07020 Forums  

Go Back   07020 Forums > Of Interest > Soapbox

Soapbox Things you want to bring to everyone's attention. Please check if it belongs in a more specific area, though.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:44 PM

kate is on a distinguished road
Exclamation So much for Michele's organic garden

Ever wonder why so many kids are allergic to peanut butter? Well maybe they're not really peanuts.

Tell President Obama to veto the Monsanto Protection Act!

We regret to inform you, but late last week Congress succeeded in passing Section 735, aka the Monsanto Protection Act, in the Continuing Resolution spending bill. We need you to contact President Obama before he signs it and HR 933 becomes law.

With the passage of the Monsanto Protection Act in Congress, biotech lobbyists are one step closer to making sure that their new GMO crops can evade any serious scientific or regulatory review.

This dangerous provision, the Monsanto Protection Act, strips judges of their constitutional mandate to protect consumer rights and the environment, while opening up the floodgates for the planting of new untested genetically engineered crops, endangering farmers, consumers and the environment.

We're asking that you call President Obama tell him to VETO HR 933. Join us in putting a stop to the Monsanto Protection Act!

Call President Barack Obama (202) 456-1111 or if that line is busy, please call (202) 456-1414 - then ask at least 5 of your friends to join you!

President Barack Obama
(202) 456-1111

"Hi, my name is _______ from _________ (city and/or state) I'm calling to ask President Obama to veto HR 933, the short term spending bill due to the inclusion of a dangerous rider by Congress, The Monsanto Protection Act,that is harmful to our environment, family farmers and citizens ."
The passage of Section 735 in Congress is an outrage against family farmers and our Constitution, undermining judicial review and our democratic rights in favor of corporate handouts.
As your constituent, I believe it's important that President Obama supports basic oversight of the agricultural biotech industry, not less. It's important to me and my family what we eat everyday, and biotech lobbyists shouldn't be allowed to corrupt the review process for new biotech crops.
Please remember to thank the staff person answering the phone and President Obama telling them that you support openness and transparency in food labeling and government.
Thank you.

Name
Email*
State

Postal Code
Country

Who did you call?

President Barack Obama: (202) 456-1111

Tell us how your call to the White House and Congress went.

Problems? Contact info@fooddemocracynow.org

Privacy Policy | Contact
(c) 2013 Food Democracy Now! All rights reserved

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"
Old 03-27-2013, 01:03 PM

rivergazer is on a distinguished road
Re: So much for Michele's organic garden

I made the call to the White House. Was kept waiting around 10 minutes, but persistence pays, and eventually a staff person answered. I insisted on reading the entire statement, as well as my own personal objections to the Monsanto rider, and demanded a Presidential veto.

I hope they are being inundated by objections to this and will take the proper action against it.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:07 PM

rivergazer is on a distinguished road

In case nobody noticed, The Monsanto Protection Act was signed by our President, much to my disgust. With his wife such a health nut, planting gardens and such, I wonder if she's using GMO seeds for her family??? I doubt it.

This is truly despicable.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 PM

kate is on a distinguished road

I'm guessing they don't eat foods that contain GMO's.

Whole Foods and Trader Joe's have promised not to sell genetically engineered fish.

Whole Foods will be labeling their food and TJ's tells me they do not sell products that contain GMO's.

Next time any of you stop buy and this sort of thing is important to you, why not say thank you to them so that they know that it's appreciated.

Really if your kid has multiple food allergies its time to acknowledge that they may be caused by foods that have been genetically manipulated and the human body rejects them because they do not recognize what it is as nutrition.

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"