07020 Forums  

Go Back   07020 Forums > Of Interest > Environmental issues > Veterans Field

Veterans Field Veterans Field contamination and remediation; litigation; and, entities involved

Old 09-20-2011, 05:54 PM

Mike is on a distinguished road
Re: Veterans Field closed-what's up?

Attached are files the town sent me.

Kate, I don't know how anyone can tell you how long the park will be closed, particularly since "it is [sic] appears clear that the historic fill is impacted the surface soils" and the alternatives are removing it or capping it. Someone has to design the remedy, the state has to sign off on it, and then someone has to do the work.

Whatever the resolution, it's going to be expensive.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vets Field Test Results Summary.pdf (589.6 KB, 240 views)
File Type: pdf Vet Field Test Results Pt 1.pdf (2.30 MB, 734 views)
File Type: pdf Vets Field Test Results Pt 2.pdf (3.57 MB, 167 views)
Office of the State Comptroller
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Att: Comptroller Tips
All communication will remain confidential!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:19 PM

tcm256 is on a distinguished road

The article in the Record states this, that's not so encouraging:

It will likely be months before the park is reopened. A borough-run youth soccer program has already relocated games to a field belonging to the public school district. Springtime baseball and softball programs also will likely need to make arrangements to play elsewhere.
The contaminants are associated with historic fill, which was used decades ago before the advent of environmental regulation, to raise land near rivers, the fact sheet stated.

Paved surfaces at the park, such as footpaths and basketball and tennis courts, are considered safe, Franz said. But the borough does not want to open those portions of the park until officials can adequately restrict access to only the grassy areas, he said.

Full article: http://www.northjersey.com/news/Disc...Edgewater.html
Old 09-20-2011, 08:28 PM

tcm256 is on a distinguished road

Wondering how the contaminants affect the drinking water.

And property resale values next door to the park will no doubt drop.

This looks like it is a long, expensive nightmare that someone could have prevented a long time ago.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:36 AM

Valory Bardinas is on a distinguished road

How could this have been advoided! Edgewater's elected leadership has been in the pockets of developers for decades. The names have changed a little, but the voting majority have always had one thing in common:
"THEY HAVE ALL BEEN INFLUENCED BY THE DEEP POCKETS OF THEIR DEVELOPER FRIENDS AND PROFESSIONAL CRONIES."

One of the real problems Edgewater faces is the fact that our Mayor and Council do not do their due diligence, instead they rely on the advice of people (operating in the shadows), whose only interest is to increase the profits of a select few at the cost to the greater good.

I cannot think of a single project that this borough has undertaken that has been completed without enormous cost overruns and within a reasonable time frame. For example, the community center, 10 years, the Marina, 6 years, the new borough hall, 6 years, the list goes on and on.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:37 PM

kate is on a distinguished road

Yes let's follow the money on this bit of disaster capitalism. Let's see which engineering firm gets the job to remediate. And let's see who currently works for them and let's try and figure out what connection the testing company has to the engineering firm. Hmmm...

What project in Edgewater hasn't been built on tainted land, (especially all that fancy building that went on the east side of River Road) that's the real question.

As I said at the Council Meeting environmental pollutants do not discriminate everyone gets sick across the board. The contaminants really don't care how much you paid for your condo or townhouse. Good Luck and Wake up.

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"
Old 09-27-2011, 01:32 PM

MHogan201 is on a distinguished road

I posted this on another thread but it really should be here:

If you listened to Mr. Franz on Channel 1 News you would think that in order for you to become contaminated from the soil in Veterans Field you would have to eat the soil and breath in the air in more volume that it is possible for any human to do.

I didn't know we also had an environmental expert in Mr. Franz. Wonder what he gets paid to do that? He knows more than the DEP.

It seems, as is often the case, the Borough is talking out of both sides of its mouth:

On the one hand: Close Veteran's Field because it is contaminated; and,

On the other hand: Don't worry. Even if you went on the field it would all be fine.

So which is it?

The only thing we taxpayers can know for sure is that is going it cost us hundreds of thousands of dollars to find out and cure what Mr. Franz says is "No Problem".

GOTTA LOVE IT!
Old 09-27-2011, 02:09 PM

I trust Franz as far as I can throw him. His main job these days is damage control. He's just repeating what he's been told to say. Here's some info on Aroclor 1260, which they found at reportable levels. I assume it's not just in the soil, but also in the groundwater. Based on the reports the town gave me, it doesn't look like they tested the water.

I don't have time to look up all the SVOCs they found in the soil. Again, it doesn't look like they tested the groundwater.
Office of the State Comptroller
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Att: Comptroller Tips
All communication will remain confidential!

Last edited by Administrator; 09-27-2011 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: Added link to post with reports
Old 09-27-2011, 04:09 PM

Sky Warrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I trust Franz as far as I can throw him. His main job these days is damage control. He's just repeating what he's been told to say. Here's some info on Aroclor 1260, which they found at reportable levels. I assume it's not just in the soil, but also in the groundwater. Based on the reports the town gave me, it doesn't look like they tested the water.

I don't have time to look up all the SVOCs they found in the soil. Again, it doesn't look like they tested the groundwater.
As an Edgewater and New Jersey taxpayer, what I want to know is how is it possible such local corruption continues year after year, after year? If the local and county public officials and law enforcement agencies are corrupt, where are the state and federal officials and law enforcement departments? Correct me if I am wrong, but a large part of our tax dollars is allocated for law enforcement. If the state officials are corrupt, where are the FEDS, the FBI?

Over the past 20-years major work has been done at Veterans Field and no contamination was discovered and now suddenly - presto contamination appears? Where was the DEP and the EPA in the past? How far up the chain is the corruption in New Jersey?

Governor Christie supposedly is trying to cut New Jersey property taxes, so how is that going to be possible when this kind of local corruption going on; cutting property taxes in New Jersey is a fantacy.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:32 PM

Lasher Lane is on a distinguished road

I don't understand. Why the concern now? I lived in town from 1955-1996. Forty-one yrs. and I think I was about 10 yrs. old when I first heard about PCBs.
Hasn't the old Ford plant caused some of this along with their other illegal dumping all over NJ + NJ?
I'm sure when any of us took a drink from the water fountains in Holy Rosary or EVG in the past, it wasn't safe, as I'm sure is still the case today.
There was also a high incidence of thyroid cancer in town, too.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Governor Christie supposedly is trying to cut New Jersey property taxes, so how is that going to be possible when this kind of local corruption going on; cutting property taxes in New Jersey is a fantasy.
Well take heart Congress is locked in debate right now, your friends the Republicans have bill before them to; cut heating subsidies to the poor, block the health care bill, cut funding to NPR and cut PELL grants for education. None of the measures will create jobs (their promise of 2010), and more than likely the lower middle class will not see a penny in their pocket if anything the opposite will be true, but I know ideologically it makes you guys feel so much better, dare I say orgasmic.

BTW
Quote:
fantacy.
is with an "s" and
Quote:
disfunctional
would be with a "y", so you see cutting education is not a good idea.

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"
Old 12-27-2011, 01:25 PM

Edgewater advised to cap contaminated soil at public park
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
Last updated: Thursday December 22, 2011, 8:42 AM
BY LINH TAT
STAFF WRITER
The Record

EDGEWATER — The most cost-effective way to protect the public from contaminated soil at Veterans Field may be to cover it with clean fill, pave it or place buildings over the exposed areas, an environmental consultant told borough officials this week.

The strategy, known as "capping," not only is less expensive, but the state Department of Environmental Protection prefers it to removing all the contaminated soil, said Ronald Dooney Jr. of TERMS Environmental Services Inc., the borough’s consultant. "As long as there is no potential for contact, they’d rather not bring it from one site to another, because now you’ve got two sites with contamination," he said Tuesday.

Veterans Field was closed three months ago after higher-than-acceptable levels of contaminants were found in the ground where historic fill had been brought in years ago.

‘Above the standard’

The levels of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, or PAHs, were found in September to be two to seven times greater than government standards in most cases, and polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs, were slightly above acceptable levels.

Dooney said additional tests revealed that PAH compounds were found throughout the park — in some instances nearly 10 times above standard. The acceptable level is 0.2 parts per million. "As historic fill goes, this is pretty low, and less of a major concern, but it’s above the standard," he said.

In a report to the council the evening before, Dooney proposed cleaning five "hot spots." This would include excavating soil approximately 2.5 feet below the surface in four spots and digging 7 feet in another section to remove a "tar-like, petroleum-based" area that "could impact the groundwater in a negative way" if ignored.

A cost estimate for the soil remediation was not available. However, the overall cost of cleanup, plus facility upgrades, is estimated at $8 million to $10 million, project team members said.

Plans have been in the works to renovate the 27.6-acre park on River Road, regarded as Edgewater’s primary recreational facility. Plans call for new soccer, baseball and softball fields, tennis and basketball courts and open space.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:00 PM

Disaster Capitalism. Wake up Edgewater you're being shook from your ankles.

Is there anything a government will not steal from the public.

All of a sudden parks throughout NJ and the rest of the country are "contaminated". Here comes the privatization of public land. Every park will have a "Knight in Shining Armour".

Public pensions, public land, the public trust, natural resources the greedy can't get enough and when they're done gambling and speculating what they already have their hands on, they want you to cover their losses with your retirement savings.

I really don't get the apathy...Merry effing Christmas!

Last edited by kate; 12-27-2011 at 02:10 PM..
Old 12-27-2011, 06:30 PM

Zaida D. is on a distinguished road

Veteran's Field, Edgewater, N.J.-Wikipedia:

"In 1922, landfill was dumped in the Hudson River from the contructiion site of Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, which gives Veteran's Field its current dimensions. As of September 16, 2011, Veterans Field was closed due to soil contamination in the fill brought to the site."

I think all Edgewater baseball games should be played at Yankee stadium on days when the Yankees play away. This should continue until the Yankees clean up and build a new park at Veterans Field.

We would also need the ferry or shuttle buses to run from Edgewater to Yankee stadium for all the players, family, and fans.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:27 PM

Zaida D. is on a distinguished road

"A cost estimate for the soil remediation was not available. However, the overall cost of cleanup, plus facility upgrades, is estimated at $8 million to $10 million, project team members said."

I'm no rocket scientist, but if the toal cost of cleanup plus facility upgrades is estimated at $8 million to $10 million, doesn't that mean they should know the cost estimate of the soil remediation alone? Why does it seem like there is always one piece of the puzzle missing?

If you were getting an estimate to do this work in your backyard, wouldn't you want a cost broken out by cubic yard or ton as follows:

Excacation and loading
Transportation of contaminated soil
Disposal of contaminated soil
Backfill and compaction (purchase, transport, compact backfill material)

There are five hot spots at Veterans Field that need to be excavated. Four are 2.5 feet below the surface and one is 7 feet below the surface. It seems that this work could be completed in less than a week.

The following company recently completed a massive project at the Brooklyn Events Center. They removed 165,000 tons of contaminted soil at a project cost of $2,120,000. That amounts to $13 per ton. They have facilities in Jersey City and Kearny. They also handle Marina Dredge.

www.cleanearthinc.com

I think it's time to start adding blackberry brandy to my coffee.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:22 PM

Not if you're using the boro for your own private ATM and making sure the ex-mayor's cronies get the contract, because the people in this town are so apathetic all they are capable of doing is complaining on the street to their neighbors or anonymously posting on this board instead of showing up en masse and occupying the Council Chambers on Monday nights.