07020 Forums  

Go Back   07020 Forums > Of Interest > Environmental issues

Environmental issues General environmental issues. Please post about Quanta and Veterans Field in their own forum.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 PM

Mike is on a distinguished road
Raising Veterans Field

When did remediation increase to $9.7M?

Edgewater considers grade raise at Veterans Field
Friday, March 22, 2013
BY SVETLANA SHKOLNIKOVA
STAFF WRITER
Edgewater View

EDGEWATER — The borough will consider a proposal in the coming weeks to raise the grade elevation of Veterans Field to new, federally suggested heights, a procedure experts say would buffer the park from major storms while adding $300,000 to $400,000 to the cost of remediating its contaminated soil.

Neglia Engineering, the firm responsible for the field's remediation plans and designs, based its recommendation on newly issued advisory base flood elevation maps from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which will replace pre-Hurricane Sandy mapping in one to two years.

The maps set new elevation standards for residents and businesses looking to build or rebuild in flood hazard areas, particularly those hit hard by the hurricane, but offer no specific requirements for an open parcel of land like Veterans Field.

David Juzmeski, a representative from Neglia, said applying the new standards to the park would guarantee protection in a "100-year-old" storm and prevent floodwaters from inundating the field in more common weather events as well.

FEMA estimates that future storms could bring waves a foot and a half to three feet high, according to Juzmeski, with over three feet in additional storm surge in certain parts of the field. Veterans Field saw a storm surge of more than 12 feet during Hurricane Sandy.

If the borough agrees to build the one- to two-foot cushion for the park, estimated to require 30,000 cubic yards of extra fill, it will need to increase the perimeter of the retaining walls and reset some completed drainage work as well, said Juzmeski.

The additional work would add up to $400,000 to the $9.7 million price tag of remediation and could delay a late fall opening until even later in the year.

The mayor and council said they would weigh the pros and cons before taking a definitive stance on the recommendation, but borough attorney Philip Boggia immediately expressed his support on March 18.

"It wouldn't make much sense for the borough to spend as much money as it's spending to improve the field without protecting itself against another storm," he said. "It seems like a prudent thing to do."

Email: shkolnikova@northjersey.com
Office of the State Comptroller
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Att: Comptroller Tips
All communication will remain confidential!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:33 PM

Zaida D. is on a distinguished road
Re: Raising Veterans Field

Comparison of 2 contaminted parks in bergen county being remediated. Votee Park in Teaneck and Veterans Field in Edgewater:

Votee Park............Veterans Field

40 Acres............................... 27 Acres
3 soccer fields .........................1 soccer field
5 baseball fields....................... 3 baseball fields
4 tennis courts.........................2 tennis courts
artificial turf ............................sod
field elevated...........................field elevated
pool...................................... no pool

remediaton $4.2M.................... remediation $7.2 million

In addition edgewater has spent $202,500 in hurricane cleanup which may or may not be reimbursed. Now they are considering an additional $134,000 in additional engineering and environmental fees. And an additional $400,000 to raise the field another foot.

No matter how high you make the field, in a severe storm the storm drains will back up and flood the field. Where do you expect the water to go. Although all the other town assets will be damaged, such as the community center, marina, borough hall, ambulance building, and dpw building, they hope to spend $500,000 to save the ball field?

One councilman stated "I'm kind of glad this happened, I'm happy we're raising the field another foot so now it will be even with the sidewalk, you can just step off the sidewalk on to the field."

If you don't beleive me, watch the video.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:31 AM

Valory Bardinas is on a distinguished road
Re: Raising Veterans Field

It really sucks to be a private ATM machine for this mayor and council. My property taxes have gone up almost $700.00 in the last six months. In fact, I have never received a property tax bill that didn't reflect a raise in the cost of my property taxes.
I understand there are certain costs that are necessary, however, I don't understand why I am forced to subsidize expenditures that have absolutely nothing to do with services necessary to the majority of Edgewater residents, such as the ferry bus that provides door to door service free to the riders. Or a tax credit of $20,000. for north end residents who want to put a carport on their property. Will residents who have already paid to improve their property be given a reimbursment for the money they spent to enhance their property?