07020 Forums  

Go Back   07020 Forums > Of Interest > Environmental issues > Veterans Field

Veterans Field Veterans Field contamination and remediation; litigation; and, entities involved

Old 02-27-2012, 02:35 PM

AJSmith0880 is on a distinguished road
Re: Veterans Field closed-what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewater Fire Official View Post
The only above ground PCB-laden sludge storage tanks that were removed that I'm aware of was from the Quanta Superfund site. The Octagon site is a different story and has been discussed here before.

That site was part of Valvoline/Standard Oil during the 1800's and then by Archer Daniels (hence Archer Street) at the turn of the century. There's no one alive anymore to talk about the Valvoline time, but there might be some old timers in Edgewater who might remember Archer Daniels since I believe Octagon took over in the late 30's - early 40's. As told to me by Edgewater firefighters from that era, Archer Daniels brought in linseed by ships and rail to the plant and stored it in the 2 big silos that used to be there. They then processed the linseed oil for the production of varnishes, paints, linoleum, etc. Basically they processed and produced solvents.

Octagon was a pure chemical producing company that also had a research laboratory. They always had Government and Department of Defense contracts during their existence in Edgewater. During my first 8 years on the fire department 1974-82, the on duty platoon would do fire inspections throughout town. We were not allowed to enter certain sections and floors in Octagon because of the DOD. The 5 story building that was on Archer and the Oxyen Hill had a special fire extinguishing system on all 5 floors because the materials they were producing would react to water.

When I retired in 07 they were in the process of getting approvals for the building that's going on now. I only saw the basic site plan and proposals for what was to be built at that time. There was talk of building a park or parking lot over the DPW with some kind of visual filtering from the MUA. I do remember that the proposal at the time called for below grade undergound parking which I found real interesting. The Octagon building footprint had a below grade basement under the entire building with 2 access stairwells from the interior on opposite ends of the complex. The height of the basement was around 10' but it was like a dungeon with sporadic lighting. As explained to us by the plant manager this basement was originally designed to contain spills, as well as contaminents during the cleaning process. There were caves that went under the Oxyen Hill. The last time I was down there I was with Harvey Weber and we tried to see how far the caves went into the cliff. With all the water dripping down on us and the fear of rats and such (yeah we were 2 little wimps) we did not enter the caves. Also, the basement was prone to tidal flooding during storms and extreme high tides so you had to question underground parking.

As I drove past during demolition and now with the new construction, it seems that they never excavated the site and it starts at ground level. I don't go past there often so I could be wrong. I haven't heard anything about adding piles, but maybe that's the reason. As for the site itself, throughout the years Octagon was caught numerous times burying things underground, fined, and then having to remove it. The DEP or another state agency should have records of all Octagon's shenanigans throughout the years.
Following Sky Warrior's posting, did the NJDEP, EPA test this construction site? If they did and if what you say is true, how did it past their testing standards and the developer received approval to build? Contrastly to the Octagon site (a private developer's project), at your Borough's Veterans Field site, supposedly very low level contaminates are found in historic fill and it is going to cost Edgewater taxpayers $1 million dollars to clean up.

I agree with Sky Warrior, the NJDEP, EPA needs to explain themselves. Something seems very wrong in your town with the NJDEP, EPA selective testing methods.

Good luck.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 AM

MHogan201 is on a distinguished road

Dear AJ,

You have to understand that the DEP has long ago been compromised when it comes to Edgewater especially when regarding certain developers.

Example: The gentleman from the DEP who was overseeing the Octogon site for years and years and years and knew every contaminent, etc., was suddenly removed from oversite on the site when it was going to be developed. He advised me before he left that the influence in Edgewater went very high up in the State. I told him I knew that and he said: "No. I mean VERY high up." Guess he was right. I have seen copies of e-mails between the DEP and the construction code official discussing how their vacations were, etc., while discussing the "contamination" at the site. Very cozy.

We thought we had a chance on the superfund site (Quanta) but with the decision that was made to "in situ" the contamination rather than to remove it, I wonder now about the EPA also. For all his PR training, Mr. Prince does not impress me as actually knowing the site.

Mary Hogan
Old 02-28-2012, 12:32 PM

clearvista is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I agree with Sky Warrior, the NJDEP, EPA needs to explain themselves. Something seems very wrong in your town with the NJDEP, EPA selective testing methods.

Good luck.

Isn't it your town too. You list it as your location? You also make very inside baseball comments about stuff like you have the facts only someone very connected would know instead of what you said
Quote:
I am posting strictly as an outside observer of this message board. .
Its so hard keeping the color of everybody's hat straight.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHogan201 View Post
Dear AJ,

You have to understand that the DEP has long ago been compromised when it comes to Edgewater especially when regarding certain developers.

Example: The gentleman from the DEP who was overseeing the Octogon site for years and years and years and knew every contaminent, etc., was suddenly removed from oversite on the site when it was going to be developed. He advised me before he left that the influence in Edgewater went very high up in the State. I told him I knew that and he said: "No. I mean VERY high up." Guess he was right. I have seen copies of e-mails between the DEP and the construction code official discussing how their vacations were, etc., while discussing the "contamination" at the site. Very cozy.

We thought we had a chance on the superfund site (Quanta) but with the decision that was made to "in situ" the contamination rather than to remove it, I wonder now about the EPA also. For all his PR training, Mr. Prince does not impress me as actually knowing the site.

Mary Hogan
Thank you Mary.

Very interesting, so if I am following you, basically the NJDEP, EPA are in the pockets of your local politicians. I guess that explains your Veterans Field mess.

What I don't understand is the Governor, he is committed to cleaning up corruption in the state and so far he seems to be doing a good job, so how can this be going on within his own administration? He appointed people to the NJDEP, yet your Octagon project is being built on a toxic site and no body cares? Has anyone contacted the Governors office?

However, due to a former corrupt Mayor the taxpayers now are in the bag for $10 million dollars in clean up costs and possibly, numerous people including children have been exposed to toxic materials, due to a corrupt politician.

Someone in your town needs to contact the FEDS, immediately.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Someone in your town needs to contact the FEDS, immediately.
You are in our town, you should call.

Quote:
However, due to a former corrupt Mayor the taxpayers now are in the bag for $10 million dollars in clean up costs and possibly, numerous people including children have been exposed to toxic materials, due to a corrupt politician.
I think you know its more than just one politician. Its been going on for more than thirty years. Any Council members and employees that went along with the dumping are a part of it also.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearvista View Post

I think you know its more than just one politician. Its been going on for more than thirty years. Any Council members and employees that went along with the dumping are a part of it also.
No Clearvista, I do not live in your town. I was turned onto this site by a co-worker durning lunch a few months ago and I decided to join. My co-worker and I usually surf the web during lunch time and discuss various political topics.

My comments are strictly in response postings.

Good luck with the problems in your town. If the NJDEP, EPA are looking the otherway and allowing a building to be built on a toxic site that, is criminal. The issue should be addressed before innocent people move in and are exposed to the contamination.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearvista View Post

Clearvista,

I agree with you, any council members, employees or any others that went along with the toxic dumping are as guilty as your former Mayor and they too need to be held accountable for their criminal actions.

Over the years, unsuspecting parents allowed their kids to play at your park, unaware that they were exposured to harmful contaminants. Now these same parents have to live in fear for their children, wondering what long term health effects their children may suffer later in life.

The people responsible need to be charged and used as an example.

I read about your watchdog group, the ICBE watchdog group why haven't they contacted the FEDS? I would imagine they have a very strong voice and following in your community.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I read about your watchdog group, the ICBE
Not my watchdog group, but thanks for caring. Anyone who sees a crime can report it no matter where they live.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:26 PM

Sky Warrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dear AJ,

Mary Hogan
Mary,

From time-to-time, I see Richard Ho (EPA) lurking around this site, but I am curious why he does not respond to our Veterans Field contamination - illegal dumping issue and the Octagon toxic building site matter that, the "Edgewater Fire Official" posted.

I wonder, is Richard Ho (EPA) part of the coverup group? If he is an EPA employee, shouldn't he be addressing our concerns or at least pass them on to the Federal or State authorities?

Why does a Federal employee lurk and not address the problems? Interesting.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:41 PM

MHogan201 is on a distinguished road

Sky Warrior,

I have dealt for years with Richard Ho and, in my dealings with him, find him to an honest and upstanding person. But, unfortunately for Edgewater residents, he is not the one that makes the final decisions on the project. Richard has often responded to questions asked here about Quanta and since the water portion of that project has yet to be addressed, I presume that is why he is still around here.

I actually was surprised that he had not been transferred off the project because of his availability to the public.

As far as I know, he is only involved with regard to the Super Fund site (Quanta) and not Octogan which has DEP over-seeing the project. As for Veterans Field, I presume it is someone from Green Acres rather than the EPA. The two agencies do not usually cover the same projects. They each defer to the other.

Mary Hogan
Old 03-01-2012, 06:10 PM

Sky Warrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sky Warrior,

I have dealt for years with Richard Ho and, in my dealings with him, find him to an honest and upstanding person. But, unfortunately for Edgewater residents, he is not the one that makes the final decisions on the project. Richard has often responded to questions asked here about Quanta and since the water portion of that project has yet to be addressed, I presume that is why he is still around here.

I actually was surprised that he had not been transferred off the project because of his availability to the public.

As far as I know, he is only involved with regard to the Super Fund site (Quanta) and not Octogan which has DEP over-seeing the project. As for Veterans Field, I presume it is someone from Green Acres rather than the EPA. The two agencies do not usually cover the same projects. They each defer to the other.

Mary Hogan
Thanks Mary, I now understand Mr. Ho's position and why he cannot directly comment on other issues.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:32 PM

kate is on a distinguished road

Almost 10,000 hits on 4 separate posts regarding the contamination and boondoggle at Veteran's park (the ball field) and at the public meeting on the 21st there were only about 60 residents present counting the politicos there for damage control.

No cost analysis and wer'e about to spend $10 million that will undoubtedly balloon to $20mil before all is said and done and all Christiansen's cronies finally suck the blood dry from the supposed bottomless till in Edgewater.

Present Council members covering the behinds of past Council members who caused this problem.

How about going after the original developer that dumped this contamination? What about doing the right thing on behalf of the people for once.

Edgewater will not only lose money on this debacle so-called remediation, our reputation will be as a confirmed toxic dump and we will be open to future lawsuits from people who feel they have been made ill from exposure.

People complaining and questioning what is going on but afraid to say anything because either they have a town job or someone in their family does and the people in the gated communities, I just don't get it but they're all living on toxic waste dumps so what difference does it make to them.

Maybe some of those who lurk, post and read the posts here could try taking it to the next level and show up for the Council Meeting tomorrow night. We are being rushed into spending huge money because of their disaster capitalism schemes and all people can think to do is anonymously post their anger here.

Sorry folks its time to leave your homes and show up tomorrow night. Believe it or not this doesn't happen in other communities. But there's the magic word...community.

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"
Old 02-02-2015, 10:57 PM

Valory Bardinas is on a distinguished road

2015 and nothing has changed