07020 Forums  

Go Back   07020 Forums > Of Interest > Recreation

Recreation Things to do instead of sitting in front of a computer

Old 11-20-2014, 12:31 PM

kate is on a distinguished road
Do you really want your kid playing on Astroturf?

I implore the parents who have petitioned Councilman Doran and the LL president to do a little homework about synthetic turf. In last week's council meeting the council in its uninformed wisdom decided to put astoturf on the Little League field.

Besides the fact the little league is where kids learn to play the game of baseball and the ball moves a lot faster on the field, and in the case of Edgewater LL eight year olds play with and against twelve year olds. which is a huge developmental difference when it comes to sports, and the ball moving faster becomes extremely dangerous, besides all that there is evidence of that the synthetic chemicals used in this turf are cancerous. I sent Councilman Doran several videos and reports in this regard and he seemed to have decided against astroturf but then changed his mind at last weeks meeting.

I coached T-ball and LL for a total of eight years and I sat on the Edgewater Recreational Advisory Council where I fought against astroturf on the field because Veteran's Park is a park NOT a sports complex where we are required to play a mandated 160 games per year. I fought against astroturf because I've done a lot of reading and research on it from minor injuries vs. major ones, to breathing problems and cancer.

I would like to know how many parents make up a consensus for the Council to make a decision using their wants as a reason to now put a toxic chemical in the form of astroturf on the Little League, where previously we were told that part of the field was not contaminated.

I hear that the kids will get to play more, well part of the game of baseball is strategy and sometimes rain outs allow you to use your pitching rotation to your advantage (it worked for Boston in '04, much to this Yankee fan's chagrin). You see not all the children will grow up to play any of these sports professionally but the lessons they learn such as teamwork and strategy they will use for the rest of their lives.

So, I don't know who's pushing the astro turf and if there's a kick back involved but in the end if you really gave a damn about the kids and not your pocketbooks you would consider the environmental impact of these unnecessary chemicals being introduced into your child's life. Children are the most vulnerable to toxins, they have to deal with pollution, GMO's, herbicides, pesticides in their food and a host of prescriptions none of us had to deal with growing up. We also didn't have astro turf but we managed to get plenty of playing time, which is what I heard the parents were concerned with, if that's the case limit the computer, the ipad, the smart phone and any other distraction and maybe we won't have to worry about rain outs and kids getting enough exercise.

In other countries they don't allow products for consumption until they are proven safe, in the US we let everyone use them until they are proven unsafe. Do you really want your kid used as a guinea pig?

http://truthstreammedia.com/are-arti...ked-to-cancer/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F3cOBZxml8

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investig...-plays-n220166

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F3cOBZxml8

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"

Last edited by kate; 11-20-2014 at 12:41 PM..
Old 11-20-2014, 02:33 PM

MHogan201 is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you really want your kid playing on Astroturf?

We don't have to worry. It was unanimous that they were all against Astroturf.

Oh wait - the election is over.

I LOVED their hurt reactions to (see the tape on edgewaterunited.com) how insulted they all were toward the public. (Pained looks) "They hadn't decided yet on grass or astroturf "(even though the Resolution indicated that they had decided on astroturf)

Go into closed session. Make sure the public disappears. Then come out and VOTE UNANIMOUSLY for Astroturf. Love that nothing at all has changed. Still arrogant. Still doing what the powers-that-be behind the scene is telling them what to do. Only heard the "PRO" side of the argument from the person selling the product (DUHHH). Never asked to hear the "CON" side from health experts. And when the public quoted articles, etc., well, we know their opinion of the public, they only speak "MUMBO JUMBO" according to Councilman Henwood.

And to add insult to pocketbook costs, they are going to remove the irrigation piping under the field so it "doesn't leak". I don't know about you, but when I drain my outdoor pipes in the winter, they certainly don't leak. Just means when they are told to change their minds in the future (and I predict they will), we now have the additional cost of installing an irrigation system.

Taxpayers money - the bottomless pit for paying back those who donated to their campaign.

Mary Hogan

P.S. I put in the stage directions because none of their "emotions" "feelings" "concerns" are real. They need to told how they should react. All acting - and not very good at it either.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:34 PM

Ok, I'm going to be blunt; these bastards squeaked out a victory by a mere 33 votes, mostly likely from Gerry-mandering and strong arming and importing votes. Tell me I'm wrong.

So it's business as usual and they are going ahead with astroturf. Since there is overwhelming evidence of the cancer causing agents found in the turf, either the council is incredibly stupid or on the take, so I ask once again, which is it?

Another study. A must read for parents, including those on the council:

http://today.uchc.edu/headlines/2007/nov07/toxins.html

Happy Thanksgiving!

"If you wait until you can do everything for everybody, instead of something for somebody, you end up doing nothing for nobody"
Old 11-29-2014, 05:40 PM

A Cocktail of Harmful Chemicals in Artificial Turf Infill

http://www.ceh.org/get-involved/take...l-turf-infill/

Artificial Turf: A Dangerous Chemical Stew

http://generationgreen.org/2012/10/a...chemical-stew/

Old 10-01-2015, 11:13 AM

Mike is on a distinguished road

Feds Won't Say If Artificial Turf on Your Kid's Soccer Field Is Safe

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/art...e-kids-n435731
Office of the State Comptroller
PO Box 024
Trenton, NJ 08625
Att: Comptroller Tips
All communication will remain confidential!
Old 10-01-2015, 11:40 AM

Veteran's Park is a park, not a sports complex, but apparently somebody has some astroturf to sell and there's probably some kickbacks and quid pro quo involved.

If the parents of those children who will be playing on these toxic waste dumps don't give a damn, why should anyone else.

But when the kids come down with an auto-immune disease, or skin disease, allergies or God forbid cancer, then maybe the light-bulb will go off, or maybe they'll still be scratching their heads because they just don't pay attention.

I'm into preventative medicine its saves us all a lot of money and most importantly, heart ache in the long run.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:11 PM

theparrots is on a distinguished road

its been so long that grass would have grown by now.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:24 PM

And now another major storm on the way. Let's see what happens and how they parlay the damage into another boondoggle at taxpayer expense.

How the old trees that lined River Road all fell during Hurricane Sandy is still a mystery, but this crew really knows how to make lemonade out of lemons for themselves and their cronies.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:47 PM

Dani-X is on a distinguished road

We had a similar debate up here in CT and they just selected the new turf for our football stadium... sand and acrylic.

Here's the article: http://www.greenwichtime.com/local/a...rf-7955456.php