07020 Forums  

Go Back   07020 Forums > Fort Lee > Fort Lee Discussion

Fort Lee Discussion Fort Lee, NJ forum. fortlee.07020.com

Old 04-01-2011, 06:30 AM

KllrDave is on a distinguished road
Beware FT Lee police crosswalk entrapment scam

Since someone asked...

The Ft Lee police have been running a crosswalk entrapment scam up by Hudson Terrace.

If you're driving north on River Rd, just before the intersection/red light where you can make a left to get to the GWB there is a crosswalk w a constant blinking yellow light. Ft Lee police have been running an entrapment scam there. Here's how it works...

At the last minute a plain clothes police officer posing as a pedestrian will step into the crosswalk. The driver must immediately yield and stop their vehicle (apparently with little regard to driver safety.) If the car does not stop, they will be pulled over and ticketed for failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk.

I know a few people who have been caught up in this scam.

One friend got a ticket for this and then at a later date almost fell victim to it again. However, since he knew the drill, he stopped short, held up traffic and waved the "pedestrian" through amid all of the cars behind him honking. The "pedestrian" tried to wave my friend through, but he was having none of it.

Good thing too because another friend faced a similar situation. We had told him about the scam, so he was alert for it and stopped when the "pedestrian" stepped into the crosswalk. However, when the "pedestrian" waved him through, he went. He then got pulled over and when he told the officer that he was waved through, the officer told him too bad...here's your ticket.

Best of all, the OT required for this is being paid for by a law enforcement grant from the Feds. Our tax dollars at work.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:47 PM

marianpb is on a distinguished road
Re: Beware FT Lee police crosswalk entrapment scam

I was just stopped today 10/06/2011 (1:50pm) together with 15 other cars.
No pedestrian was crossing, I thought traffic was being diverted when asked to go up the hill.If anyone was stopped today can you plese contact me to see what we can do together? I feel entrapped.
garfieldjennifer@yahoo.com
Thanks!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:03 PM

trekkie is on a distinguished road

Everybody has a phone camera these days. If this occurs, take a picture of the "pedestrian" and post it here. If it's a cop, we can look it up and fight the entrapment. Spread the word, we have to fight it.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:15 AM

TomD is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Beware FT Lee police crosswalk entrapment scam

Trekkie, nobody likes being entrapped. But exactly what is it that you think "we must fight?" You do know there is a law on the books that says a motorist must stop when approaching a pedestrian in a marked crosswalk. The Fort Lee Police are all too aware of an unacceptably high incidence of pedestrians being struck by vehicles with several fatalities in the past 2 years. So they are trying to enforce the law and make drivers aware that ignoring this law is going to get you a summons. If you don't think it's a good law, you should contact your representatives in Trenton who passed it. If you think the law is OK, but don't like the police using decoys to catch offenders, you might complain to the police chief or the mayor. The point the campaign is trying to make is simply drivers should obey this law which they are not in the habit of observing.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:24 AM

TomD, I have no problem with the law, I have a problem with entrapment. The cop jumps in front of you at the last second and then when you stop, he waves you to go. When you do go, another cop stops you and gives you a ticket. They are not trying to teach you to behave, they are trying to fill their quota on tickets.
To file a complaint you have to have proof, therefore taking a picture would be a good idea.
I am a stickler to the rules; I stop at the stop signs at 3 am in the middle of a desolate road in the desert, just because it is in the rules. Furthermore, I have no issue with cops doing their actual jobs - they have a dangerous profession and they have to deal with a lot of idiots, but .... abuse is abuse.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:48 AM

I would suggest that if they can catch over 50 people in this sting in an afternoon then the problem isn't driver behavior, but rather a poorly designed intersection.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:21 AM

Mike is on a distinguished road

Pedestrian incidents are a pervasive problem, though Fort Lee is particularly bad.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/1994..._be_fined.html

State crash data, including pedestrians, is here.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/accident/
Office of the State Comptroller
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Att: Comptroller Tips
All communication will remain confidential!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:39 PM

TomD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KllrDave View Post
I would suggest that if they can catch over 50 people in this sting in an afternoon then the problem isn't driver behavior, but rather a poorly designed intersection.
Trekkie and Kllrdave, Take a look at this video of the recent Hudson Terrace decoy operation.
http://newjersey.news12.com/news/for...tors-1.5017472
Granted, it's very brief and does not show all the stops police made, but it does clearly show many motorists with more than ample time to slow down and stop short of the crosswalk, who just drove right through as if the pedestrian was not there. No vehicle came that close to hitting him, but it's a dangerous situation. Now I agree if a pedestrian jumps out right in front of your vehicle, the pedestrian is wrong, but you still have to stop. If it's a cop and he motions you to proceed and then you get a ticket, that is unfair and illegal entrapment and should be tossed out by the judge. Since I did not witness any of these decoy operations, I can't say what actually happened, other than what is shown in the video.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD View Post
Trekkie and Kllrdave, Take a look at this video of the recent Hudson Terrace decoy operation.
Granted, it's very brief and does not show all the stops police made, but it does clearly show many motorists with more than ample time to slow down and stop short of the crosswalk, who just drove right through as if the pedestrian was not there. No vehicle came that close to hitting him, but it's a dangerous situation. Now I agree if a pedestrian jumps out right in front of your vehicle, the pedestrian is wrong, but you still have to stop. If it's a cop and he motions you to proceed and then you get a ticket, that is unfair and illegal entrapment and should be tossed out by the judge. Since I did not witness any of these decoy operations, I can't say what actually happened, other than what is shown in the video.
Sorry, but I'm going to maintain my position that this particular crosswalk in question is poorly designed and dangerous on its own.

The light at that crosswalk should turn red as part of the cycle the lights at the intersection directly north of it belong to. Since it never turns red, it's never really safe for a pedestrian. If Ft Lee were really concerned about pedestrian safety (and not lining their coffers), then they would make such changes to the light at that intersection.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD View Post
I walk a lot around here and I have not had that much trouble at the pedestrian crossings; people are reasonably aware that they have to let you go. Though, as a driver, I think it behooves pedestrians to be responsible too - make up your mind if you want to cross. Some people step on the pavement and just stand there, or wait indecisively on the sidewalk and then plunge onto the road. It goes both ways, drivers need to pay attention and pedestrians need to beware when crossing and maybe use the body language or hand gestures to signal their intentions. I lift my hand when I need to cross, and people obey every time. Everybody is a responsible adult....

From what I saw on that video, those tickets were well earned because the police officer was way in the middle of the road, obviously crossing, when people didn't yield to him.

I guess we agree on the "wave through and ticket" situation.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KllrDave View Post
Sorry, but I'm going to maintain my position that this particular crosswalk in question is poorly designed and dangerous on its own.

The light at that crosswalk should turn red as part of the cycle the lights at the intersection directly north of it belong to. Since it never turns red, it's never really safe for a pedestrian. If Ft Lee were really concerned about pedestrian safety (and not lining their coffers), then they would make such changes to the light at that intersection.
I agree. If the intersection is a "death trap" they should regulate it through technology rather than through trying to "dog train" some random motorists.... if the point is to save lives rather than give out as many tickets as possible or prove to the world that not everybody obeys the rules ... of course.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Pedestrian incidents are a pervasive problem, though Fort Lee is particularly bad.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/1994..._be_fined.html

State crash data, including pedestrians, is here.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/accident/
As per the first article, they want to educate drivers about the rules through decoy pedestrians? One person at a time? That is very inefficient. Distributing ice scrapers to drivers and flashing umbrellas to pedestrians is stupid and a waste of taxpayers' money - only a politician could come up with this idiocy. "Pedestrian safety outreach program"? They wasted a state grant money on lecturing the senior citizens and kids? Why are they educating pedestrians, when they need to reach the drivers? None of what they are doing will produce the real results. It is "feel good" and visible, though. Showcases the fact that they are doing something. Whether that "something" is producing results does not matter, as long as they are seen as "pro-active" to bring it up as an achievement in the next election cycle.

How about posting signs like they do about texting and seat belts? Make up a nice, memorable graphic and post those signs strategically near the pedestrian crossings. Throw in a ticket threat somewhere in there. That will get culprits' attention and eventually create "Pavlov reflex". Do they have anybody with marketing research degree in there?
Old 11-08-2014, 06:57 PM

Mike is on a distinguished road

OK, so now they have a cop dressed as Donald Duck.

http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2...port_says.html
Office of the State Comptroller
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Att: Comptroller Tips
All communication will remain confidential!