PDA

View Full Version : Le Jardin - NJ DEP violations

Mike
02-03-2009, 09:28 AM
DEP very unhappy with what Daibes did behind Le Jardin. Looks like they're making him put it back the way it was. Unfortunately, while both Candelmo and the Mayor & Council were CCed in April 2008, nothing has been publicly disclosed until recently.

Attached please find a violation notice, and the first page of a 1/13/09 letter. I am trying to get the remainder.

sloesser
02-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Ah, poor Fred. Has to comply with the law? Shocking.

Paisan
02-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Tide was real low this past weekend and there was no water in that cove at all. When the wife and I took a walk past there.

-mike

bburgis
02-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Seems like there has been some news about this...

bossysooz
02-10-2009, 11:47 AM
What was the news? The people need to know.

Mike
02-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Check today's Record.

bburgis
02-10-2009, 12:13 PM
'We made the mistake'
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Last updated: Tuesday February 10, 2009, 11:16 AM
BY MERRY FIRSCHEIN
NorthJersey.com
STAFF WRITER

EDGEWATER — The state has ordered developer Fred Daibes to restore a portion of the Hudson River waterfront after determining that he illegally filled in 1.23 acres of riverbed during construction at Le Jardin restaurant on River Road.

Daibes apologized Monday for what he said was a construction "mistake" by his employees. He also said he has agreed to the state's terms and will remove the fill.

"We made the mistake," Daibes said Monday from San Diego. "My guys were going to build the [Hudson River] walkway. We had permission to do a 12-foot-wide walkway, and when my guys went on the job they made it 35 feet wide."

The state Department of Environmental Protection told Daibes in a sternly worded letter dated Jan. 13 that he had 30 days to submit a written plan describing how he will remove "all illegal fill from the site."

Daibes also must restore a steep, wooded riverbank, complete his portion of the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway, obtain a tidelands permit and either obtain a permit for or remove an addition to the restaurant, the letter stated.

His deadline to submit a plan is Friday, and a DEP spokeswoman said the agency was working with Daibes to resolve the issue.

"There are ongoing discussions and meetings with Mr. Daibes about coming into compliance, and he has expressed interest in coming into compliance," DEP spokeswoman Karen Hershey said.

Daibes said his engineers are meeting with DEP officials this week in advance of the deadline.

Daibes said he will remove the extra fill from the river when weather permits. In exchange, the DEP will acknowledge that what they termed an addition to the restaurant was just the addition of a plywood roof, Daibes said.

"As long as we cooperate on the walkway, they will not pursue that," Daibes said.

Daibes also will replant all of the trees removed when he regraded a steep slope, he said.

Removing the extra fill from the river will cost about $1 million, he said.

The DEP could issue an administrative order that could include financial penalties if a plan is not submitted, Hershey said.

The property is now the parking lot for Le Jardin. Photos from 2000 show the parcel to be heavily wooded with a steep embankment rising from the river.

But now, the property has been graded to create a paved parking lot large enough for 40 to 50 cars, and the embankment has been terraced.

Daibes did not receive permission to build the parking lot, which was done at the beginning of the decade. He settled with the DEP three years ago by agreeing to build a portion of the Hudson River walkway behind the restaurant.

The extra fill was dumped for the walkway, making it 35 feet wide, because his employees could not get heavy construction machinery to fit on a 12-foot-wide path, Daibes said.

"I don't deny we made a mistake," he said.

The parking lot was completed in 2001, and the grading was finished several years later. However, DEP started to make inquiries only in the past year or so.

DEP field inspector Randy Bearce wrote a notice of violation at the site in January 2008 that described illegal clearing, grading and filling at the formerly wooded site.

Daibes received a subsequent DEP notice of violation in April.

That four-page letter, signed by Peter Keledy, DEP's regional supervisor for the Bureau of Coastal and Land Use Compliance and Enforcement, details three regulations the agency says Daibes did not follow:

* Daibes received permission from the DEP for 1,300 square feet of fill, but instead was found to have dumped 53,625 square feet, or 1.23 acres, the DEP notice states. The illegal fill extends "approximately 75 feet outshore" for the property's entire shoreline, more than the 7 feet approved in the permit, the letter states.

"This filling was NOT depicted, nor authorized by the permit," the notice of violation states.

* Daibes did not receive permission from the Bureau of Tidelands for the 1.23 acres of landfill, the notice says.

* Daibes did not receive permission from the DEP to expand Le Jardin by enclosing the rear patio with glass walls and a roof, the notice says.

Borough Administrator Greg Franz said Edgewater officials are researching the issue to see whether they need to be involved.

"The DEP has jurisdiction on the matter," Franz said.

Borough Attorney Phil Boggia "will review the rules and regulations of the DEP to determine if any borough action has to be taken at this point," Franz said.

Council members received a copy of the Jan. 13 DEP letter in their packets before Monday night's meeting, "just for information purposes," he said.

Borough officials did not receive the April 2008 letter, and this was the first time council members had heard of the issue, Franz said.

E-mail: firschein@northjersey.com

Find this article at:
http://www.northjersey.com/bergen/We_made_the_mistake.html

bossysooz
02-10-2009, 03:28 PM
WOW! Thanks for posting. That is exactly what I was asking for: specific and documented, and easily accessed by all. Information is one of the most valuable things we can share.

jim
02-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Kind of feel for poor Fred, yet another mil bites the dust. Shouldn't any of this lack of permits been caught by Edgewater's inspectors?

Edgewater Fire Official
02-10-2009, 05:24 PM
We have to give former (hopefully future) councilman Denis Gallager and Donald K. alot of credit for standing their ground with the building department on this.

I remember Denis questioning Candelmo when the fill started back in 2001 or 2002. Both he an Donald were persistent trying to see the approval and permits for this and the construction that was going on. I find it funny that Denis complained at various meetings for many years and the town now acts surprised of the DEP's findings.

I would like to know how the new front room addition that faces the Hudson got a C.O. for occupancy from Candelmo without the required prior approval from the DEP. Can't be done.

Edgewater Fire Official
02-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Kind of feel for poor Fred, yet another mil bites the dust. Shouldn't any of this lack of permits been caught by Edgewater's inspectors?

Yes Jim, it was. And there's proof in the files.

jim
02-10-2009, 05:51 PM
So, Sooz was correct whenn she said the developers can't do anything the town doesn't allow them to, huh? Town officials that is. :banghead:

bossysooz
02-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Oh, boy, Jim, now you are really going to get in trouble.

jim
02-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Why? Because I put two n's in when?

Mike
02-10-2009, 06:01 PM
I would like to know how the new front room addition that faces the Hudson got a C.O. for occupancy from Candelmo without the required prior approval from the DEP. Can't be done.Denis gave me some documents that I have to post. Hopefully, he'll weigh in.

The short story is Candelmo issued a Certificate of Approval (not, CO) and claimed this is what they do when there is an existing operation.

Edgewater Fire Official
02-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Hmmmm, C.O., C.A., still needs prior approval before being issued.

Mike
02-12-2009, 09:12 AM
I just added correspondence that the DEP sent to the town. Thanks, Denis. 556

In other news, I've been told that the area was the site of Ron Ingold's shad fishing operation.

northjersey
02-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Mayor and Council (and Candelmo) were copied on April 16, 2008 violation notice. But apparently the Administrator, Borough Clerk and the Mayor withheld this correspondence from certain Councilmembers. They should be held accountable for such malfeasance.

bburgis
02-12-2009, 10:09 AM
They will be; I'm on it.

Mike
02-12-2009, 12:28 PM
But apparently the Administrator, Borough Clerk and the Mayor withheld this correspondence from certain Councilmembers.Nah, I heard that it just got mixed in with the Woodcliff Realty (http://www.07020.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5400) paperwork being processed at the same time. Perfectly understandable.

jim
02-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Understandable but not acceptable or excusable.

Mike
02-12-2009, 02:38 PM
I guess the sarcasm was too subtle. Woodcliff was another apparent cover-up that occurred simultaneously with the April DEP letter.

Edgewater Fire Official
02-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Some of the correspondence was hard to read and to understand, but I did see where they built an 1,800 sq.ft. addition to the restaurant without the proper DEP approval. How were local building permits issued and inspections conducted without the required DEP prior approvals? 1,800 sq.ft. is a pretty large addition.

The MailMan
02-13-2009, 07:48 AM
In other news, I've been told that the area was the site of Ron Ingold's shad fishing operation.

yeah teh old man and the river was set up nobody had nuttin better to do than to sort through his daily catch and find some wayward fishies then out of teh big deep blue sea a shark name jimmy says i will save you but you have to give me your land and soon your life

jim
02-13-2009, 08:26 AM
To set the record straight.....it wasn't ME.

sloesser
02-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Mailman! Welcome back. I missed you.

CW
02-13-2009, 09:14 AM
yeah teh old man and the river was set up nobody had nuttin better to do than to sort through his daily catch and find some wayward fishies then out of teh big deep blue sea a shark name jimmy says i will save you but you have to give me your land and soon your life

I forgot about that whole situation. Maybe Madoff was a little payback.

bossysooz
02-13-2009, 09:41 AM
The Ron Ingold story was one of the saddest in the history of Edgewater. I'm not even officially "old Edgewater" (only been here 26 years) but it touched my heart, and I think of him every spring.

Paisan
02-16-2009, 08:59 PM
The Ron Ingold story was one of the saddest in the history of Edgewater. I'm not even officially "old Edgewater" (only been here 26 years) but it touched my heart, and I think of him every spring.

Anyone have a link to this side story, sounds like an interesting read.

-mike

jim
02-17-2009, 12:48 PM
I believe he's mentioned in this book...

http://www.amazon.com/Heartbeats-Muck-John-Waldman/dp/1558217207/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234892776&sr=1-1

....but you'll probably get a better, more accurate story from an old time resident.

The MailMan
02-17-2009, 07:02 PM
youl never get teh truth adn if u do youl be surprised where it comes from

CW
02-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Was this discussed at the Feb 17th council meeting?

Mike
02-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Yes, it was. If I'm feeling ambitious, I'll write it up.

CW
02-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks.

bburgis
03-05-2010, 03:23 PM
'We made the mistake'
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Last updated: Tuesday February 10, 2009, 11:16 AM
BY MERRY FIRSCHEIN
NorthJersey.com
STAFF WRITER

EDGEWATER — The state has ordered developer Fred Daibes to restore a portion of the Hudson River waterfront after determining that he illegally filled in 1.23 acres of riverbed during construction at Le Jardin restaurant on River Road.

Daibes apologized Monday for what he said was a construction "mistake" by his employees. He also said he has agreed to the state's terms and will remove the fill.

"We made the mistake," Daibes said Monday from San Diego. "My guys were going to build the [Hudson River] walkway. We had permission to do a 12-foot-wide walkway, and when my guys went on the job they made it 35 feet wide."

The state Department of Environmental Protection told Daibes in a sternly worded letter dated Jan. 13 that he had 30 days to submit a written plan describing how he will remove "all illegal fill from the site."

Daibes also must restore a steep, wooded riverbank, complete his portion of the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway, obtain a tidelands permit and either obtain a permit for or remove an addition to the restaurant, the letter stated.

His deadline to submit a plan is Friday, and a DEP spokeswoman said the agency was working with Daibes to resolve the issue.

"There are ongoing discussions and meetings with Mr. Daibes about coming into compliance, and he has expressed interest in coming into compliance," DEP spokeswoman Karen Hershey said.

Daibes said his engineers are meeting with DEP officials this week in advance of the deadline.

Daibes said he will remove the extra fill from the river when weather permits. In exchange, the DEP will acknowledge that what they termed an addition to the restaurant was just the addition of a plywood roof, Daibes said.

"As long as we cooperate on the walkway, they will not pursue that," Daibes said.

Daibes also will replant all of the trees removed when he regraded a steep slope, he said.

Removing the extra fill from the river will cost about $1 million, he said.

The DEP could issue an administrative order that could include financial penalties if a plan is not submitted, Hershey said.

The property is now the parking lot for Le Jardin. Photos from 2000 show the parcel to be heavily wooded with a steep embankment rising from the river.

But now, the property has been graded to create a paved parking lot large enough for 40 to 50 cars, and the embankment has been terraced.

Daibes did not receive permission to build the parking lot, which was done at the beginning of the decade. He settled with the DEP three years ago by agreeing to build a portion of the Hudson River walkway behind the restaurant.

The extra fill was dumped for the walkway, making it 35 feet wide, because his employees could not get heavy construction machinery to fit on a 12-foot-wide path, Daibes said.

"I don't deny we made a mistake," he said.

The parking lot was completed in 2001, and the grading was finished several years later. However, DEP started to make inquiries only in the past year or so.

DEP field inspector Randy Bearce wrote a notice of violation at the site in January 2008 that described illegal clearing, grading and filling at the formerly wooded site.

Daibes received a subsequent DEP notice of violation in April.

That four-page letter, signed by Peter Keledy, DEP's regional supervisor for the Bureau of Coastal and Land Use Compliance and Enforcement, details three regulations the agency says Daibes did not follow:

* Daibes received permission from the DEP for 1,300 square feet of fill, but instead was found to have dumped 53,625 square feet, or 1.23 acres, the DEP notice states. The illegal fill extends "approximately 75 feet outshore" for the property's entire shoreline, more than the 7 feet approved in the permit, the letter states.

"This filling was NOT depicted, nor authorized by the permit," the notice of violation states.

* Daibes did not receive permission from the Bureau of Tidelands for the 1.23 acres of landfill, the notice says.

* Daibes did not receive permission from the DEP to expand Le Jardin by enclosing the rear patio with glass walls and a roof, the notice says.

Borough Administrator Greg Franz said Edgewater officials are researching the issue to see whether they need to be involved.

"The DEP has jurisdiction on the matter," Franz said.

Borough Attorney Phil Boggia "will review the rules and regulations of the DEP to determine if any borough action has to be taken at this point," Franz said.

Council members received a copy of the Jan. 13 DEP letter in their packets before Monday night's meeting, "just for information purposes," he said.

Borough officials did not receive the April 2008 letter, and this was the first time council members had heard of the issue, Franz said.

Find this article at:
http://www.northjersey.com/bergen/We_made_the_mistake.html

Let me see if I have this right... in the article above Mr. Daibes claims responsibility for his "mistake", and in the article below he is suing the DEP for making him fix HIS mistake?...

Developer’s lawsuit claims DEP fines are extortion
Thursday, March 4, 2010
BY MERRY FIRSCHEIN
The Record
STAFF WRITER

EDGEWATER — Developer Fred Daibes has filed a lawsuit against current and former officials at the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, alleging the agency has violated his constitutional rights by “misapplying” rules and regulations while he tried to grow his River Road restaurant, leading to nearly $1 million in fines.

Daibes claims the trouble started in 2001, when he paved the parking lot of Le Jardin, his River Road restaurant, without permission from the agency, though he had obtained a borough permit to perform the work.

The “[minor] violation has now blossomed into an eight-year-long battle,” the suit states. Daibes’ property “has now been rendered essentially useless,” and the fine is “an attempt to extort money” from Daibes, the suit asserts.

The agency cited him last year for illegally filling in 1.23 acres of the Hudson River shoreline behind the restaurant.

The suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Newark on Jan. 27, names former DEP Commissioner Mark Mauriello, acting Commissioner Bob Martin and field inspector Randy Bearce.

Though the suit has been filed in the court, it has not yet been served on the three men, said Andrew P. Napolitano, Daibes’ attorney and a former state Superior Court judge in Hackensack. There is a 120-day window in which the parties can try to “resolve it amicably,” Napolitano said.

“In fairness to the state, since we filed the suit, they have invited us to meet with them,” Napolitano said.

Lee Moore, a spokesman for the state Attorney General’s Office, said he could not comment.

The Attorney General’s Office ordered Daibes in November 2009 and in January 2010 to remove the excess fill, restore the slope behind the restaurant, get a permit for the roof built on his outdoor seating area and pay a penalty of $854,000, the suit states.

The state agency violated Daibes’ constitutional rights to equal protection, because it is asking him to make adjustments that “similarly situated” owners don’t make, the suit contends. The agency also violated Daibes’ right to due process by “misapplying

New Jersey’s statutes and regulations in an arbitrary and discriminatory manner,” making it difficult to run his business, the suit claims. The situation is “state government officials run amok,” the suit says.

Daibes agreed in 2001 to construct part of the Hudson River Walkway behind Le Jardin in exchange for the permit to repave his parking lot, the suit states. But the DEP has “repeatedly and without justification rejected every plan,” it says.

Daibes received approval in August 2003 from the DEP for his plan to construct the walkway and for replanting and stabilizing the embankment, the suit states. And though Daibes admits he deviated from the plan after problems were discovered, neither Bearce nor the DEP “took issue with the necessary deviations,” the suit states.

But in January 2008, Daibes was “shocked” to receive a notice of violation that described illegal clearing, grading and filling at the formerly wooded site, the suit states.

He received another notice of violation in April 2008, citing the illegal fill and construction of a roof over the outdoor seating area at Le Jardin, which was “ridiculous and little more than yet another indication of Bearce’s personal animosity towards Daibes,” the suit states. A permit expiration date was also misapplied, the suit says.

Bearce rejected revised walkway construction plans, which included apartment buildings, in November 2008 and January 2009 “without providing a valid reason,” according to the suit.

The following was in a separate box in the same article:

Fast facts
Fred Daibes, whose real estate firm Daibes Enterprises is based in Edgewater, has developed many residential and commercial properties in the borough and across Bergen County. His Edgewater projects include the St. Moritz apartment building, Waterford Towers, the Mariner’s Cove development, City Place, Avalon and Edgewater Commons.

•He has also developed Liberty Commons in East Rutherford, Towne Center in Lyndhurst, the Lincoln School Annex in Fairview and Daibes Park in Cresskill.

•He is a developer of a vacant, 2.4-acre parcel in the middle of Cliffside Park that is slated to become a mixed-use complex.

•He was before Edgewater’s Board of Adjustment, seeking approval to build a mixed-use complex on River Road that would include two hotels, retail, office and restaurant space, and a parking garage. That application has been withdrawn, it was announced Wednesday night.

•Daibes is the chairman of Mariner’s Bank, which has seven branches in Bergen County.

•Daibes lost more than $17 million of his personal fortune to Bernard Madoff’s investment.

Valory Bardinas
03-05-2010, 08:25 PM
"Extoration!" What a joke. The developer was appoved for a 15' walkway and "mistakenly" builds a 35' landfill instead.
Only in Edgewater would this happen. And why not, we have a land use official who in my opinion turns his head instad of enforcing the law. And shame on the democrat council members who continue to protect this official.
Shame on Jim Deleany, Maureen Holtje, Dave Jordan, and Neda Rose. They were elected to protect the residents of Edgewater, not the developers who fund their political campaigns. Yeah, that's right I said Jim Deleany, we have been letting him fly under the radar.
Fact is that he votes straight down the line with his fellow cohorts!:mad:

bburgis
03-06-2010, 10:44 AM
...we have a land use official who in my opinion turns his head instad of enforcing the law.

Out here in the "country" we hear that the land use official is about to get a disciplinary spanking. Is this true?

Mike
03-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Let me see if I have this right... in the article above Mr. Daibes claims responsibility for his "mistake", and in the article below he is suing the DEP for making him fix HIS mistake?...He probably figures it's cheaper to litigate his mistake than fix it.

Out here in the "country" we hear that the land use official is about to get a disciplinary spanking. Is this true?That's the scuttlebutt. You can give DCA Regulatory Affairs a call at 609-984-7672 if you're interested enough.

Valory Bardinas
03-06-2010, 10:05 PM
The Office of Regulatory Affairs, has confirmed that they are in the process of rendering a decision concerning their investigation into the allegations that Mr. Candelmo has not diligently enforced the zoning laws of the State of NJ and Edgewater. It is still not clear if they are considering suspension or revolting his license. At that point Mr. Candelmo will have the right to appeal. A decision will be made within three weeks. Ahh, it's like Boggia all over again. Next up, Holtje!:thumbsup:

Valory Bardinas
03-06-2010, 10:11 PM
I think the time has finally come for these guys to pay for all their misdeeds. I am so happy investigations are finally taking place. Maybe there will be justice for New Jersey taxpayers after all.:thumbsup:

Mike
03-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Next up, Holtje!:thumbsup:Would that be in conjunction with Oury?

bossysooz
03-08-2010, 02:11 PM
I think the time has finally come for these guys to pay for all their misdeeds. I am so happy investigations are finally taking place. Maybe there will be justice for New Jersey taxpayers after all.:thumbsup:

Valory, we know how busy you are at work and how much time you give to the community and your family, and are all appreciative of the many, many letters, calls and meetings you have made to bring light to the investigations.

It is also wonderful that as a true Independent you support Chris Christie loudly and openly because he is on the right track and you have gone beyond black and white/dem/republican thinking.

Go, girl!

Valory Bardinas
03-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Would that be in conjunction with Oury?

You betcha!::yep:

Mike
03-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Good. Long overdue.

ProgressiveAir
03-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Still not paid from job finished in August for these guys. They tried a bully lawsuit with me also. No luck. See you guys in court, and you will lose.

bburgis
03-17-2010, 02:43 PM
They tried a bully lawsuit with me also. No luck. See you guys in court, and you will lose.

DITTO.

Mike
07-09-2011, 09:59 PM
NJ DEP apparently fined Daibes $2M for these violations. More news to come, I'm guessing.

Mike
07-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Local developer incurs large fine from DEP
Friday, July 15, 2011
BY MAXIM ALMENAS
STAFF WRITER
Edgewater View

EDGEWATER — Edgewater-based developer Fred Daibes was hit with almost $1.9 million in fines for non-compliance by the state’s Department of Environmental Protection (DEP).

The fines stem from illegal construction work Daibes had performed in 2009 on the waterfront side of his famed Le Jardin French restaurant on River Road. At the time, Daibes had 1.23 acres of riverbed filled in without DEP permits.

Daibes later apologized to the DEP, agreed to its terms to restore the area, and promised to remove the fill. The DEP made arrangements with Daibes to undo the illegal work by a certain timeframe, including the restoration of a wooded riverbank, completion of the restaurant’s portion of the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway, proper tidelands permits and removing an addition to the restaurant.

A DEP document illustrates a long list of illegal actions taken at the property, including a roof added to the outdoor seating area, and provides the requirements for a restoration plan. Daibes did not keep up his end of the deal, it said.

"The DEP worked for a long time on trying to negotiate a resolution to this without having to file the administrative order," said DEP spokesperson Larry Hajna. "Unfortunately that did not work out."

Hajna said Daibes has requested a hearing, so the case will now go to the Office of Administrative Law.

Daibes has been down this road before. According to a February 2009 article (http://www.northjersey.com/bergen/We_made_the_mistake.html) in The Record, the developer built a parking lot on the riverside portion of the restaurant, which could accommodate up to 50 vehicles, without obtaining permits from the DEP. Parking is scarce in the area near the restaurant, which sits on a narrow and steep strip of River Road.

Daibes told The Record at the time, "I don't deny we made a mistake."

Although the parking lot was completed in 2001, the DEP did not begin inquiring until 2007. In January 2010, Daibes filed a suit with the U.S. District Court in Newark against DEP employees describing their actions as "an attempt to extort money."

Both parties met sometime after to resolve the issues amicably. Hajna has no knowledge of a lawsuit ever coming to fruition.

He said additional penalties are always a possibility if Daibes does not comply moving forward. He has 30 days to respond to the DEP. If there are any contaminants in the area Daibes will have to remove them according to DEP standards.

Daibes could not be reached for comment.

Email: almenasm@northjersey.com or call 201-894-6725

Mike
07-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Am told a member of the public (Mary?) asked the council about this Monday night and they pled ignorance.

MHogan201
07-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Actually I wasn't at Monday night's meeting but the question has been asked by Donald, Jack and Denis Gallagher many, many, MANY times - with no response except that it is not within their "purview".

And, although you don't want to hurt the restaurant who is not the owner of the property, it is ironic when the Borough or any of its officials, boards or associations closely related to the Borough, have any events there. There are plenty of other venues in town that have met all the criteria and requirements of the town, county, state and federal governments.

On a local issue, how did all this illegal building, fill, etc. go on when the town and county were watching over it since it is on a county road? Who was it that was actually watching over the hen house from the fox? HMMM. :confused:

Oh yeah! Just look around. They're still here. :banghead:

Edgewater Fire Official
07-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Mary, go back and read this thread from Mike's first post in 2009 until today. It's sickening!

trekkie
07-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Andrew Napolitano is tagged in this thread. He is the lawyer for Daibes on the Le Jardin issue. What is his role in all of this? He is the libertarian corruption fighter from FoxNews. Why is he involved with this? When he was the Supreme Court Judge in Hackensack, he was kicking Municipal butt for pushing people around. This doesn't make sense....

Mike
07-15-2011, 10:17 PM
He needs to pay the bills like the rest of us.

trekkie
07-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Judge Napolitano's bills are paid by a nice paycheck from Fox News for hosting "Freedom Watch" on Fox Business and serving as a legal issues commentator on other Fox's programs. For the lawyer of his stature, there are plenty of other paychecks out there; why the one from Daibes?

The reason I am surprised he got in bed with Daibes is that Napolitano is a strong libertarian, who calls himself Ayn Rand of Fox News. He advocates for small government and speaks for adherence to Constitution. He rants against government corruption and intrusion on every show. Daibes is an embodiment of government corruption and intrusion.... I am just trying to figure out "how does that add up?"

Here is a link to the latest segment on Napolitano's show - citizens on a small town in Arizona trying to clean up corruption in their town. Somebody else hosted the show that day, but this is what Napolitano usually covers. http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1058424745001/somethings-rotten-in-the-state-of-arizona/?playlist_id=89637

Mike
07-28-2011, 08:03 PM
For the lawyer of his stature, there are plenty of other paychecks out there; why the one from Daibes?

The reason I am surprised he got in bed with Daibes is that Napolitano is a strong libertarian, who calls himself Ayn Rand of Fox News. He advocates for small government and speaks for adherence to Constitution. He rants against government corruption and intrusion on every show. Daibes is an embodiment of government corruption and intrusion.... I am just trying to figure out "how does that add up?"Lots of people have gotten into bed with Daibes, so to speak. See the attached. Guess who owns Regina's? Heck, guess who Regina is? Also see this (http://www.07020.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5576).

trekkie
07-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Lots of people have gotten into bed with Daibes, so to speak. See the attached. Guess who owns Regina's? Heck, guess who Regina is? Also see this (http://www.07020.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5576).

Daibes and Clintons - I am not surprised. They needed money and he needed access - that is typical.

What about Obama fundraiser in Cresskill ? Who was there?

About Judge Napolitano, I have only seen one mention of him working for Daibes in that one newspaper article. I wonder if it is true. This just doesn't fit...

Zaida D.
08-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Judge Andrew P. Napolitano is of counsel with the firm of Mintz & Gold LLP. You will find the answer to your question in google by typing:

Mintz & Gold LLP v Daibes

The answer will surprise you!

trekkie
08-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Judge Andrew P. Napolitano is of counsel with the firm of Mintz & Gold LLP. You will find the answer to your question in google by typing:

Mintz & Gold LLP v Daibes

The answer will surprise you!

Thanks Zaida, this explains a lot. The whole Daibes-Napolitano connection didn't make sense otherwise.
Napolitano's stances on government and corruption completely differ from what Daibes represents. If this was some kind of personal connection, that would have been disappointing. When Judge used to work in Hackensack, he was telling these local little Tsars, like Calabreses, off. Here is an example http://www.nytimes.com/1994/10/29/nyregion/eviction-raises-a-congregation-s-anger.html
I am just so sick and tired of everybody being connected in this disgusting soup of corruption.
If you have more info on this, please post.

Mike
08-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Opinion is attached. Freddy won this round.

trekkie
08-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks, Mike.
I guess there is no love lost between Judge Napolitano and Daibes.
Daibes has been involved in so many lawsuits in Bergen County alone, he is a pro at this point.
It is us, little people, who are afraid of lawsuits. These people do what ever they want, and then have their lawyers to fix it all in courts. If you ever had to deal with the municipal prosecutor or any of the borough attorneys, you know what I mean - nasty pieces of work that they are.

Zaida D.
08-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Concerning the violation. It says there was allowed to be only 1,300 sq feet of fill and instead there was 53,625 sq feet of fill used. Does anyone know how to convert square feet into cubic feet, because a dump truck holds 13 cubic yards of dirt. It would be interesting to see how many dump trucks of dirt were allowed, and how many dump trucks actually were used for the unauthorized fill, to get a feel for the magnitude of the violation.

Twenty years ago the NJ DEP was a formidable force in the state. Any violation that was not fixed in 30 days was dealt with immediately. Twenty years ago concrete barriers would have been placed in front of that property and the place boarded up.

The NJ DEP is starting to look like a bunch of pansies.

trekkie
08-13-2011, 06:21 AM
How deep is the fill? To get cubic feet you need to multiply square feet by the depth of a pile. I have not seen the fill. Can you guestimate how deep it goes?

Zaida D.
08-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Well the violation states that the fill went 75 feet offshore for the entire legnth of the property and the property which was previously sloped was now terraced. It sounds like an guestimate would be 3 ft or 36 inches, which may be conservative. Hopefully there is an engineer or architect that can chime in.

trekkie
08-13-2011, 12:51 PM
It looks like 3-4 feet for that location is about right. See the charts http://www.scribd.com/doc/18651678/Hudson-River-Charts

trekkie
08-13-2011, 01:00 PM
It says there was allowed to be only 1,300 sq feet of fill and instead there was 53,625 sq feet of fill used. Does anyone know how to convert square feet into cubic feet, because a dump truck holds 13 cubic yards of dirt.

Lets assume conservatively the depth is 3 feet. The slope on Hudson is pretty steep, so conservative 3 feet should accommodate the slope for this guestimate.

53,625 sq ft x 3 ft = 160,875 cubic ft
13 cubic yards = 351 cubic feet
160,875 cubic ft / 351 cubic feet = 458 truck loads of dirt.

Does this sound right?

Mike
08-13-2011, 01:48 PM
The math is correct. My main concern wouldn't be truckloads, but instead, where the fill came from. Note it's possible some of the dirt could have come from the site itself by removing the slope.

Any thoughts, DWK?

trekkie
08-13-2011, 02:51 PM
The math is correct. My main concern wouldn't be truckloads, but instead, where the fill came from. Note it's possible some of the dirt could have come from the site itself by removing the slope.

Any thoughts, DWK?

That is a good question. Slope removal could account for some. Daibes has plenty of projects around the area. They dug up sites in both Cliffside Park and Edgewater. I hope the dirt didn't come from that Superfund on River Road.

Zaida D.
08-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the math. That would mean the original 1,300 square feet would have taken 11 dump truck loads to fill in the original 7 feet offshore allowed in the permit for the walkway. Instead they went 75 feet offsore, or ten times the distance, which would now require 110 dump truck loads of fill.

The rest would be needed for the terracing and the widened parking lot. That would explain why the owner estimated it would cost $1 Million to restore the property to its original condition, that's a pretty big job.

Does anyone remember years ago when there was a huge mountain of dirt at a construction yard on River Road accross from Edgewater Commons, and the town demanded it be removed? How do you get rid of dirt, do you throw it away?

Mike
08-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Does anyone remember years ago when there was a huge mountain of dirt at a construction yard on River Road accross from Edgewater Commons, and the town demanded it be removed? How do you get rid of dirt, do you throw it away?Ah yes, the dirt (http://www.edgewaterunited.com/news_archive.html#getting). If you're Freddy, it becomes Phil, er, fill.

Valory Bardinas
08-14-2011, 03:14 PM
I remember the dirt pile very well. At that time I was a Independent council woman on the developer controlled Edgewater council. I fought hard for several years to try and get the council to make the developer provide a certified scientific report on the contents of the soil being stored and to make the developer disclose the location where the soil was removed from. As with everything in this town, the developer controlled council backed the developer and refused to do anything on the dirt pile. The developer did provide me with a extensive report, however it had nothing to do with the dirt that was being stored on the construction site. I guess he did not think I would actually read it.

Instead of being concerned for the health and safety of our families, the developer controlled counsel mocked and scorned me.

That's okay, Karma has a way of working things out, these same council people are being investigated by people who are soooo much more powerful then such a "irrelevant" person as myself! :yep:

trekkie
08-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the math. That would mean the original 1,300 square feet would have taken 11 dump truck loads to fill in the original 7 feet offshore allowed in the permit for the walkway. Instead they went 75 feet offsore, or ten times the distance, which would now require 110 dump truck loads of fill.

The rest would be needed for the terracing and the widened parking lot. That would explain why the owner estimated it would cost $1 Million to restore the property to its original condition, that's a pretty big job.

That is a lot of trucks going back and forth on a 2 lane River Rd. Somebody from the area must have seen something. Is anybody here from the area? Do you know anybody who lives there? Maybe they can remember something.
Who is the owner there?
It is listed as 157 River Rd-
1257 RIVER RD %LE JARDIN
RIVER-LOOKOUT ASSOC LLC
724 RIVER RD BOX 207
EDGEWATER, NJ 00000

1275 River Rd. is also listed under 1257 RIVER RD %LE JARDIN
1255 River Rd is listed under RIVER-LOOKOUT ASSOC LLC

So, it is all the same person.

trekkie
08-14-2011, 04:58 PM
I remember the dirt pile very well. At that time I was a Independent council woman on the developer controlled Edgewater council. I fought hard for several years to try and get the council to make the developer provide a certified scientific report on the contents of the soil being stored and to make the developer disclose the location where the soil was removed from. As with everything in this town, the developer controlled council backed the developer and refused to do anything on the dirt pile. The developer did provide me with a extensive report, however it had nothing to do with the dirt that was being stored on the construction site. I guess he did not think I would actually read it.

Instead of being concerned for the health and safety of our families, the developer controlled counsel mocked and scorned me.

That's okay, Karma has a way of working things out, these same council people are being investigated by people who are soooo much more powerful then such a "irrelevant" person as myself! :yep:

Good job, Valory. Somebody has got to ask these questions and keep these guys aware that this is still USA and nobody is above the law. These things take time and don't always produce desired results, but it has to be done. Otherwise, they can do anything to anybody, to the point where people assume it is new normal and don't speak up when something egregious happens, because they assume there is nothing they can do.

Zaida D.
08-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Hey trekkie,

I found a similar case of illegal fill on the website of the:

State of New Jersey
Office of Adminstrative Law
OAL Docket No. ESA 3236-00 & 3240-00

Department of Environmental Protection, Coastal and Land Use Enforcement

Petitioner,

v.

Roc Harbour Condominium, Inc. and Fred A. Daibes

Respondents.

It took place in July 1999 at 800 River Road, North Bergen. "Mistakes" happen.

trekkie
08-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Hey trekkie,

I found a similar case of illegal fill on the website of the:

State of New Jersey
OAL Docket No. ESA 3236-00 & 3240-00

Department of Environmental Protection, Coastal and Land Use Enforcement

Petitioner,

v.

Roc Harbour Condominium, Inc. and Fred A. Daibes

Respondents.

It took place in July 1999 at 800 River Road, North Bergen. "Mistakes" happen.

Nice research, Zaida!

When these people do something, you can bet they have done it before. If you look at what developers do around the area and the way they do it, you will see patterns in the way they break the rules. They worked out systems of circumventing or ignoring the regulations and, because all these little municipalities either have the same officials or friends in high places, these developers get away with it time after time. Case and point - Candelmo.

I guess DEP has a "soft spot" for Daibes at this point. They don't like when somebody flaunts it in front of them like this. Did Daibes restore the shore line and pay the fees?

dwk
08-15-2011, 03:54 PM

Any thoughts, DWK?

Mostly from the terracing of the property.

DWK

Zaida D.
08-15-2011, 04:08 PM
trekkie,
The developer Roc harbour was responsible for the fine and the fees.
It turns out the DEP are not pansies afterall. Back then the fine was a total of $1,000.00 and $100.00 per day until it was restored.

Today the fine is $25,000.00 per violation per day. That's why they don't care how long it takes, they want to make millions of dollars in penalties and fees, so they can substantiate their large budgets.

It doesn't pay to be in business anymore. Anyway, that property would make a nice lookout like they have in Alpine on the PIP.

It could probably hold 100 angled parking spaces and be used when there is an event at the field, and there is not enough parking. Perhaps the small silver round building could turn into a Stewart's Root Beer Roadside stand.

How sweet would that be!

trekkie
08-15-2011, 07:48 PM
trekkie,
The developer Roc harbour was responsible for the fine and the fees.
It turns out the DEP are not pansies afterall. Back then the fine was a total of $1,000.00 and $100.00 per day until it was restored.

Today the fine is $25,000.00 per violation per day. That's why they don't care how long it takes, they want to make millions of dollars in penalties and fees, so they can substantiate their large budgets.

It doesn't pay to be in business anymore.

25K is pretty steep, but nobody ever pays the full amount - they negotiate it down, or the judge decides that the final number is too large and cuts it down.

DEP doesn't get the money directly - it goes to the Treasury.

There are codes and regulations - if developer doesn't want to pay penalties, he should not break the law, especially in bad faith.

Mike
09-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Developer fined $1.9M for defying DEP orders
Tuesday, September 13, 2011
Last updated: Tuesday September 13, 2011, 9:02 AM
BY NICK CLUNN
STAFF WRITER
The Record

A major North Jersey developer has been fined $1.9 million for completing several projects on the Hudson River in Edgewater without a state permit while disregarding repeated demands for compliance.

The penalty is one of the larger environmental enforcement actions of its kind, and represents the latest development in a decade-long conflict with regulators over improvements Fred Daibes has made to Le Jardin, his French restaurant on River Road, and property that surrounds it.

A compliance order issued by the state Department of Environmental Protection in May alleges that Daibes removed mature trees and shrubs from a coastal bluff roughly half the size of a football field. He also is alleged to have covered an acre of river bottom with fill and to have conducted other projects without a permit required by the DEP for construction along environmentally sensitive coastlines.

Daibes replied to the order by seeking an administrative hearing, DEP spokesman Larry Hajna said. A date has not been set. Daibes did not respond to several messages seeking comment. He has, however, previously addressed in media reports and court papers some of the findings contained in the order. His reactions have ranged wildly.

"We made a mistake," Daibes told The Record in February 2009 after inspectors cited him for dumping fill in the river, a finding that was repeated in the latest order.

But less than a year later, after the state fined him $850,000 for the dumping and other unauthorized work, Daibes sued the DEP in federal court, alleging that the agency misapplied regulations in "an attempt to extort money."

Daibes withdrew his claims months later.

'Major violation'

Taken together, the alleged infractions constitute a major violation, the most severe of three categories, the order states.

Daibes was cited under the Environmental Enforcement Enhancement Act, a law that went into effect only three years ago to significantly increase fines for violations that occur along the coast, Hajna said.

The penalty assessed against Daibes is for "one of the larger violations" being addressed under the act, Hajna said. A list of other major violators that have been fined under the act was not available, he said.

Daibes' dispute with the DEP comes as he is trying to reverse a judge's order requiring him to pay more than $2.8 million to the former owner of a onetime industrial site in Cresskill. The former owner had argued that Daibes owed him more because a piece of the 18-acre tract was developed as condominiums instead of rental apartments. [See http://www.07020.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10724]

The kind of housing Daibes sought to build was a key factor in determining the value of the land, the judge said in July.

Through his real estate firm, Daibes Enterprises, Daibes has built many residential and commercial properties across Bergen County. But his influence is perhaps the most significant in Edgewater, where he lives and runs his business.

The borough's population increased by 50 percent in the 1990s because of the waterfront development boom created by Daibes and others. Daibes said in 2004 that, alone and with partners, he had built $500 million worth of construction in Edgewater.

His Edgewater projects include City Place, Mariner's Cove and Waterford Towers. In 2004, Daibes built for himself a nine-bedroom penthouse apartment with a swimming pool inside his own high-rise, the St. Moritz on Gorge Road.

It was at that point when Daibes seemed he might come into compliance at Le Jardin. In May of that year, the DEP retroactively issued Daibes a Waterfront Development Permit for work he had done at the restaurant without one.

But in the years that followed, inspectors sent to the restaurant to check on progress found new violations in addition to the old ones that remained, the order stated.

By February 2008, Daibes had received two violation notices from the DEP. When inspectors visited Le Jardin that month, they discovered the fill in the river and a roof covering a patio that had not been enclosed, the order stated. The DEP characterized the new roof as an "unauthorized expansion."

Daibes told The Record in February 2009 that DEP officials were willing to minimize their focus on the patio enclosure if other conditions were met, including the removal of the fill. That job alone would cost $1 million, Daibes estimated at the time.

Walkway planned

The fill covered an area where Daibes had agreed to build a section of the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway - a state-mandated requirement of all riverfront landowners between Bayonne and the George Washington Bridge.

There is no path along the water today, only large rocks and a short wall - two more unpermitted additions, the order states.

The fill has not been tested for contamination, Hajna said.

All told, the investigation has "revealed that unauthorized regulated activities have occurred which have negatively impacted, or could potentially negatively impact, the coastal area and its resources," the order stated.

The order also requires Daibes to submit a plan describing how he would essentially undo the unpermitted work.

Such a plan must detail how Daibes intends to remove fill from the river and plant native vegetation on the 27,000 square feet of coastal bluff that he had cleared.

Daibes will have an opportunity to keep the roof over the patio by applying for a permit for the installation. But the order also says the DEP could force him to remove it if the permit is denied.

The roof covers about 90 seats. During a recent visit, the patio section appeared to constitute about half the dining area.

Aware of the financial benefit that an expansion can bring to a restaurateur, the DEP estimated that Le Jardin has made an additional $23,000 with an all-season patio.

The proceeds from patés, steaks au poivre and other fare served in that section were added to the fine.

E-mail: clunn@northjersey.com

Mike
09-13-2011, 08:24 PM
North Jersey developer offers to build park if $1.9M fine dropped
Tuesday, September 13, 2011
BY NICK CLUNN
STAFF WRITER
The Record

EDGEWATER — North Jersey developer Fred Daibes said he will build a public park along the Hudson River waterfront if the state agrees to dismiss a $1.9 million fine leveled against him earlier this year for building violations.

Daibes said Tuesday he plans to pitch the idea to the state Department of Environmental Protection during scheduled talks that could settle a decade-long dispute involving unauthorized work at Le Jardin, his French restaurant on River Road.

A DEP spokesman declined comment Tuesday, citing ongoing litigation between Daibes and the department. Daibes requested a hearing after the department issued the penalty in May.

The DEP also claimed that Daibes removed mature trees from a coastal bluff, covered an acre of river bottom with fill, and conducted other projects without a permit required for construction along environmentally sensitive coastlines.

As part of his settlement proposal, Daibes said he also would build a section of the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway in front of Le Jardin, and in doing so, would link developments to the north and south where portions of the walkway already exists.

There is, however, a catch.

In addition to dismissing the fine, Daibes said he also would want the DEP to give him permission to build a three-story residential building on a pier that would jut into the Hudson from the sloped coastline near Le Jardin.

“I’m in the restaurant business, but I’m a developer,” Daibes said. “I bought that land as a developer. I never planned to keep it just as a restaurant.”

Daibes said he had discussed the parkland-for-homes deal with officials for years, including the period when Lisa Jackson was DEP commissioner.

The park, which would occupy a slope that descends from the back of the Le Jardin, would allow visitors, including those in wheelchairs, to take in views of the George Washington Bridge and Manhattan from a lookout, Daibes said he told the DEP.

There were also talks with wildlife officials about planting trees that would attract certain kinds of birds, Daibes said. The borough is known for its colony of monk parakeets.

But negotiations ceased when the DEP officials involved left the agency when Jackson was appointed to head the Environmental Protection Agency, Daibes said.

Daibes on Tuesday also discussed some of the violations the led to the fine. While he said paving a parking lot without DEP permission was a mistake, unauthorized work done along the waterfront, including the dumping of fill without a permit, was done to improve land that he thought would become a small state park.

“I was spending money to make their asset better,” he said.

Daibes and DEP officials are expected to meet for a settlement conference in the next several weeks, he said.

E-mail: clunn@northjersey.com

Zaida D.
09-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Hey. This guy used my idea of building the Edgewater Lookout. I would support this 100%. There could be parking along river road, and a walkway going down to the riverbank to a large walkway with benches.

There is no case currently scheduled in the NJ office of administrative law:

33 Washington Street
Newark, N.J. 07102

Clerk (973)648-6003

NJDEP PEA080002
1275 River Road Associates

When a docket number is assigned, we should all write to help make this park a reality.

Valory Bardinas
09-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Hey. This guy used my idea of building the Edgewater Lookout. I would support this 100%. There could be parking along river road, and a walkway going down to the riverbank to a large walkway with benches.

There is no case currently scheduled in the NJ office of administrative law:

33 Washington Street
Newark, N.J. 07102

Clerk (973)648-6003

NJDEP PEA080002
1275 River Road Associates

When a docket number is assigned, we should all write to help make this park a reality.

So let me get this straight Zaida, you are in favor of allowing the developer that originally destroyed the natural landscape without DEP permission or a permit to now build a so called "park." You really crack me up. This guy is legally obligated to restore that property and build a public walkway. The DEP gave this developer the chance to make things right. Instead, this developer thumbed his nose at the DEP and the public.

Could it be that your opinion stems from the fact that you work for the developer.

Zaida D.
09-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Just so that I am perfectly clear. There are 2 options that exist:

Option A-(Zaida's plan):

The developer turns over the deed to the land to the town.
The property is re-zoned as parkland.
The restaurant and connected house are razed.
No apartment building can be built on a jetty or anywhere.
Developer is responsible for any environmental cleanup.
Developer builds 100 parking spaces along river road.
Developer replants trees and vegetation and builds park and walkway.
Round silver building is used as public bathrooms and food stand.
After 10 years, trying to remove the fill from the riverbed will cause more harm than good.

Option B:
Developer pays $1.9 Million fine(goes to treasury).
Developer pays $1 Million to restore land(rendering the property useless)
Restaurant loses parking lot.
Restaurant loses roof over patio.

The town seems to get more from Option A than Option B.

Valory, athough we had a small disagreement, I hope we can mend our fences and work together to build a better edgewater.

BTW- I'm 72 years old, I don't work.

northjersey
09-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Interestingly, the news article notes there is "a catch". With Fred there always is. He and Bryan run the Borough. Delaney and the Council are afraid to do anything without Fred giving the green light. Pathetic.

MHogan201
09-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Hey, if Fred wants to build a park just make sure he incudes a gazebo and/or clocktower. He has promised those things on every piece he touts before the Boards and they have never been built. ;)

Just like every approval he has gone to the Board of Adjustment for a business approval, he says he is going to have his family business located there. If you believe that then he has his family business located in several locations in Edgewater.

I do have to laugh at his offer to the DEP. The Park of the Palisades (which is located behind my house) consists of mature trees, undergrowth, etc. on a steep slope. This is what Fred removed from the slope in the first place and now wants to replace it for a removal of the $1.9 fine and the ability to build more residential units on a pier.

You got to love a town where a developer would have the b....s to even suggest this. What a hoot! Jersey Shore can't come near to this reality (and we are apparently paying for that one too!).

Seriously, we all do have to write a book! :thumbsup:

Mary Hogan

Mike
09-15-2011, 10:29 AM
My theory is that to make the Colony diversion (http://www.07020.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10814) work, the town needs to come up with additional open space. So, Freddy donates his park to the borough, the town encumbers it under Green Acres, and Freddy is repaid manyfold by the town and Colony for his generosity.

clearvista
09-15-2011, 11:59 AM
My theory is that to make the Colony diversion (http://www.07020.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10814) work, the town needs to come up with additional open space. So, Freddy donates his park to the borough, the town encumbers it under Green Acres, and Freddy is repaid manyfold by the town and Colony for his generosity.

Exactly. Business as usual.

Sky Warrior
09-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Hey, if Fred wants to build a park just make sure he incudes a gazebo and/or clocktower. He has promised those things on every piece he touts before the Boards and they have never been built. ;)

Just like every approval he has gone to the Board of Adjustment for a business approval, he says he is going to have his family business located there. If you believe that then he has his family business located in several locations in Edgewater.

I do have to laugh at his offer to the DEP. The Park of the Palisades (which is located behind my house) consists of mature trees, undergrowth, etc. on a steep slope. This is what Fred removed from the slope in the first place and now wants to replace it for a removal of the $1.9 fine and the ability to build more residential units on a pier.

You got to love a town where a developer would have the b....s to even suggest this. What a hoot! Jersey Shore can't come near to this reality (and we are apparently paying for that one too!).

Seriously, we all do have to write a book! :thumbsup:

Mary Hogan

"Just like every approval he has gone to the Board of Adjustment for a business approval".
Ahh me lady and who is the chariman of the Board of Adjustment? How many of his approvals have been denied? Any questions?

A book, it would take a novel. Edgewater puts the Sopranos to shame a weekly series is more like it.

trekkie
09-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Does anybody want to address corruption? Christie is conducting a town hall meeting in Union. Maybe we can ask him about what he is going to do about these little Tsars in local towns stepping all over us, regular people.

There is a town hall meeting with Governor Chris Christie on Monday, September 19th, at the Boys and Girls Club of Union County in Union Township. In order to ensure adequate seating for attendees, please RSVP.

Town Hall Meeting with Governor Christie
Monday, September 19th, 2011
WHAT: Town Hall Meeting
WHEN: Doors Open at 2:45 PM, Program Begins at 3:30 PM
WHERE: Boys and Girls Club of Union County
1050 Jeanette Avenue
Union Twp, New Jersey 07083

Seating is on a first come, first serve basis and open to the public. RSVP if you want to go at: http://www.facebook.com/l/5AQDiciENAQBESxrzMvNI8TW9ktduueZf9pz4kIKLF-MmBA/www.nj.gov/governor- YOU MUST RSVP

trekkie
09-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Here are the reforms Christie is trying to push (wouldn't that be nice?):
Governor Christie has put forward a series of rigorous ethics reform measures that are in step with his commitment to change the culture of government in New Jersey and demand accountability to better serve the people. These comprehensive reforms are tough, but fair and guided by common sense, which is what the people of New Jersey expect. The proposed measures include:
A New, Detailed Annual Financial Disclosure Statement From Both The Executive And Legislative Branches

A Full Ban On Dual Office Holding That Ends Grandfathering

A Ban On Dual Employment For All State, County And Local Officials And Employees

An Effective Conflict Of Interest Standard For Legislators

Real Penalties For Those Who Violate The Public’s Trust

Comprehensive Legislation To Fix Pay-To-Play, Effectively Restrict “Wheeling” And Close Loopholes In Restrictions On The Awarding Of Government Contracts

Zaida D.
09-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Nice research Trekkie!

Did you know that in the last 10 years over 175 politicians in Northern New Jersey have been indicted and convicted of crimes. Of those, over 100 were done over the watchful eye of former NJ Attorney General Chris Christie.

Surely if there was any wrongdoing or criminality in Edgewater as some on this forum repeatedly suggest, Chris Christie would have uncovered it.

Now is the time to send your proof to Governor Christie and prove your case. As Chris Christie says:

"It's time to put up or shut up" and "No comments from the peanut gallery".

Edgewater Fire Official
09-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Nice research Trekkie!

Did you know that in the last 10 years over 175 politicians in Northern New Jersey have been indicted and convicted of crimes. Of those, over 100 were done over the watchful eye of former NJ Attorney General Chris Christie.

Surely if there was any wrongdoing or criminality in Edgewater as some on this forum repeatedly suggest, Chris Christie would have uncovered it.

Now is the time to send your proof to Governor Christie and prove your case. As Chris Christie says:

You might be right about the indicted part, but conviction is pretty near impossible. Let us know how many got convicted. There's a mother right now somewhere in Florida whose laughing at our legal system. And if you read the newpapers there's a few political hacks in Edgewater laughing also.

Valory Bardinas
09-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Nice research Trekkie!

Funny, that is the same response that residents and members of the Independent Coalition for a Better Edgewater were told by two former mayors of Edgewater in reply to concerns about the “pay to play” rules that are so pervasive in Edgewater’s government.

As Edgewater’s only watchdog organization, the ICBE has successfully proven that Edgewater's elected officials are beholden to their deep pocketed developer and special interest cronies. In fact the State of New Jersey Department of the Controller's Office has issued two reports that clearly outline the incompetence and corruption that is embedded in Edgewater’s government/administration.

Mike
09-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Of those, over 100 were done over the watchful eye of former NJ Attorney General Chris Christie.Chris Christie was never NJ Attorney General, but he was a U.S. Attorney. The Bergen County prosecutor was too busy vacationing with our soon-to-be-indicted assemblyman, Joe Coniglio, to pay attention to EW.

Zaida D.
09-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Chris Christie-Wikipedia: During his tenure Christie's office won convictions or guilty pleas from 130 public officials, both Republican and Democratic, on the state, county and local levels without losing a single case.

True it is difficult, but as trekkie points out, Christie is trying to make it easier with new laws.

Now that there is a second comptroller's report being issued on Edgewater, perhaps the governor will appoint a special monitor for the next year to oversee the building department, tax assessor's office and mayor and council, to ensure there are no "mistakes".

Would that ease your concerns?

trekkie
09-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Oh, New Jersey! So many corrupt little towns, so little time....

You are right, Christie was a busy little bee, but the situation is such, he could not physically address all the issues. On the scale of Jersey universe, places like Jersey City and Newark have much bigger problems than tiny Edgewater or Cliffside Park. It is a miracle Christie was so productive in our area.

Jailing small or even medium sized crooks is useless unless the citizens are given more tools to address corruption. Right now the mechanism is to complain to the County Prosecutor. Yeah, right! He is one of them....

Complaining to the state doesn't work very well because there is a gap between the state agencies and local towns. If you call the state and complain about corruption, developers, nepotism, violations, they will tell you that they have no jurisdiction over local towns - somebody removed the agency that used to bridge the state regulators and local authorities and allowed the state to address the ethics and rules violations directly.

Now, if you have an issue with "questionable" decision by the buildings or zoning official, the DCA tells you to complain to the Zoning Board or Board of Adjustments. That's the people who appointed those nefarious officials in the first place! If you point that fact out, the DCA people laugh uncomfortably and say "That's New Jersey!" (like it is a good excuse) and then suggest you complain to the County Prosecutor. When you explain the situation with the prosecutor, they tell you there is nothing they can do because the local municipalities are autonomous.

There are bazillion little departments within the State doing who know what. Of all these places, they eliminated the one that allowed "little" people to by-pass the local swamp and get some justice on the state level.

Imagine if Edgewater Coalition could put together all the violations and bring it up to the agency whose job it would be to run each violation against existing laws, figure out what needs to be addressed and start demanding explanations and cleaning up the house.

Valory Bardinas
09-19-2011, 07:45 AM
I agree with everything that is being said in regards to this post, however, as I see it unless us little guys get off our behinds and demand accountability nothing would/could change.
It is nice to vent and possibily connect with like minded people on this and other message boards, but people really need to attend the council and zoning board meetings where these guys are forced to come public with most of their nasty little plans. Alright I conceed that they plans are really never forthcoming, however, this is one of the places where our governing body can be held accountable, the other is at the polls.

People should not be afraid of these creeps, they can't take your housing, or jobs. They really have no power individually, we just have to make sure their actions are made public.

MHogan201
09-19-2011, 10:04 AM
It is so ironic that that people talk about being involved.

One of the most involved person I know in terms of Le Jardin was Donald Kopchinski. He paid his own personal money to bring the matter to Court. He was constantly pointing out to the Mayor and Council, Boards, etc., in Edgewater what the problem was. He worked very hard on this. It took a lot of time and he had the facts to back it up.

What was the Mayor and Council's response? He was branded a "nay sayer", a "gad fly" and was constantly treated as a second-class citizen before the Mayor and Council and Boards. His appeal to the Board of Adjustment was interrupted as it was being heard and another matter was then heard. He got all this disrespect and ridicule and you know what? HE WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG.

As usual in this town, it takes an outside agency to get the Borough to even admit that maybe they should look at the problem. And then the Mayor and Council turn on the agency and whine and cry and say they are being picked on. If they ever listen to their citizenship, they might even get a clue of what is going on right under their very noses. :banghead:

Who am I kidding? They already know and have their "marching orders" as to how to handle it and keep the public quite. :mad:

Mary Hogan

Sky Warrior
09-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Oh, New Jersey! So many corrupt little towns, so little time....

You are right, Christie was a busy little bee, but the situation is such, he could not physically address all the issues. On the scale of Jersey universe, places like Jersey City and Newark have much bigger problems than tiny Edgewater or Cliffside Park. It is a miracle Christie was so productive in our area.

Jailing small or even medium sized crooks is useless unless the citizens are given more tools to address corruption. Right now the mechanism is to complain to the County Prosecutor. Yeah, right! He is one of them....

Complaining to the state doesn't work very well because there is a gap between the state agencies and local towns. If you call the state and complain about corruption, developers, nepotism, violations, they will tell you that they have no jurisdiction over local towns - somebody removed the agency that used to bridge the state regulators and local authorities and allowed the state to address the ethics and rules violations directly.

Now, if you have an issue with "questionable" decision by the buildings or zoning official, the DCA tells you to complain to the Zoning Board or Board of Adjustments. That's the people who appointed those nefarious officials in the first place! If you point that fact out, the DCA people laugh uncomfortably and say "That's New Jersey!" (like it is a good excuse) and then suggest you complain to the County Prosecutor. When you explain the situation with the prosecutor, they tell you there is nothing they can do because the local municipalities are autonomous.

There are bazillion little departments within the State doing who know what. Of all these places, they eliminated the one that allowed "little" people to by-pass the local swamp and get some justice on the state level.

Imagine if Edgewater Coalition could put together all the violations and bring it up to the agency whose job it would be to run each violation against existing laws, figure out what needs to be addressed and start demanding explanations and cleaning up the house.

It is depressing to find out that the Bergen County Prosecutor is one of them (an Edgewater thug). Where is our crime fighting Governor and the Attorney General? Bad enough we have corrupt politians, but if our law enforcement agencies are corrupt, we are doomed.

The fabric of our society is falling apart before our very eyes.

Zaida D.
09-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Unfortunately in 2008 the entire country was lied to. We were promised transparancy and hope and change we could beleive in. The entire country was about to be transformed.

Now we have Solyndra, Lightsquared, US Generals being pressured to change testimony, and that's just the beginning.

Today the Chicago Tribune editors suggest that perhaps Obama should sit out the 2012 election. Can you believe that? What happened to the promises?

Are you surpirsed everyone is disgusted, disappointed, desenfranchised and disengaged.

I have to leave for Florida today, but I'll be back in April. Please stay focused and continue the fight to make Edgewater the crown jewel of the (Bergen County) east coast.

Zaida D.

kate
09-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Yes, it all started in 2008, we've never been lied to before then...well never by a black man in charge:rolleyes:, maybe that's what disturbs you most.

I have to leave for Florida today, but I'll be back in April. Please stay focused and continue the fight to make Edgewater the crown jewel of the (Bergen County) east coast.

Oh, and who are we keeping up the fight for? a cartoon character.

trekkie
09-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Yes, it all started in 2008, we've never been lied to before then...well never by a black man in charge:rolleyes:, maybe that's what disturbs you most.

Two comments to this.

First, no-o-o, it didn't start in 2008 - Washington has been broken for a very, very long time and everybody is guilty - Democrats, Republicans and, you too, Joe Lieberman - the Independent. This administration is just continuing the trend. The politicians come and go, but the system stays all the same - corrupt and self-serving. New people come and plug into Government machine and start acting just like the old people who were removed from it just before.

Second, it is racist to make an assumption that people don't like the administration just because Obama is black. Is race all he has? Are you saying he has nothing else to offer? Do you even know Zaida enough to accuse her of racism? She was very specific about what she didn't like about the administration, and none of it mentioned Obama's genotype. What you said was extremely insulting and unsubstantiated.

Think about this - Obama's approval rating when he started in 2008 was 65% approval, 20% disapproval. Now it is 43% approval, 51% disapproval. Did all of those people who changed their minds about Obama become racist all of a sudden? That is a lot of people.... It is not his race, it is his actions that people don't like.

I don't like Obama, Reed, Pelosy and other Washington politicians for their views, policies and actions - their race, age or gender have nothing to do with anything. By the way, I don't like most Republicans there either. Bush did a bunch of reckless and Progressive things that didn't sit well with me.

Sky Warrior
09-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Two comments to this.

First, no-o-o, it didn't start in 2008 - Washington has been broken for a very, very long time and everybody is guilty - Democrats, Republicans and, you too, Joe Lieberman - the Independent. This administration is just continuing the trend. The politicians come and go, but the system stays all the same - corrupt and self-serving. New people come and plug into Government machine and start acting just like the old people who were removed from it just before.

Second, it is racist to make an assumption that people don't like the administration just because Obama is black. Is race all he has? Are you saying he has nothing else to offer? Do you even know Zaida enough to accuse her of racism? She was very specific about what she didn't like about the administration, and none of it mentioned Obama's genotype. What you said was extremely insulting and unsubstantiated.

Think about this - Obama's approval rating when he started in 2008 was 65% approval, 20% disapproval. Now it is 43% approval, 51% disapproval. Did all of those people who changed their minds about Obama become racist all of a sudden? That is a lot of people.... It is not his race, it is his actions that people don't like.

I don't like Obama, Reed, Pelosy and other Washington politicians for their views, policies and actions - their race, age or gender have nothing to do with anything. By the way, I don't like most Republicans there either. Bush did a bunch of reckless and Progressive things that didn't sit well with me.

Well said Trekie, Obama's dimise is of his own making.

I am sick of the hands-off, race card playing agenda of media and left wing a like. History will prove him to be the worse president this country has ever had and it will not be bacause he is black, it will be due to his deplorable, job killing policies.

2012 cannot come soon enough.

trekkie
09-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Unfortunately in 2008 the entire country was lied to.

Washington is far and away - we are just numbers to them. What is happening there right now has nothing to do with our local corruption, which is very close and personal to all of us in local towns. Calabrese Sr. has been in his office for 50+ years, acting all the same, regardless who was in charge of the country.

The culture of corruption in Washington sets an awful standard, but what is happening on the ground here is autonomous and has its own weather. Obama is not to blame here - we are. Apathy of local population allows these crooks to stay in office and do what ever they want. People ignore most of the shenanigans because it doesn't affect them directly most of the times.

However, when it does affect them and they start running around looking for justice, they realize that there is almost nothing they can do because, through their inaction, they allowed the system to transform into what it is. Consequently, the only people who can benefit from this system are the crooks, because they were the only ones who paid attention to it, maintained it and customized it to their purposes.

Zaida D.
09-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Dear Trekkie and Sky Walker,

Thank you for standing up for me. You both conduct yourselves with honor and integrity.

Sometimes people will say hurtful and hateful things out of ignorance, not realizing the harm and pain it can cause. I truly feel sorry for those poor souls. When they say those things, it renders everything they say irrelevant.

How did politics turn this ugly? They even called Bill Clinton a racist for supporting his wife Hillary during her presidential campain.

If Mitt Romney is elected President and someone complains or gives an opinion, does it automatically mean they hate Mormons, and it's religious discrimination? Does the same apply if the President were Hispanic, Gay, female, Senior Citizen, Jewish or Muslim?

There are discrimination laws in this country for certain protected classes, however they do not apply to the President of the United States.

kate
09-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Second, it is racist to make an assumption that people don't like the administration just because Obama is black.No it isn't. It's just amazing to me that none of this nonsense bothered any of those who post so vehemently against what is happening now. Maybe if all you concerned citizens had spoken up earlier much none of this would have happened including the election of Obama.

And for the record 71% of the US debt to date was accumulated during Republican presidential terms. (NYT/Harper's Research) and 2/3 off all debt ceiling elevations have been signed into law by Republican presidents (US Treasury). So all of you have plenty of time to speak up. I can't imagine what pushed you over the edge now.

trekkie
09-21-2011, 07:54 PM
No it isn't. It's just amazing to me that none of this nonsense bothered any of those who post so vehemently against what is happening now. Maybe if all you concerned citizens had spoken up earlier much none of this would have happened including the election of Obama.

And for the record 71% of the US debt to date was accumulated during Republican presidential terms. (NYT/Harper's Research) and 2/3 off all debt ceiling elevations have been signed into law by Republican presidents (US Treasury). So all of you have plenty of time to speak up. I can't imagine what pushed you over the edge now.

It is racist to assume that the people who disagree with Obama on anything are automatically racists. I am sorry you are not seeing how offensive your statement really is. Maybe years from now, when you gain perspective on this, you will see why the people you are accusing of racism are getting upset about it.

What sets people off is not Obama’s race but statements like “spread the wealth around” and "I do think at a certain point you've made enough money" - that is class warfare and redistribution. You may believe in those ideas, but a lot of people don't. This is just a difference in ideologies and calling it racism at every turn is shallow.

The rampant spending, TARPs and corruption bothered people like Dick Armey and FreedomWorks (people who became the base for the Taxed Enough Already Party) when Bush was in office. They objected to it just the same, but in the sea of Bush haters, their voice was just one of many. All the Progressive stuff that Bush dumped on us made us scream at TV too.

I was speaking against the election of Obama and what set me off was the "spread the wealth around" comment. Once again, this is where you and I are going to disagree on the ideological grounds and therefore this is not the point of this conversation. The point is, if Hillary became the president or if Pelosi ended up the president and pushed through the same ideas and reforms trying to transform this country into that vision, I would be in front of the Capitol with the sign demanding them to stop.

As for debt numbers, on Obama's watch, we accumulated 4 trillion in debt in 2.5 years. Most of that money was wasted on Keynesian experiment. That is 1/3 of the entire 14 trillion. This is not to say that Republicans are not guilty. The other 10 trillion are the product of "fine" performance by both, Democratic and Republican led Congresses and their crazy wasteful spending. Look beyond the party lines! We are in trouble. If McCain was in office and we had the situation like this, people would have been lashing out at him too.

Just the last point, out of Republican field, the only person I really like is Herman Cain. Before you accuse me of affirmative action or what ever, I want to tell you - I like him because he seems to be a nice person and he is most trustworthy and genuine of that whole bunch. Romney and Perry give me the creeps, Paul is crazy and Bachmann is a religious nut. Cain has background in math, busines and economics - I like his 9/9/9 tax plan. He successfully ran large companies and he seems to be willing to learn when he doesn't know something. If I had to pick him out of that particular line up, he would be the one.

I have met a lot of Tea Party people and non-Tea Party people who don't like Obama. You can call them whatever you want, but not racist. If you bothered to listen to these people's arguments rather than throwing labels at them, you would have seen it.

Valory Bardinas
09-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Washington is far and away - we are just numbers to them. What is happening there right now has nothing to do with our local corruption, which is very close and personal to all of us in local towns.Calabrese Sr. has been in his office for 50+ years, acting all the same, regardless who was in charge of the country.

The culture of corruption in Washington sets an awful standard, but what is happening on the ground here is autonomous and has its own weather. Obama is not to blame here - we are. Apathy of local population allows these crooks to stay in office and do what ever they want. People ignore most of the shenanigans because it doesn't affect them directly most of the times.

However, when it does affect them and they start running around looking for justice, they realize that there is almost nothing they can do because, through their inaction, they allowed the system to transform into what it is. Consequently, the only people who can benefit from this system are the crooks, because they were the only ones who paid attention to it, maintained it and customized it to their purposes.

I agree, we are being ripped off right here in Bergen County. We are paying for the misdeeds of our local politicians through a CORRUPTION TAX, and it is time we joined together and put an end to their illegal careers.
We hired a new tax assessor to our payroll Matthew Rinaldi of Cliffside Park:. Hmmm, that name sounds so familiar. :cool:

Valory Bardinas
09-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Once again, I gave our mayor and council the benefit of the doubt, and actually convinced myself that this would be a fair and balanced meeting. Ha! What a joke. Mayor Delaney opened the meeting with a long oration promoting the “exclusive use of the Borough of Edgewater’s property by the residents of the Colony, through a 20 year exclusive lease agreement.” The meeting began with a resident of Edgewater asking for a Point of Order to question the procedure of the meetings. This resident was quickly shouted down by borough administrator, Greg Franz, exclaiming “You don’t have a Point of Order.” The resident then stated for the record that she believed that Borough Attorney, Phil Boggia, should not be acting as the attorney for this matter, because there is currently an investigation in process by the Attorney Board of Ethics against Mr. Boggia regarding a possible ethics violation. Mr. Boggia became irate and began verbally attacking the resident accusing her of harassing him with ethics complaints. The Mayor and Council sat through this disgusting display of unprofessional behavior without saying a word.

The purpose of this meeting was supposed to be for the public to have the opportunity to express their opinion on the “Major Diversion,” of borough property to the DEP. The meeting was transcribed and I am assuming the minutes will be sent to the DEP. Every time a resident spoke in disagreement with the Major Diversion of borough property, they were either rebuked by some residents of the Colony or admonished by the Mayor or Mr. Franz.
As usual this governing body chooses to be hostile towards anyone who has the nerve and audacity to question them or disagree with them. One thing great minds all agree to, is that dissent is good, it opens the mind to so many possibilities.

Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
Thomas Paine

Zaida D.
09-22-2011, 11:00 AM
My final post:

Historically. Edgewater was an industrial town, with companies such as Ford Motor Company, Alcoa and a host of chemical companies. By the last 60's all of the manufacturing and jobs were gone, and what was left was a toxic wasteland.

Large developers, namely Hartz Mountain, Heller Enterprises and Daibes Construction invested over $1 Billion to bring new housing, shopping malls, restaurants which not only improved the standard of living for all Edgewater residents, it quadrupled the values of their homes and brought new jobs to town. For those who sold, they did well, for those who didn't unfortunately they have higher taxes. Hopefully, future development if done right, will offset some of those taxes.

Recently the state of NJ offered Panasonic $102 Million to remain in NJ and move thier headquarters from Secaucus, NJ to Newark, N.J. Doesn't that sound like a bribe?

Sometimes you have to extend a hand to developers in order to get them to invest in your town. Overall, Edgewater turned out well, including new school, new borough hall, and public marina for residents with boats. Since it seems impossible to change the local government, you don't care for the county government, there are several open items you should focus on and demand assistance from the state government:

1. Clean up of Veteran's field and superfund site on River road.
2. Completion of the state ordered continuous walkway.
3. More green acres money for parks.
4. Strict adherance to NJDEP and EPA regulations or huge fines.
5. State montoring of Mayor and Council and local departments.
6. Mandatory monthly mayor and council meetings televised on cable TV.

Zaida D.
New member: www.southfloridateapary.net

MHogan201
09-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Just a few comments on your last post.

I love Edgewater. That is why my family and I have lived here for 4 generations.

Reaching out to developers to develop a town is a positive thing. However, what happened in Edgewater was that, years ago, when the town was just starting to be "redeveloped", a certain developer was threatened - well actually his family was threatened - not to build because someone else was interested in developing that land. Investigations were done, etc, etc. So Edgewater has been developed, basically, by just one or two developers. Like any monopoly, the results are not always what you want but you have no choice. No one else would touch this town. Word does get around.

As for the new school, personally, I feel we replaced a well built, classic, brick building, with a box. No character. No creative thinking. The $29 million dollar price tag will, at the end of the bonding, cost the tax payers of Edgewater $1 million a year in bond cost - just for this one bond.

The new Borough Hall is practically in North Bergen (last Block and Lot in Edgewater) and living in the north end, I am sure it will delay response time to me in a time of emergency especially if it is during rush hour (morning or night). It will probably be faster for our emergency services to go through Cliffside Park to get to the north end of town (if Route 5 is ever reopened ;)).

A wise person once told me that you can hold developer's feet to the fire and get what you really want so long as they make money. But don't be fooled. If they can make more money by cutting corners, they will do so unless you watch them. And this is one of Edgewater's biggest flaws with regard to development. Our Master Plan has long been torn to pieces by the piece meal development. Where is our tree line highway (River Road - that's such a joke) that was in our plan? Only in front of Waterford and City Place do you get any inkling as to what it could have and should have been.

The Marina slips have to be rented by lottery so it is not just for Edgewater residents. There are some, but most of the boats I have seen have different town names on their hulls. I think the marina is beautiful and would like to see more of them. It is much better than the strip mall that was planned. But I strongly object to providing a free, door-to-door shuttle service that the taxpayers subsidize. The ferry is a private enterprise and should be providing the transportation.

Residential development does not reduce taxes. It only increases them because of the services that need to be provided. As far as I know, the Rutgers study still holds in that for every $1.00 you get in taxes, you spend approximately $1.60 in services (the new school being a prime example).

You stated:

"1. Clean up of Veteran's field and superfund site on River road.
2. Completion of the state ordered continuous walkway.
3. More green acres money for parks.
4. Strict adherence to NJDEP and EPA regulations or huge fines.
5. State monitoring of Mayor and Council and local departments.
6. Mandatory monthly mayor and council meetings televised on cable TV."

Congratulations! You have just reiterated a good part of the I.C.B.E. Mission Statement and what our members have fought for for years. I truly hope you are a member or at least a supporter.

Enjoy Florida! :thumbsup:

Mary Hogan

trekkie
09-24-2011, 06:28 PM
We hired a new tax assessor to our payroll Matthew Rinaldi of Cliffside Park:. Hmmm, that name sounds so familiar. :cool:

I think Rinaldi's other job is Real Estate appraisals.

trekkie
09-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Dear Trekkie and Sky Walker,

Thank you for standing up for me. You both conduct yourselves with honor and integrity.

Sometimes people will say hurtful and hateful things out of ignorance, not realizing the harm and pain it can cause. I truly feel sorry for those poor souls. When they say those things, it renders everything they say irrelevant.

How did politics turn this ugly? They even called Bill Clinton a racist for supporting his wife Hillary during her presidential campain.

If Mitt Romney is elected President and someone complains or gives an opinion, does it automatically mean they hate Mormons, and it's religious discrimination? Does the same apply if the President were Hispanic, Gay, female, Senior Citizen, Jewish or Muslim?

There are discrimination laws in this country for certain protected classes, however they do not apply to the President of the United States.

Very logical. Thanks, Zaida. Good luck in Florida.

trekkie
09-24-2011, 06:36 PM
The new Borough Hall is practically in North Bergen (last Block and Lot in Edgewater) and living in the north end, I am sure it will delay response time to me in a time of emergency especially if it is during rush hour (morning or night). It will probably be faster for our emergency services to go through Cliffside Park to get to the north end of town (if Route 5 is ever reopened ;)).

You are right! River Road is such a mess and the closest hospital is in the opposite direction. The ambulance has to drive all the way north to your house and then drive all the way back - that is at least extra 20 minutes in rush hour or on Saturday.

Sky Warrior
09-26-2011, 11:01 AM
You are right! River Road is such a mess and the closest hospital is in the opposite direction. The ambulance has to drive all the way north to your house and then drive all the way back - that is at least extra 20 minutes in rush hour or on Saturday.

Trekkie, did they move the First Aid Squad from the center of town near WholeFoods to the new building at the south end of town? I thought the First Aid Squad was going to move into the old Borough Hall building in the future. Don't tell me, are they now selling our old Borough Hall building?

MHogan201
09-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Sky Warrior:

The first aid squad is suppose to be in the old Borough Hall.

Renovations have not been completed yet as far as I know. We'll see what they find when they go to upgrade for the first aid squad. Those guys deserve the best and they have waited too long for it. :yep:

Mary Hogan

trekkie
09-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Trekkie, did they move the First Aid Squad from the center of town near WholeFoods to the new building at the south end of town? I thought the First Aid Squad was going to move into the old Borough Hall building in the future. Don't tell me, are they now selling our old Borough Hall building?

I don't know if they are planning to move the ambulance services to the new building. Are they? Mary says they are to stay in the old building.

Usually, when you call 911 with medical emergency, the cops show up first. If it is urgent, they administer the CPR or what ever. Then ambulance arrives and does the rest. If the ambulance is not at the "nest", but on the way to/from the hospital, the cops are the first line of response and they are at 55 River Rd. now.

It does make more sense to keep the first responders equa-distance from the edges of town.

As for the old building, the last I saw, they were announcing the renovations. Can they even sell it? It is a historical building and I believe it is protected by preservation law of some kind. They sold that old school on the Gorge Rd though....

Mary and Valory are better people to ask about these things. They have their hands on the pulse of all what is happening in town.

Zaida D.
12-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Case is moving forward:

33 Washington Sreet
Newark, NJ 08625-0049

Clerk
Phone (973)648-7136
Fax (973)648-6058

NJDEP v. River-Lookout Associates, LLC
OAL Docket No. ECE12810-2011

Pre-trial hearing was held on November 16, 2011
Trial date is set for March 5, 2012 at 9AM

If you wish to write at the above address:
Presiding Judge is Walter M. Braswell
Phone (973)648-6036
Fax (973)648-6124

The future Edgewater Lookout and Park is near!

Mike
02-13-2012, 09:25 AM
I guess there is no love lost between Judge Napolitano and Daibes.Nor Fox News. They just canned him for this. The sad thing is that everything he said also applies on a local level.

http://www.youtube.com/v/fOaCemmsnNk?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0

Sky Warrior
02-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Nor Fox News. They just canned him for this. The sad thing is that everything he said also applies on a local level.

HELLO!!!! Guess the Judge left the establishment "PLANTATION" and had to be taught a lesson.

trekkie
02-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Nor Fox News. They just canned him for this. The sad thing is that everything he said also applies on a local level.

Nobody canned the Judge. I am looking at him on Fox right now.... He says those things all the time. One thing about Fox, love it or hate it, they allow a variety of opinions and they don't fire people over what they say - CNN and MSNBC do...

As for what the Judge said, he is right on general principal. He has a very straight out Libertarian point of view. I disagree with his opinion of Ron Paul, though. Paul is not the answer, he is in it for power like everybody else. Just because others are bad, does not mean he is better. He is just a different king of bad. Paul does not uphold his own principles when push comes to shove. He spoke about the term limits and promised to leave the office at the end of his term, but when the time came, he went back on his word. The fact that there are two Pauls in Congress right now is a dynastic issue of its own.

trekkie
02-14-2012, 12:54 PM
HELLO!!!! Guess the Judge left the establishment "PLANTATION" and had to be taught a lesson.

The Judge didn't go anywhere. He still has the show on Fox Business Network and still works as the guest legal commentator on Fox News. What he said on this particular video, he says all the time. Fox is not oppressive as others might want you to believe....

Mike
02-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Nobody canned the Judge. I am looking at him on Fox right now.... He says those things all the time.Have you seen his Facebook page?

http://www.facebook.com/JudgeNapolitano

Sky Warrior
02-14-2012, 02:48 PM
The Judge didn't go anywhere. He still has the show on Fox Business Network and still works as the guest legal commentator on Fox News. What he said on this particular video, he says all the time. Fox is not oppressive as others might want you to believe....

Thanks for clearing that up. I like the Judge, too bad his show was cancelled.

trekkie
02-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Have you seen his Facebook page?

http://www.facebook.com/JudgeNapolitano

Hm-m-m.... I see. Well, that is too bad. They do cancel shows and start new ones, depending on the ratings - his show lost 2/3 of the viewers and ended up at 40,000. They canceled 2 other shows as well to re-hash the lineup. He is still staying as a contributor and a guest host. Lets see how that goes.

I spoke with some people who work for Fox. They said that it is a nice place to work - there is not much "drama" going on and most decisions are based on business metrics not office politics.

Thanks for the info.

trekkie
02-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Thanks for clearing that up. I like the Judge, too bad his show was cancelled.

Yup, the show is gone... I hope he is going to do more commentaries on Fox News - I like his thorough analysis of things.

Sky Warrior
02-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Yup, the show is gone... I hope he is going to do more commentaries on Fox News - I like his thorough analysis of things.

Me too, he always seems to have provide a good balance.

Zaida D.
05-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Dear Mary,

The litigation is still ongoing for the $2 Million DEP fine assessed on this property. The next telephone hearing date is June 7. 2012 at 3:30PM. A letter from a prominent resident such as yourself to Judge Braswell would be helpful.

Edgewater should ask that the $2 Million fine be upheld and given back to Edgewater to be used toward the remediation of Veteran's Field.

Thanks,

Zaida D.

Zaida D.
09-30-2012, 03:15 PM
For those who are wondering what happened with this case, it still has not been resolved. It has taken so long, that Judge Braswell has retired before its completion. Judge Carol I. Cohen has now taken the case. The next telephone hearing will be on November 5 at 4PM.

Can you believe that this local developer refuses to remove the illegal fill, refuses to pay the fine, the same developer was hired to remediate Veteran's Field and the same developer is being paid to remediate the Quanta superfund site and will build thousands of new apartments in Edgewater.

I've had enough. I'll be living in Florida full time starting next month. Goodbye Edgewater, hello sunshine.

Zaida D.
12-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Guess what? This illegal dumping case is still has not been resolved.

Next telephone conference hearing is on 1/7/13 at 3:30pm.

I've heard that the wheels of justice move slowly, but in this case the axle seems to be broken. One would think this could be resolved in a day.

ROAD RUNNER
12-28-2012, 04:58 PM

I've heard that the wheels of justice move slowly, but in this case the axle seems to be broken. One would think this could be resolved in a day.

Hey,

When you make generous political donations to local, county, state & federal campaigns you buy a lot politicians in HIGH places. :yep: Example, former Governor Corzine's comes to mind, it appears he will be avoiding criminal prosecution. :confused:

So it seems the axle of justice is broken or in this case "justice is blind"! :crazy:

ROAD RUNNER
12-28-2012, 08:52 PM

A DECADE + LATER and the same cast of unsavory characters' are still openly and freely operating in Edgewater.

September 27, 1994
DUMPING PROBE IN EDGEWATER GATHERS STEAM
GRAND JURY ISSUES SUBPOENAS
Author: By JEFF PILLETS, Staff Writer; The Record
Dateline: EDGEWATER

The arrest in July of a truck driver accused of illegally dumping construction debris along the Hudson River has spurred a grand jury probe of illegal waterfront dumping in the borough, Bergen County officials say.

Assistant Prosecutor David Yucht has confirmed that investigators armed with grand jury subpoenas recently hauled box loads of records including building permits and construction plans from the Edgewater Building Department.

Although Yucht declined to detail what was removed, Edgewater officials said that among the materials taken by investigators were records pertaining to the Planning Board's 1984 approval of a high-rise residential project that was never built.

The vacant site is owned by King's Ferry Associates, whose principals include James Demetrakis, a Fort Lee attorney and prominent developer, and a group of co-investors. It was on the vacant King's Ferry North site at 945 River Road that East Rutherford resident Michael Marzocca allegedly dumped construction debris as an employee of the Assad Y. Daibes & Sons general contracting firm in Edgewater. The firm is now owned by real estate investor Fred Daibes, a friend and business partner of Demetrakis'. County officials say that Marzocca, who has pleaded not guilty to charges of illegal waterfront dumping, was hauling wood, cable, and other material from a Myrtle Avenue demolition site owned by Daibes. Neither Marzocca nor Daibes returned phone calls placed last week and Monday.

Reached Monday evening, Demetrakis said that neither he nor Daibes authorized Marzocca to dump on the site. Indeed, he maintained that there had been no illegal dumping. Rather, he said, Marzocca had simply pulled over to fix the door on his truck and some material had inadvertently fallen from the truck. :rofl:

If Marzocca is found guilty, he will receive a mandatory fine of at least $2,500, possible loss of his driver's license for up to a year, 90 days' community service, and a possible six-month jail term. A trial date has not been set.
Although Yucht would not outline the scope of the probe, an official in the Bergen County Sheriff's Office said he expected other charges to be filed in connection with the investigation in the coming weeks.

In Edgewater, officials say they have no idea what the county is looking into or why the county seized materials from Borough Hall. Building Inspector Frank Pollotta declined to detail what was taken from his office, saying that county officials warned him to keep silent on the matter. The probe, he said, does not involve procedures in his office, "since we're strictly aboveboard here."

Mayor Bryan Christiansen also defended his building office, and said the borough has not had a problem with illegal waterfront dumping. Christiansen, echoing similar statements by members of the Borough Council, accused the county of "conducting a witch hunt" on the waterfront. :Point: "Who knows what they're up to?" he said. "I didn't know that the sheriff's office patrolled down here." :

Marzocca was charged after he was allegedly spotted dumping by a Bergen County sheriff's officer who said he was passing through Edgewater on an unrelated assignment.

The King's Ferry property, which Demetrakis and his fellow investors purchased from Fort Lee developer Donald Ivaldi, was involved in the downfall of Thomas Tansey. The former Edgewater mayor served 18 months in federal prison after he was convicted of accepting a $20,000 bribe from Ivaldi.

trekkie
12-29-2012, 02:15 AM
Are you freaking kidding me?!:banghead:

clearvista
12-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Mayor Bryan Christiansen also defended his building office, and said the borough has not had a problem with illegal waterfront dumping. Christiansen, echoing similar statements by members of the Borough Council, accused the county of "conducting a witch hunt" on the waterfront. :Point: "Who knows what they're up to?" he said. "I didn't know that the sheriff's office patrolled down here." :They patrolled till they got paid off or else this couldn't keep going on. These people are scumbags they should get cancer and die a slow death.

Mike
12-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Rather, he said, Marzocca had simply pulled over to fix the door on his truck and some material had inadvertently fallen from the truck.I ask you, who hasn't had that happen to them one time or another? :rolleyes: Kidding aside, I've heard from oldtimers about early-Sunday-morning dumping that the town certainly knew about.

The King's Ferry property, which Demetrakis and his fellow investors purchased from Fort Lee developer Donald Ivaldi, was involved in the downfall of Thomas Tansey. The former Edgewater mayor served 18 months in federal prison after he was convicted of accepting a $20,000 bribe from Ivaldi.www.edgewaterunited.com/#veteransfield

Thanks for posting that article.

ROAD RUNNER
12-30-2012, 09:43 AM
I ask you, who hasn't had that happen to them one time or another? :rolleyes: Kidding aside, I've heard from oldtimers about early-Sunday-morning dumping that the town certainly knew about.

www.edgewaterunited.com/#veteransfield

Thanks for posting that article.

You are welcome and more articles will be posted, I stumbled across a treasure trove of old articles on the Internet. It is a unbelievable what went on here and just amazing that the same or similar corruption is stlil taking place UNCHECKED by state & federal authorities. :confused::crazy:

One would think the proper authorities, aware of the corrupt history of this town would look at the complaints filed in the past 5-8 years and connect the dots. :confused:

Zaida D.
03-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Next telephone conference is scheduled for Monday April 1, 2013 at 4:00PM.

Zaida D.
10-16-2013, 12:04 PM
update:

Last telephone conference was July 16, 2013.

Next telephone conference is January 14, 2014 at 4PM.

I'm not sure what exactly happens on these telephone conference calls, but how long does it take to make a decision.

In November 2009 the Attorney General ordered that all fill be removed from behind Le Jardin. That was 4 years ago.

What is the point of giving an order if nobody listens?

Zaida D.
01-07-2014, 11:03 AM
* Illegal fill
* No Permit-Roof over porch
* No Permit-Expanded parking lot
* Edgewater resident civil suit
* $2 Million NJDEP fine
* Ordered to remove fill

4 Years-nothing has been done.

Now is the time to have your voices heard. Please demand justice by writing to:

Judge Carol I. Cohen
State of NJ Office of Administrative Law
33 Washington Ave.
Newark, N.J. 07102
(973)648-6084 Phone
(973)648-6124 Fax

Re: NJDEP v. River-Lookout Assoc.
Case #ECE12810-2011

The next telephone hearing is on January 14, 2014 @ 4PM. The developer continues to thumb his nose at the DEP and the town.

No action on your part could mean the fine is voided, the illegal fill will remain and a new apartment building could be built packed with children going to the already crowded schools. Please write a letter. The future of Edgewater depends on it.

Mike
01-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Now is the time to have your voices heard. Please demand justice by writing to:How do you suggest this be worded?