Borough's taxes and fiscal irresponsibility, this Democratic administration continues to give raises, hire new people and bond. But Neda Rose and Jim Delaney certainly have more than enough time to approve political "Resolutions" that have no relevancy to our tough economic times.

Mary Hogan
Edgewater
The writer is a former councilwoman and a member of the Independent Coalition for a Better Edgewater
Old 08-06-2009, 11:22 AM

Great reply. Please don't kill me.

Go, Christie, go!