07020 Forums  

Go Back   07020 Forums > Politics > Local Politics

Local Politics Keep it civil, please.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:14 PM

KAB is on a distinguished road
Energetic candidate!

I met Ms. Weiss recently. I am very impressed with her level of enthusiasum. Her energy, her expressed desire to serve her constituients and her business experience makes her a good choice in any election but what stands out is that she appears to be running her campaign herself and, if elected, shouldn't owe any favors. Now that's a new one for politics.

I wish her good luck.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:57 PM

lauran is on a distinguished road
Re: Energetic candidate!

Ah, someone else who feels Ms. Weiss is a real candidate! Welcome to the board!

Lauran...proud to be the daughter of Neda Rose
Old 10-22-2007, 06:53 AM

kate is on a distinguished road

You know how you can tell Ms. Weiss isn't a "real" candidate; the dems aren't attacking her vehemently.

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"
Old 10-22-2007, 08:14 AM

sloesser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAB View Post
I met Ms. Weiss recently. I am very impressed with her level of enthusiasum. Her energy, her expressed desire to serve her constituients and her business experience makes her a good choice in any election but what stands out is that she appears to be running her campaign herself and, if elected, shouldn't owe any favors. Now that's a new one for politics.

I wish her good luck.
The Independent candidates do not owe any favors. Independents do not take a dime from special interests.

Ms. Weiss's business experience is running an online matchmaking service. that experience should be a boon to local government.....
Old 10-22-2007, 09:00 AM

bburgis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I met Ms. Weiss recently. I am very impressed with her level of enthusiasum. Her energy, her expressed desire to serve her constituients and her business experience makes her a good choice
KAB, thank you for posting. Can you please elaborate any more as to her Edgewater experience? What is her governmental acumen? I have only seen her at one (half of a) council meeting, never at a planning board or zoning board meeting. To my knowledge she has never volunteered or been appointed to a committee or commission or board in our community. You mention her business experience; can you share with us what she told you that is and how it applies to our Borough? Lastly, has she agreed to debate?

Thank you.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:29 AM
bossysooz

I just got back to town last night. The picture of Ayelet on the posters looks like Beatrice. I had to do a triple take.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:43 AM

bburgis is on a distinguished road

I don't see it (other than that she is a long-haired brunette), but perhaps she did that on purpose to confuse people?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:56 AM

EdgeH20 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobbio View Post
I don't see it (other than that she is a long-haired brunette), but perhaps she did that on purpose to confuse people?
Who would try to look like you on purpose?!
Old 10-22-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Do you think maybe that is just a picture of her? Are there diabolical designs in everything?

Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM

jim is on a distinguished road

I just have ONE question... WHO is she, where'd she come from, how long has she been here, who might she be related to or friends with, what has she done thus far for Edgewater, what is she 'saying' she will do for us in the future, why is Daibes employees putting up her signs, what is this business experience you speak of, why are the Dems pushing her candidacy, exactly what is it that makes her a good choice in your eyes?

Her being energetic isn't any reason to vote for her if she hasn't used any of that energy to actually DO anything for this town. She does seem energetic about herself running for office though.

Quote:

I wish her good luck.

I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns. You can keep the "change."

Go, Christie, go!

Last edited by jim; 10-22-2007 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: pugha mahone
Old 10-22-2007, 12:59 PM

If the dems believe they are the best choice for Edgewater, why are they so supportive of her? Why are they so angry at the Independent opposition, yet giddy over a Republican candidate, that has no history of community service and actually worked for the Independent campaign last year?

Was she a plant by the dems all along? just a thought.

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"
Old 10-22-2007, 02:31 PM

northjersey is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone believe it is merely coincidental that Weiss and the Dems are ducking a debate?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate View Post

Was she a plant by the dems all along? just a thought.
Wow! Diabolical plots and devious conspiracies everywhere. Holy Batman!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauran View Post
Wow! Diabolical plots and devious conspiracies everywhere. Holy Batman!

Only the dems can accuse the Independents of diabolical plots, I just pondered a question.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:13 AM

KAB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
KAB, thank you for posting. Can you please elaborate any more as to her Edgewater experience? What is her governmental acumen? I have only seen her at one (half of a) council meeting, never at a planning board or zoning board meeting. To my knowledge she has never volunteered or been appointed to a committee or commission or board in our community. You mention her business experience; can you share with us what she told you that is and how it applies to our Borough? Lastly, has she agreed to debate?

Thank you.
Like any other new face on the political landscape, a lack of political experience is present. Of course, had she been appointed to any position of prominence, the critique would be that she is in the pocket or subject to the control of the existing administration. Not so for Ms. Weiss. That, in my book, is a big plus.

Running a town government is just like running a business. At least it should be. Town governments have employees, anticipated revenues, rising expenses and any static approach can only mean continued tax increases to support corresponding, accellorating expenses.

New people bring new perspectives and often new solutions. New perspective is what Edgewater and every town needs. "Business as usual" isn't going to cut it for much longer.

Representing a constituency as a member of the town council is something that is learned on the job. Successful government officials apply their skills in dealing with the business of running the town. Dynamic, progressive councils are comprised of people from diverse backgrounds. Ms. Weiss offers diversity. That is another big plus in my book.

As regards her business experience, Ms. Weiss recently explained how she immersed herself in a business that was evolving. 10 years ago such businesses moved at a snail's pace compared to the speed in which they move today. She learned the ropes and now runs her own business. That's moxie! (I hope I spelled that right!) That is another big plus.

Edgewater is evolving at record speed. 20 years ago, I barely knew where Edgewater was. 10 years ago I might have driven through it but I never bothered to stop. Now I know dozens of people who can't wait for their next opportunity to dine in Edgewater or to shop here.

The demographics of the people attracted to Edgewater enough to move to Edgewater over the past decade is markedly different from the demographics of the prior decade.

Like it or not, accept it or not, the reality is that the economic infusion in Edgewater is fueled by newbies. That is Edgewater's economic future.

Ms. Weiss has business skills that will adapt to that future. That impresses me. She grew up here. She is in touch with Edgewater's seniors and long-time residents. That gives her balance. That impresses me.

As to a debate, while I am not sympathetic to the incumbent administration, nor am I privy to the thoughts of those in the incumbent circle, as an observer, with at least some political experience, it is evident to me that the incumbents will never do anything that provides an opportunity for public comparison. I see nothing for the incumbents to gain and everything to loose by any such debate, display or comparison.

Edgewater can only benefit from Ms. Weiss and her energy. I hope to see it happen on November 6.