07020 Forums  

Go Back   07020 Forums > Politics > Local Politics > Letters to the editor, editorials, and commentary

Letters to the editor, editorials, and commentary Reprinted letters to the editor, and other commentary

Old 07-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Mike is on a distinguished road
Bardinas 7/10/09 letter to EV re: Holtje resolution

Article should have told both sides

TO THE EDITOR:
The Edgewater View article of June 26, 2009, "Resolution angers 2 residents," omitted some very important information. During my tenure as a councilwoman, I (along with other members of the council) were frequently reminded by the Borough Clerk that all items to be placed on the agenda must be in her possession by 1 p.m. on the Thursday preceding the council meeting. Additionally, Edgewater's bylaws state that any business discussed by the Mayor and council must be placed on the agenda. This gives the governing body and the public a chance to prepare for the items that will be discussed and voted on.

At the June 15th meeting of the Mayor and Council, Council-woman Maureen Holtje waited until five minutes before the close of the meeting to introduce a resolution that was not on the agenda and by all appearances had not been seen by the rest of the governing body. Without skipping a beat, Councilman David Jordan seconded Ms. Holtje's resolution, which was immediately approved by the majority Democrat council members. This was nothing more than political grandstanding.

Ms. Holtje's pretended surprise at the public's reaction to the personal attacks made by her and her fellow Democrat mayor and council is ludicrous. Councilwoman Holtje's talent for antagonism is extraordinary.

In fact, when I formally requested a copy of the documents referred to in her resolution, I was informed by the Borough Clerk that there were no records of the documents in Borough Hall.

Apparently, this council voted to approve a resolution based on documents they had never read or seen. Perhaps our elected officials should take a course on ethics in government, these council members should be reminded that they took an Oath of Office to uphold the laws governing our town and. they are expected to act in the best interest of the entire public, not just the people they believe voted for them.

Meanwhile, the original issue remains unresolved: A polling place has been created by the ruling Democrats that gives them privileged access. This is something our mayor and council will go to any lengths to avoid discussing.

Valory T. Bardinas
Edgewater
The writer is a former councilwoman and a member of the Independent Coalition for a Better Edgewater
Old 07-14-2009, 10:15 PM

Valory Bardinas is on a distinguished road
Re: Bardinas 7/10/09 letter to EV re: Holtje resolution

#
Old 07-14-2009, 11:02 PM

bburgis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
when I formally requested a copy of the documents referred to in her resolution, I was informed by the Borough Clerk that there were no records of the documents in Borough Hall.
Interesting. Did the Borough Clerk say that there were no records, or that no records could be found? Given recent events, that would be an important distinction to make.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:15 PM

kate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Article should have told both sides
Any reporter and/or any paper for that matter that can't seem to reach out and interview the two principal characters named in a resolution, considering that it was a sheer political move, is not worth their salt as a "ahem" journalist.

It has become increasingly obvious that most reporters put on the Edgewater beat are either transferred out when they become too involved with a story, or they seem to be bought and paid for, either way Edgewater loses because the fourth estate is essential to transparent and effective government in order to shine a light on any possible corruption or manipulation of the public trust.

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"
Old 07-15-2009, 09:51 PM

Valory Bardinas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburgis View Post
Interesting. Did the Borough Clerk say that there were no records, or that no records could be found? Given recent events, that would be an important distinction to make.
There were no records of the letters requested.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:03 AM

RiverRoadie is on a distinguished road

what amazes me is how does this town leadership get away with this?
are the residents active here or just commuters that don't really give a damn.

people are funny.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:56 PM

jim is on a distinguished road

Some are just passing through, some fight like heck against it and all the rest are involved in it somehow and reap the benefits.

I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns. You can keep the "change."

Go, Christie, go!
Old 07-16-2009, 06:49 PM

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRoadie View Post
what amazes me is how does this town leadership get away with this?
Ignorance, apathy, and patronage.
Office of the State Comptroller
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Att: Comptroller Tips
All communication will remain confidential!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:34 AM

joeselena is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Ignorance, apathy, and patronage.
From conversations we have had with various folks and from what we have witnessed at Mayor and Council meetings and Board of Adjustment meetings, we would add fear of the threats, abuse and punishment meted out to folks who call attention to questionable decisions and actions on the part of Borough officials.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:23 PM

jim is on a distinguished road

That too

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeselena View Post
From conversations we have had with various folks and from what we have witnessed at Mayor and Council meetings and Board of Adjustment meetings, we would add fear of the threats, abuse and punishment meted out to folks who call attention to questionable decisions and actions on the part of Borough officials.

I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns. You can keep the "change."

Go, Christie, go!