7:00 P.M.

1. ROLL CALL

2. OPEN PUBLIC MEETINGS ACT STATEMENT

3. MOMENT OF SILENCE

4. SALUTE TO FLAG

5. CONFERENCE:
    1. Presentations to Julia Schneider & Ahmad Hassan – Basketball Performance
    2. Presentations of the 200 Club Life Save Pins – Members of EVFAS & Police
    3. Mark Ruderman, Esq.– Labor Counsel for PBA Negotiations (Closed Session)
    4. BCUA/MUA Matters – W. Katchen, Atty. F. Borin:

Ordinances for Introduction

1367-2007 An Ord. of the Borough of Edgewater County of Berge, NJ Authorizing the Execution of a Service Agreement and a Supplemental Service Agreement Between the Borough of Edgewater and the Bergen County Utilities Authority

1368-2007 An Ord. of the Borough of Edgewater (“Edgewater”) In the County of Bergen, NJ Authorizing the Execution of a Purchase and Sale Agreement Among Edgewater, the Edgewater Municipal Utilities Authority (“EMUA”) and the Bergen County Utilities Authority (“BCUA”)

07-165 Resolution Authorizing the Execution of Any & All Agreements for Assignment and Assumption of Certain Loan Agreements with NJ and the NJ Environmental Infrastructure Trust from the EMUA to the Borough of Edgewater

6. OPEN MEETING TO PUBLIC

7. CLOSED SESSION ITEMS
    1. PBA Contract Negotiations – Labor Counsel Mark Ruderman

8. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
    1. April 16, 2007
    2. May 7, 2007

9. RECEIPT OF BIDS

10. ADOPTION/PUBLIC HEARING OF ORDINANCES
    1. An Ord. Amending Ord. 1362-2007 Entitled “ Fixing Salaries & Compensation of Certain Department Heads for the State Fiscal Years 2006, 2007 and 2008 of the Borough of Edgewater, County of Bergen, State of New Jersey

2. 1365-2007 An Ordinance of the Borough of Edgewater in County of Bergen, State of New Jersey, Providing for Various Capital Improvements for the Borough of Edgewater and Appropriating $155,000 Therefor, and Providing for the Issuance of $147,250 in General Improvement Bonds or Notes of the Borough of Edgewater to Finance the Same.

3. 1366-2007 An Ord. of the Borough of Edgewater, County of Bergen, New Jersey Providing for Separation of Combined Sewers and Appropriating $3,100,000 Therefor and Authorizing the Issuance of $3,100,000 Bonds or Notes of the Borough o f Edgewater to Finance the Cost Thereof

11. COMMUNICATIONS/PETITIONS

12. INTRODUCTION OF ORDINANCES

13. COMMITTEE REPORTS

14. RESOLUTIONS:
    1. 2007-2008 Liquor License Renewals
    2. 07-136 Zambelli Fireworks Internationale
    3. 07-137 Summer College Work Program
    4. 07-138 Veterans Field Request – Huang
    5. 07-139 Fireworks Events Coordinator – Carroll
    6. 07-140 Maintenance Contract for HVAC Units
    7. 07-141 Maintenance Contract for Fire Alarm Systems
    8. 07-142 Maintenance Contract for Emergency Generators
    9. 07-143 Certificate of Preliminary SFY Tax Levies for 2008
    10. 07-144 Cancellation of Property Tax Refunds Less Than $10.00
    11. 07-145 SFY Transfers 2007-2008
    12. 07-146 Police – 2nd Half Holiday Pay
    13. 07-147 Police – 1st Half Clothing Allowance
    14. 07-148 School Crossing Guards – 1st Half Clothing Allowance
    15. 07-149 DPW – 1st Half Clothing Allowance
    16. 07-150 MUA – 1st Half Clothing Allowance
    17. 07-151 FMBA – 2nd Half Holiday Pay
    18. 07-152 Fire Dept. – 1st Half Clothing Allowance
    19. 07-153 Payment of Bills – Bill List Provided Next Meeting
    20. 07-154 Cancellation of Outstanding Checks to Surplus
    21. 07-155 2007 – 2008 BC Snow Plow Agreement
    22. 07-156 Community Development Appointments
    23. 07-157 Senior Clerk - Hayes
    24. 07-158 Temporary Elevator Inspection Services
    25. 07-159 Lease of 2007 Dodge Durango 4 x 4
    26. 07-160 Lease of 2008 Ford F-250 4 x 4 w/plow
    27. 07-161 Salaries & Wages
    28. 07-162 Salaries & Wages
    29. 07-163 Services & Supplies
    30. 07-164 Marina Utility
    31. 07-166 Cancellation Current Account Budget Balances

15. OLD BUSINESS

16. NEW BUSINESS

17. ATTORNEY REPORTS:
    1. Letter from County Counsel – Conveyance of a Portion of Land
    2. Riparian Rights

18. ADMINISTRATOR REPORTS

19. MAYOR/COUNCIL REQUESTS

Mayor:

Councilwoman Holtje:
    1. River Road Sidewalks

Councilwoman Robbio:
    1. St. Moritz non-compliance with affordable housing
    2. Televised Council meetings
    3. iPark contamination remediation
    4. Pay to play
    5. Overdevelopment/Zoning ordinances
    6. Flooding

Councilwoman Rose:
    1. Graffiti
    2. Shadyside

20. ADJOURNMENT
Old 06-24-2007, 09:07 PM

Mike is on a distinguished road
Re: June 18 council meeting

The meeting began with awards to Julia Schneider and Ahmad Hassan for their performance playing basketball for Dwight-Englewood and Leonia High School, respectively.

The council approved several ordinances transferring its sewage treatment plant to Bergen County Utilities Authority. The head of Edgewater Municipal Utilities Authority claimed the saving to the borough would be $1 million per year based on debt service and economy of scale, while conceding the plant’s replacement value is $25 million.

Other ordinances of note were $147,250 in bonding to cover funding shortfalls for the Veterans Field tennis and basketball courts ($118,750) and Oakdene Terrace ($28,500); and, $3,100,000 to separate storm and sanitary sewers that are now combined.

Only resolution of note was for liquor license renewals. Barbara Rae reported the Binghampton’s suspension was lifted but conditions remain.

The town is paying $10,000 for the Independence Day fireworkds.

Under old business, Councilman Gallagher brought up graffiti, runoff from Fort Lee and Cliffside Park during heavy rain, and the non-functional fire exits at the St. Moritz (which have apparently since been remedied).

The council discussed the Octagon. Councilwoman Holtje said the DEP authorized dismantling the interior, providing it is properly disposed of, and that residents with safety concerns should have contacted the borough health department and OSHA.

Councilwoman Robbio brought up i.Park, the marina, and the mayor spending money without council authorization. i.Park’s affordable housing obligation is now 75 units, up from 60. It is not clear whether the DEP has approved their revised plan. Regarding the marina, dredging should begin by September. Finally, the borough attorney says the mayor can’t spend money without council authorization.

Under new business, Councilwoman Rose motioned to buy a used fireboat for $30K. No documentation was provided to the council, but it approved it 4-2, anyway.

In mayor and council requests, Councilwoman Holtje asked the town to look into sidewalks by the Binghampton.

Councilwoman Robbio asked about the St. Moritz’s non-compliance with affordable housing requirements. The administrator advised the council that the Bergen County Housing Authority is taking over responsibility for marketing the three on-site units. It is not clear what is happening with the other 20 affordable housing units required.

Her motion to introduce a pay-to-play ordinance failed 4-2.

Councilwoman Rose reported on efforts to control graffiti. It is possible the town may make property owners responsible for removing it.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:23 AM

lauran is on a distinguished road

Thanks Mike. That's what I wanted to know.

Lauran...proud to be the daughter of Neda Rose
Old 06-25-2007, 03:36 PM

Aranik is on a distinguished road

Thanks Mike.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:11 PM

Patea is an unknown quantity at this point

Also noted was the recognition given to the emergency services,personnel(EMT & Police)) who saved a 51 year old mans life. Good things do happen in Edgewater.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:17 PM

Excellent news, Patea. Courage and skill should always be applauded.

Charleston just lost nine firefighters in one of the deadliest fires in local history. What news reports call a warehouse was a retail store and storage area that was smaller than your average grocery store. But it proved to be a small but deadly space for our guys. Charleston was very touched by the outpouring that came from all over the country of firefighters coming to assist. On the day of the services for the fallen men, not one Charleston firefighter had to be on duty and all were free to attend. This was only possible by the generosity of firefighters who arrived from elsewhere and covered all shifts, all companies. Kudos to NYFD for helping us out!

Old 06-27-2007, 07:35 AM

markie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauran View Post
Thanks Mike. That's what I wanted to know.
No it wasn't. Get some guts.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:28 AM

Oh I have plenty of guts, Markie. I enjoy demonstrating it every now and then, too.
I am glad to hear the water utility ordinances have passed. It does mean that even in a place as "up against it" as Edgewater is, compromises and partnerships can be formed that can work for all concerned. Granted our situation is considerably more complicated with jurisidictional issues etc, but we will have to come up with some sort of like compromise...having a county responsible for a town's sewage system, etc.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:31 AM

Hey Mike, the issue of the fireboat? I remember there was conversation about buying a fireboat back when the marina was first being purchased. Is this the same one? Sounds like a great idea given the development on the waterfront and the obvious advantages of fighting fire with water. They are awesome to watch in action.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:46 AM

kate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hey Mike, the issue of the fireboat? I remember there was conversation about buying a fireboat back when the marina was first being purchased. Is this the same one? Sounds like a great idea given the development on the waterfront and the obvious advantages of fighting fire with water. They are awesome to watch in action.
Interesting choice of phrase in the wake of the deaths of nine firefighters in your sister state and one here in New York.

These guys put their lives on the line everytime they answer a call. I would think a more somber choice of words pertaining to their duties would be more appropriate.

As for the fire boat it was another hidden cost to the taxpayer, which we realized the minute they said we'd have a ferry. Of course it's absolutely necessary, but it wasn't up front. Also, having one do we have to answer calls in Manhattan when needed? if we do who bears that expense?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:02 PM

Kate, my dad (Harvey was my step dad) was a fireman. He put his life on the line everyday he was on duty and many times when he was not. He retired from the fire department, as did several uncles. We are a firefighting family actually. As for the expense of assisting in fighting a fire when/where needed...I know of no company who would even consider it. They just go.
I grew up in a city with three rivers and the fireboats are considerably safer to fight a fire from than the ground is. It is awesome to watch them, the men have quite a chore to control the hoses, etc. I am using the term awesome not as hyperbole but in the sense of "striking awe in the sight of observers". It takes one kind of courage to enter a building with a gun drawn and another kind of courage to enter a building armed with nothing but an ax or line. Many of my uncles were Law Enforcement officers as well, and there were some interesting dinner conversations when I was a kid about courage, bravery and the call to duty.
As for the expense of maintaining a fireboat, the firefighters' lives should trump any expense. You have a river with ample water, considerable waterfront development...I would be surprised to hear any firefighter would object to this addition to their arsenal. I can't imagine citizens would object to this extra protection either.

And where do you keep the fireboat? Why, in the marina, of course!

Last edited by lauran; 06-27-2007 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: additional comment
Old 06-27-2007, 12:24 PM

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hey Mike, the issue of the fireboat? I remember there was conversation about buying a fireboat back when the marina was first being purchased.
That's fine, Lauran. Maybe your mom, the Edgewater councilwoman, can come on here and elaborate. Just a few questions for her.
  1. What public discussion was there of the fire boat? Meeting dates would be helpful.
  2. Is there money in the capital budget for it?
  3. Assuming the fire department wants and needs a boat, for the reasons you've stated, is this the best one for the job? Who determined that? Might it be better to buy a new boat than a used one?
  4. As a councilwoman, does she think it's appropriate to buy a $30,000 asset with NO discussion and NO documentation?
If she wants to relay her responses through you, that's also fine, but it would be best if she responded herself.
Office of the State Comptroller
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Att: Comptroller Tips
All communication will remain confidential!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Charleston just lost nine firefighters in one of the deadliest fires in local history. What news reports call a warehouse was a retail store and storage area that was smaller than your average grocery store. But it proved to be a small but deadly space for our guys. Charleston was very touched by the outpouring that came from all over the country of firefighters coming to assist. On the day of the services for the fallen men, not one Charleston firefighter had to be on duty and all were free to attend. This was only possible by the generosity of firefighters who arrived from elsewhere and covered all shifts, all companies. Kudos to NYFD for helping us out!
I'm surprised you didn't mention the fact that your father and many members of your family were firefighters when you posted this. It's a stunning omission. As we are all touched by any loss in the community, we tend to feel it more when we are more directly connected to those who suffered the loss.

Of course any support monetary or otherwise given to firefighters certanly is of the utmost importance especially when saving lives is involved.

Let me repeat what I said earlier for those of you genetically inclined to twist other people's words "As for the fire boat it was another hidden cost to the taxpayer, which we realized the minute they said we'd have a ferry. Of course it's absolutely necessary, but it wasn't up front. Also, having one do we have to answer calls in Manhattan when needed? if we do who bears that expense?"

As for asking about responding to calls in Manhattan, its a question. I am not sure but I believe their are certain protocols in response and I was curious at to our relationship with Manhattan. I know Edgewater had plenty of volunteers responding on 9-11, but I don't know if there was a chain of command or the good people of Edgewater just jumped into action like they always do.

Now let's see if you or your mom can answer Mike's pertinent questions.

Let the insanity begin.

Last edited by kate; 06-27-2007 at 01:47 PM..
Old 06-27-2007, 03:22 PM

Really Kate? I was stunned that you thought there was something disrespectful when I said to see a fireboat in action was awesome. Talk about taking politically correct to ridiculous levels! Since when is calling someone/something awesome an insult?

As for Mike's questions, I guess you will have to ask someone better informed on the issue than I am for the answers. All I know is that I was STUNNED to learn (way back when the marina was being purchased...when I first heard discussion about buying the fireboat) that Edgewater did not already have a fireboat. It seems like something every river town with development on the waterfront should have. Especially a town that had factories on the waterfront...

By the way, hasn't the fire department been asking for a fireboat?

Last edited by lauran; 06-27-2007 at 03:32 PM..
Old 06-27-2007, 03:39 PM

More information about Neda that can't be "googled" anywhere: Before moving to Edgewater, 20 years ago, she conducted a news and information radio talk show in Pittsburgh and another in Miami, sponsored by the League of Women Voters. Before Harvey Rose retired, he and Neda owned and operated a business with three stores in Miami and 86 franchises across the country.

I had dinner with a family who has lived in and around Pittsburgh for the last six generations recently. Funny thing they've never heard of Neda. Someone please post proof of our Councilwoman's accomplishments. Afterall, she never tires of saying how she was responsible for the same re-birth in Pittsburgh, PA. How she took it from an industrial ghost town to their own version of the Gold Coast.

And you would think living there and with all that experience, that it took her over twenty-five years to come to the conclusion that we finally could use a fire boat.